Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 DV5170 runs once again after nearly 50 years.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wallism

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  22:59:13  Show Profile
Immediate caveat - "Runs once again with the correct engine installed after nearly 50 years, having been driven since the early 70's with a Morris sidevalve installed".

Tonight after 17 years of ownership I fired up what was my Father's 1930 M Type with the correct small dynamo OHC engine 1810A. There was a lot of smoke, oil, noise and jubilation.

The best news was that I phoned him up with the carbon monoxide alarm still blaring to give him the good news and he was delighted at age 80 to now have a crack at a drive in the old girl once again.

The last three times I drove this car were:
1. MG Car Club Regency Run London to Brighton where she was No.13 in the lineup
2. To My Dad's third wedding 25 years ago with his wife to be, Chris as passenger
3. To an MoT which I gave up on part way there

Mark Wallis 1930 M-Type DV5170

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  00:19:32  Show Profile
Well done Mark! This is a near heroic achievement and we share your elation.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  09:35:19  Show Profile
And a well done from me, it is nice to know that another triple-m car will grace our roads. Enjoy!

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  12:42:15  Show Profile
Well done, I will make the changes on the database!!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

wallism

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  19:13:08  Show Profile
https://goo.gl/photos/XnV7XCRPBk9EKDaP8

Is this what these things are supposed to sound like?
It may seem like a strange question but for 50 years it has run with a Morris sidevalve engine installed and they don't sound like this at all.
The oil pressure was up in the fifty's but dropped once warm and I didn't rev it to see what happened. Little step by little step!

I know it's a bit "tappety" but I had to open up the clearances a bit until run in because number four never had both valves fully closed at the same time.

Next step , a tentative drive up and down the road once insured of course.

Go to Top of Page

wallism

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2017 :  13:05:51  Show Profile
Thanks for the messages here and offline. I found a few YouTube videos which suggest that this sounds just right. All things are getting into the normal adjustment range too after quite a few gentle warm-ups.

Go to Top of Page

wallism

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2017 :  18:37:11  Show Profile
After a few tentative drives up and down the road I took it round the block on public roads for the first time yesterday. The engine pulls really well and runs very smoothly once warmed up. Brakes work well after a master cylinder rebuild (yes hydraulics) but it emptied the water out from somewhere behind the manifold. Hopefully it's a damaged/deformed crankcase cover or gasket and not the head gasket. It still sounds quite 'whiney' to me, perhaps I need to hear another OHC MMM before I'm happy with that. I set up the bottom end bevel gears as described here and the top end is defined by the Belleville washers on the cam so I'm wondering if my starter isn't disengaging! Also it gets very hot, I know the radiator isn't much good from what my Dad told me and from the flow test done when Kempston Radiators modified it for me. I reckon I need to invest in a radiator core, a J2 oil pump and a brake light modification before it's much use on the road.

Go to Top of Page

wallism

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2017 :  13:12:15  Show Profile
Not only does the correct carb look nicer it now runs much more smoothly and revs a lot more. I have the lid for the large float bowl but not the bowl itself so that will have to wait.

Go to Top of Page

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2017 :  13:27:43  Show Profile
Mark,
Fantastic well done and enjoy the car
Best

Ashley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic