Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 help
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

William Cullen

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2016 :  13:03:40  Show Profile
Hi All
Following a chance meeting with a Ian Hammond whilst out in my P type he told me that his father owned a mg during the 1930s,he was unsure what model and ask if I could check if it was around. He has subsequently sent some photos of his dad and his dads best friend and their cars whilst on a tour of Germany.
Ian's dads car is DPG 645 and his friends BLJ 785.his friends name and Ian's godfather is no less than Donald Maclean son of the Maclean tooth paste founder. It seem that they also active in in racing there cars at Brooklands. Donald was to be come a spy and ended his days in Russia.
I believe that the cars are PB but can one of you experts help and is there any way of finding more detail with just the reg. number?
Thanks

Bill

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2016 :  13:57:30  Show Profile
DPG is a PB ,but BLJ is an NB type. Haven't got access to a register but to me it looks like it may have started life as an Allingham bodied car(note bonnet and catches, different screen etc) , but it has obviously been heavily modified by this stage.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2016 :  21:02:11  Show Profile
Bill,

Terrific pictures!

DPGB is PB0598, a car that we have not heard anything of since around 1975. It's thought to have been converted from PA2199. C W Hammond of Whyteleafe, Surrey was the first owner of this car, although the first registration date was 1 March 1936, so I think we should assume that the German trip was made that year, rather than 1934?

Unfortunately BLJ 785 does not show up on our Register database, nor does the name Maclean, but I agree with Oliver that the car appears to be an NB.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 08/12/2016 21:04:15
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5986 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2016 :  21:44:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by William Cullen

... no less than Donald Maclean son of the Maclean tooth paste founder.

We know that everything that we read on the internet is true but this would suggest that Sir Donald Maclean must have been a busy man fitting in inventing toothpaste with being an MP from 1906 until his death in 1932; being Leader of the Opposition from 1918 and 1920; and also serving in the Government from 1931 until his death the following year.

It was, of course, New Zealander Alex Maclean who invented Maclean's toothpaste.

Yes, I know, I know, I'm getting my coat and going out now!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2016 :  22:28:41  Show Profile
I agree the NB looks as if it could be an Allingham, as Oliver has noted the bonnet and catches are completely different to the standard bodied N types as is the windscreen.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  10:59:56  Show Profile
D Maclean was certainly a regular trials driver in the early thirties competing in MCC trials and the "Brighton - Beer" with a variety of M.G.s, some of 847cc capacity and others of 1271cc and 1287cc. His name does not appear in Boddy's "History of Brooklands, although that does not necessarily mean that he never drove there. I also am unsure as to whether he was the Russian spy.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan Elliott

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  22:12:27  Show Profile
I think BLJ is wearing a BARC Brooklands badge. The 4th badge down in the centre of the radiator.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2016 :  02:50:01  Show Profile

Here's a copy of the V3 index card for DPG 645 which clarifies
( if needed!) what Dick M. reported.

Please note Dick, that you have a typo in your posting on the Reg. number.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2016 :  20:46:09  Show Profile
The N type is NA 909, Black with green upholstery .
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2016 :  21:03:26  Show Profile
Thanks Brian

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

William Cullen

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2016 :  16:37:32  Show Profile
Good evening all
a big thank you from myself and Ian who is amazed as to the information you have supplied.Simon you can take your coat off this Donald was not the spy but a son of the family of the tooth paste manufacturer and quite a wealthy young man.
Brian we wondered why you have or traced the transfer document were you connected to the car some way?
Olli thanks for the info on the n type where did you get your info was it from the factory file?
Ian tells me he has various Trophies and tankards won by Donald when he took part in the Junior Car Club events in the 1930,s and will bring them over to me when he comes over to see my PA in the new year
I will take photos and post them on this page.
Happy Christmas to you all

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2016 :  21:59:24  Show Profile

Hello Bill.

Sadly I had no connection with DPG 645.

It was just a case of being so impressed with the photos that you posted that I tried to help with your inquiry.

I contacted The Kithead Trust who hold the Reg. Files for Surrey.

All that they had was the Index card which gives the transfer details.
Here is a part of the reply I received.

"A scan of the card for DPG 645 is attached. All that can be deduced is that the car passed to an owner in Kent from one in Surrey in March 1974. There were presumably no more transfers before the end of 1978 when computerization was completed, after which all files were destroyed as no longer operationally required..

This may not throw much light on the history for you but that is all that survives."

Good Luck with your search, Bill.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Martin Rhodes

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  13:50:32  Show Profile
Great photos. It takes a great deal of insouciance not to look self conscious in Lederhosen!On the top photograph is it clear which of the gentlemen is Donald MacLean? I'm interested as I have a Motorcycling Club silver spoon that was awarded to D MacLean for completing the Exeter Trial in 1935. According to Donald Cowbournes book this was in a Magnette (but unfortunately the registration isn't listed). Donald Maclean apparently took part in a number of MCC trials in the 1930's, also driving a Singer and latterly with a Railton.

regards

Martin

Go to Top of Page

William Cullen

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2017 :  22:59:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Rhodes

Great photos. It takes a great deal of insouciance not to look self conscious in Lederhosen!On the top photograph is it clear which of the gentlemen is Donald MacLean? I'm interested as I have a Motorcycling Club silver spoon that was awarded to D MacLean for completing the Exeter Trial in 1935. According to Donald Cowbournes book this was in a Magnette (but unfortunately the registration isn't listed). Donald Maclean apparently took part in a number of MCC trials in the 1930's, also driving a Singer and latterly with a Railton.
Hello Martin

Thanks for the info sorry its a late response.Bill
regards

Martin

Bill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000