Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Squire motors
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mikeholi

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2015 :  12:54:37  Show Profile
When I worked in Henley-on-Thames many years ago the local photographer was Bushell and Sons whose shop was opposite my office.
I think I must have got the two photos from there as their stamp is on the reverse of the pictures.
Squire Motor company was in Remenham Hill and started by a young Adrian Morgan Squire in the 30`s. He used to work for MG before embarking on his own
They made very attractive sports cars which were probably too expensive.
Only 7 were made before the company failed.
The photos are not of a Squire however, so does anyone out their have any knowledge /input as to why they were looking after a racing MG

MikeHoli

Oz34

United Kingdom
2494 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2015 :  14:10:35  Show Profile
Hello Mike,

This is the K3, K3004 belonging to Adrian Squire's colleague "Jock" Manby Colgrave. In case the search function is still down, go to http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5930 and you will find quite a long discussion about it.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2015 :  14:24:37  Show Profile
Like the 'slicks'!

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
864 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2015 :  14:43:41  Show Profile
Isn't that a lovely photo with Jock Manby-Colegrave and his proud and happy Crew !

K3004 was fitted with a short-tail body, and prior to his leaving for the 1933 RAC Ulster TT, the photo was taken outside the Remenham Hill Garage with the men who built the Squires.

Later this photo also graced the cover of the Magazine "Vintage" Volume 1 Number 5 (Four Shillings)

Gerhard

Edited by - Gerhard Maier on 16/11/2015 14:44:54
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2015 :  15:47:57  Show Profile
Jonathan Wood has just published his book "Squire, the man, the cars and the Heritage"
Full details at www.squirebook.co.uk so all the "gen " should be in there!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

mikeholi

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2015 :  17:00:43  Show Profile
Dave

Thanks for that link

That discussion helps to enlighten me considerably

Mike
quote:
Originally posted by Oz34

Hello Mike,

This is the K3, K3004 belonging to Adrian Squire's colleague "Jock" Manby Colgrave. In case the search function is still down, go to http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5930 and you will find quite a long discussion about it.

Cheers,

Dave

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2015 :  17:06:28  Show Profile
A print of the second picture used to hang in the public bar of the Chequers Inn at Fingest - one of my locals - although no one there was ever too certain why. It's only few miles from Henley-on-Thames though....

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

mikeholi

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2015 :  17:48:51  Show Profile
Dick

What is the Chequers Inn like these days. I used to go there on many occasions in my younger years

Mike
quote:
Originally posted by DickMorbey

A print of the second picture used to hang in the public bar of the Chequers Inn at Fingest - one of my locals - although no one there was ever too certain why. It's only few miles from Henley-on-Thames though....

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2015 :  19:47:34  Show Profile
Mike, like all pubs its fortunes ebb and flow, but at present it's good with good food too!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2015 :  03:01:48  Show Profile

In the second photo of the K3 from the side view there seems to be what looks like an air scoop to cool the oil sump.

Any comments?

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2015 :  08:59:59  Show Profile
The K3 carries a spare wheel but does not appear to be registered for the road. Could that have been to comply with some race regulation?.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2015 :  10:57:26  Show Profile
Manby-Colegrave entered K3004 in the RAC TT Race at Ards Circuit on the 2nd September 1933 and carried race number 18. I don't know whether U.K. road registration was needed for this race but I would have thought so. He and his co-driver E L Gardner came 7th and were the fourth M.G. to finish, behind Nuvolari,(K3003) Hamilton (J4002) and Hall (K3006). A good effort by Squire Motors.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

giw

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2016 :  08:59:57  Show Profile
I am searching for any information regarding my father's time at Squire where he was involved in the building of these beautiful cars. His name was Hector George Wond. A copy of his marriage certificate appears in Jonathon Woods book Squire, the witnesses on the certificate were Adian Squires secretary Miriam Sargeant, Squire sales director Reginald Slay and store man Sid Hiscock. Any information would be much appreciated
Geoff Wond

giw
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  20:49:54  Show Profile
A quick family update on the Remenham Hill/Squire scenario. One of my sons and his family recently moved to the house next door to the former Squire Works. The link with the old business is maintained by the adjacent Whitehill garage, which receives occasional visitors intent on following the Adrian Squire trail.

All of this prompted me to buy the excellent Jonathan Wood book on the Squire story, which I was interested to note contains acknowledgements for the contributions made by numerous Triple-M luminaries!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
226 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  21:39:51  Show Profile
Hi Ray,

I have not been able to find any photos of K3004 with UK registration.

It has at times in Australia had the UK registration number JB 1411 displayed but this is not a legitimate AUS registration number.

cheers
ross kelly

Edited by - Ross Kelly on 10/02/2019 21:40:39
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  12:46:20  Show Profile
Very well known photos - wouldn't it be great if the service van had also survived!

Ross is the lucky current owner of K3004.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000