Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Overdrive on MG F
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gordon

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2017 :  08:47:16  Show Profile
I think that Terry makes a good point. When the cars were made there were no motorways and engines were not designed specifically for running continuously for hours at fast speeds. On ordinary 'period' roads you were necessarily lifting your foot off the throttle quite often which helped oiling the bores and valve guides. As a guide, if you have to use a motorway, limit your max revs to 2/3 max and deliberately lift your foot off the accelerator every mile or so. If you have an oil temperature gauge keep a close eye on it and back off speed if it starts to climb from normal. Brook lands was a notorious engine breaker and caster oil was a necessity.

Gordon
ex owner of PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2017 :  09:11:23  Show Profile
Dear Gordon and Forum:

I am not thinking in terms of boy racer.
More a long distance touring car for motorway work and overtaking on modern roads.
Modern cars are faster and will continue to do so..
Roads of all type fuller.
The standard of driving is very poor, relying on technology to avoid trouble.
Next time you travel on a motorway or fast road sit back and view what passes for driving at speed.
Coffee is running low and jobs call.
All the best.

John Bakewell

Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2017 :  09:50:39  Show Profile
Hi John,
sounds like you may have the wrong car for your plans....if you do use motorways in a Triple-M the hours after midnight and before dawn are perfect... not so much traffic and cool air!
Also come off at the junctions which have a roundabout over/under the motorway go round and then back on.... you go up and down the gears/revs and give the mechanicals a bit of a stirring-up.
Even better is go to rural France... wide open spaces and (mostly away from Urban centres) little traffic.
I ran my F2 with a 4.5:1 diff (8/36 ex Q-type CWP) all the usual engine and cooling mods and that was good for touring and unlike sitting all day in a modern car stops at suitable watering holes were planned and necessary! The C-type has no problem with the speed of modern traffic ... you just get slowed down in the outside lane..... great for short runs unless you want to be deaf! Though did drive it to Copenhagen, race, and then drive back..... lots of things worked loose!. Now using the 18/80 for touring...Rat recovery ongoing and hopefully soon to be completed.....
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2017 :  13:02:23  Show Profile
Dear Forum:

I started this thread to generate light not heat.
Hence my invitation for ideas and experience with modern modifications.I am hoping to benefit from others knowledge and experience.
We all use improvements such as led bulbs, better oil, fuels,
Water less coolant, paint , plus so many more.
The list goes on and on.
I for one welcome them and use most.

If you find this topic painful please do not be offended, best to look away now.
I wish only to engage in positive and constructive ideas.
The car is capable of operating at greater capacity;
look at the model profile for the K.
Unless anybody can loan me a time machine, if possible accommodating the car.
I will continue this journey.
All the best.

John Bakewell

Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2017 :  14:01:46  Show Profile
Hi again,
you have two different threads in your last post (not THE Last Post).....
Modern stuff... yes I use some modern stuff... seals, bearings, oils etc but still use "R" in the engine, but some modern stuff is just no good for our cars.... waterless coolant is one example.
Some modern stuff is forced on us by legislation or ceased to be made. LED bulbs ....not a problem, our race "rain lights" are LED to comply with regs. 2 pack paint ..add matting agent and it can be made to look like cellulose... and so on. is one thread...
BUT adding overdrives or 5 speed gearboxes changes the nature of the car... and I acquired my MG cars for what they were and their engineering concepts. YES to getting the most out of them.... think I have been doing that for the last 40 years....... is completely different theme as it alters the MG in a significant way.

oh 3rd thread... improving the F-type....Yes but The Magna (Wolseley B6 engine) cannot be treated like a K engine. It is a much earlier and more primitive engine.... which is why MG designed their own follow on engine. What you can do to an F engine would fill several pages of this forum.
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2017 :  18:42:24  Show Profile
John, you say you are looking to engage in positive and constructive ideas to aid you with your touring plans, well, as far as I can see, this is exactly what has been offered in all replies to date.
If you read them as helpful advice from experienced people who have run Triple-M cars for many years and not as people challenging your own pre-conceived ideas then it will improve your chances of stress free touring (if there is such a thing).
Speaking for myself I don't find your topic painful and I certainly am not offended, we have experienced far worse in the past! However, may I advise that you don't suggest members "look away now" as this may divert the attention of the very people who may be able to help you.

Terry
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2017 :  19:23:10  Show Profile
Dear Terry and Forum:

I can see no way forward on this one.
So will stop digging.
Thank-you all.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1544 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2017 :  20:22:56  Show Profile
John,
It’s your car, so do what you want.
You could change your ENV for a manual and fit an overdrive.
The proceeds from selling the ENV will likely fund much of the change. You’ll just have to learn/re-learn to double-declutch!
Not as bad (re the OP’s) as those who still have a non-original Ford engine.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2017 :  21:10:28  Show Profile
Oh dear, an F type ENV is manual .
Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2017 :  22:18:13  Show Profile
I've just had a "Spitfire" flashback...
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1544 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2017 :  22:19:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ollirichardson

Oh dear, an F type ENV is manual .

Oliver,
Please forgive my ignorance of F Types, but were they all with ENV transmissions?
If not, what's the matter with a manual?

I'm a die-hard development engineer and don't take 'no' for an answer without a full explanation!

Bruce. (PB0564)

Edited by - Bruce Sutherland on 24/03/2017 22:24:00
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2017 :  23:18:21  Show Profile
Bruce,

The F type had a manual ENV gearbox not a pre-selector ENV gearbox.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2017 :  09:27:38  Show Profile
FWIW, I've had a taller back axle ratio on my PA/B for some time now, and it does take the strain out of motorway/dual carriageway driving on the occasions when I feel that there is little alternative. Fortunately, if heading south from the Glasgow area, the old A74/A6 runs parallel to the motorway, offering a near traffic-free run on good fast roads.

Before fitting the taller ratio, I had the engine modified in various ways, and suspect that it is now producing ~45-50bhp.

The biggest problem is the mental exercise of adding 10% onto my indicated speed on the rev counter.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2017 :  09:44:40  Show Profile
Be careful Colin
Oliver and myself may be going the other way on your nice roads!
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  09:19:33  Show Profile
Are you guys planning a trip to Scotland before we build a new wall? (Believe me, it'll be yuuge ). Let me know, it would be great to see you.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page