Triple M Register
Triple M Register
Home | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Members | Search | Locate members | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Traders' Forum
 P-TYPE CARPETS by Collingburn coming in 2017
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2017 :  18:36:22  Show Profile
Dear P-Type owners,
These will be made in 2017 for anyone who wants one.
One has been made, I just need to check it in a P-Type and I can take orders, a deposit to secure your order and so I can buy suitable top quality materials and production will start.
These are seriously complicated, labour intensive and a bespoke item so I cannot see them being less than 600 each, plus carriage costs, no vat.
To order please email: collingburn@btinternet.com

James Collingburn

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 04/01/2017 19:07:46

Oz34

United Kingdom
1538 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2017 :  18:52:51  Show Profile
OK James, how much deposit and how do I pay it?

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2017 :  19:02:22  Show Profile
Hi Dave,
You can have the first one after I've checked it in a P-Type in the north. I have you on email.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
1538 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2017 :  20:48:47  Show Profile
Many thanks James.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

AJR

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  20:14:46  Show Profile
James. How long will it take if I place an order

Regards

Andrew Riches
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2017 :  05:17:48  Show Profile
Hi Andrew,
I have you on email.
So everyone is aware: This weekend I am test fitting the first (pictured) completed carpet in a P-Type in Leeds so I can check it fits etc. and excuse the trimming pun, nail it.
Once we (I have someone highly skilled to help me) are happy these will be made.
To order just email me collingburn@btinternet.com and eventually I will reply.

NOW IS THE TIME! for these to be made, so tell your fellow P-Type owners worldwide.
It is very expensive carpet so if you want extra bits over the length of transmission tunnel etc then just tell me but they are charged on top, not included in the price.
These carpets are an absolute pain, infact the most complex thing I have ever made hence why most trimmers won't touch them with a bargepole. So they will be expensive, it can't be helped but they will be great.

To begin with: Carpets in Black wool carpet (Wilton) only for 2 Strs, RHD P-Types.
All other variations are further down the line.

James Collingburn

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 06/01/2017 05:32:20
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1104 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2017 :  17:43:27  Show Profile
James

Glad to see you are up and running again...

Looking forward to when you progress to Fs and Js.

cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2017 :  17:53:29  Show Profile
Hi Peter,
all in good time my good man.
Carpets for 2 str Fs, Js and Ls are easy compared to P-Types and there are 2 different styles but I'm not looking at them yet.

James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  18:52:55  Show Profile
Carpets for P-Type 2 seaters only update.
Firstly, thank you very much to fellow Yorkshire man Terry Hartley, a lovely chap, who kindly let my colleague and I get inside his beautiful cream P-Type to poke our noses around.

The previous owner had just laid carpet in Terry's car to cover the floor, it wasn't one of these so we couldn't compare.
On the whole it fits very well and answered a few questions. We've come up with the best solution for the extra bit that goes along the length of the transmission tunnel up to the diff/under the seatback. Also a piece of sound deadening material under the seatbases/seatback but behind the wooden slat on the floor won't do any harm but I don't think we will be binding those as you don't see them. More labour = most cost to customers and I am trying to keep it down but do it right.
I will put up pics when we have finalised it as I don't wish to confuse at the prototype stage.

Can you all do me a favour, please refer to the photos of the carpet earlier in this thread.
Does the carpet need to have the elaborate skullcap on or not? Going off Terry's car the only thing that passes through that area is the speedo cable. It goes through a hole in the carpet underneath the skull cap so we don't understand why it is there in the first place?
Purely from a trimming point of view those skull caps take 45-60 mins to make well. If we don't have to make them then the cost of a Collingburn P-Type carpet reduces by an hour's labour which saves you money.

I just asked my Dad who used to be the No.1 expert on all these things, please keep in mind he is nearly 71 and Parkinsons has affected his thinking, he said: "The reduction gearbox on early cars Js, Fs and Ls was smaller so you didn't need the skullcap.
the reduction gearbox was bigger on later cars Ps, Ns etc. so the skullcap was introduced".

It just seems an excessive amount of labour to make this skull cap when you have to either crudely cut or punch a hold in it anyway for the speedo cable to come through.
The skullcap is sewn to the carpet below, it isn't partly sewn or left free.
The sooner I'm convinced it needs or doesn't need to be there the sooner we will make more.
I'm all for keeping things as original as possible but I don't want to waste valuable manufacturing time on something not needed.

Regards James Collingburn

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 08/01/2017 19:00:20
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  19:20:15  Show Profile
Why the elaborate skullcap when all that passes through that area is the speedo cable?
The other photo is the underside showing the D shaped hole, this is the underside. If we ditched the skullcap completely this would look neat and pretty from above.

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
1538 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  19:31:44  Show Profile
Hi James,

Two answers, certainly as far as I know, firstly as I understand things the tunnel was originally in leather to match the seats as this which is the well known "barn find" P that was sold a year or two ago by Sussex Sports Cars:

Secondly it may well be that some people will need the skull cap and others not. The P originally had a 90 degree angle drive to carry the speedo cable forwards to the bulkhead where it exits the carpet where the right hand side flaps over the left:

This is my car and I certainly need the cap as the top of the angle drive is quite a way up from the line of the shaft tunnel, and clearly it was meant to accommodate this. Quite a lot of people do away with the angle drive and carry the cable straight up from the gearbox. I would imagine they would prefer just a bound hole for the cable to pass through, but obviously they must speak for themselves.

Cheers,

Dave

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
1538 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  19:43:14  Show Profile
Ah! You posted again while I was doing mine. I had always assumed (what do they say about that?.....) that the angle drive was completely covered by the skull cap and the cable, as I said above, went under the carpet to the front. Looking at your new pics I guess the angle drive is covered but the cable passes out through the D shaped hole and goes forward above the carpet.

Even if that is the case I would still prefer to pay for the cap on my own carpet as this seems to be the original arrangement. If I was not going to have it, I might as well just carpet the floor and leave the gearbox uncovered, which I could easily do myself!

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
893 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  21:36:01  Show Profile
Carpet over speedo-cable right-angle drive...........like this:

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  22:01:59  Show Profile
Thanks for this guys.
I know I'm being pedantic here but you have to be when understanding "why did they do that?"
I still don't really see what the cap actually does. Does it protect anything or stop something rubbing against something else? When it comes to this you guys know more than I as you own the cars, I make stuff for them very well but because I supply customers all over the world I do it without the car. I really do appreciate the info by the way, a massive help. I'm sure you can appreciate I want customers to be happy and no carpets coming back to me not right.
So why the 3 rectangular pieces of vinyl sewn on? It just seems overly complicated to solve a simple solution.

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 08/01/2017 22:20:04
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
251 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  22:21:35  Show Profile
Looks great, well done James.
I recommend the skull cap as it looks right and adds to the character of the car.
Remembering there was a difference between PA/NAs and PB/NBs where the speedo drive on the latter cars runs the speedo, whereas on the earlier cars runs the odometer. I'm not sure if the angle drive is needed at least on earlier cars, and know a number of PA owners who choose not to use one.
Donald
PB0759
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  22:38:50  Show Profile
Ignore me, it's getting late and the red wine is affecting me.
The 3 sewn on bits of vinyl are a strengthening as the carpet is slit underneath. I know this, we made it haha.
Oh well, at least I've taught you guys something.
Righty, time for me to come off here for tonight me thinks :-)
PS thanks for the info it is greatly helping us fill in the blanks.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple M Register © 2003-2018 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000