Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Who bought MGs in the thirties?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2017 :  03:04:59  Show Profile

This memo regarding K.0404 which was a K1 saloon
Black/brown . Black wheels. Sold by Car Mart Ltd. Euston Road.

The second to the last line should read "..either the owner or the.."

Reminds me of a Bob Dylan line. "Money doesn't talk, it swears."

Brian. No Connection with the car.

Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2017 :  14:09:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Westbury

Thanks Vitesse.
' My' Lt. Commander Day had the initials F.C.N. in case of any confusion. Wonder if He was related to Sir Archibald Day?

Chris.

He turns up on Ancestry with the award of a Navy Long Service and Good Conduct Medal in 1935 - then apparently still a Lieutenant. Service commenced 1923. Looks to have retired in about 1937 as a Lt-Cdr but re-enlisted for the duration in October 1939, assigned to a 'stone frigate' - HMS President III: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_President_(shore_establishment)#HMS_President_III

1942 and 1944 phone book records show him living in Parkstone.

Other than that I can't find much. It's possible he was the Frederick C Day who died in Winchester in 1968, but that's more guesswork and circumstantial than anything else!
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2017 :  15:03:44  Show Profile
My car N902 is another that went to a medical man Dr D W Pritchard .He would appear to have been the son of a garage owner, Pritchard's of WadHurst West Sussex. Geoff
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2017 :  17:42:56  Show Profile
I can't speak for other models, but J types had a fair number of the nations' nobility amongst their first owners:
Sir Sydney Lea Bt. (J0488).
The Hon. H N Dalrymple (J0577).
The Hon. Miss Vera Churchman (J0585).
The Hon Mrs John Heygate (J2014), addressed her letters to the works calling people by their Christian names.
The Marquis Townshead of Raynham (J2351), who was pictured at the time following the hunt in his car because his leg was broken.
The Marchioness of Duffrin and Ava (J2570), who always sent the car round to University Motors in the care of her chauffeur.
Sir Malcom Frazer Bt. (J2580), who addressed his letters directly to Lord Nuffield.
Sir James H Croft (J2787).
Lady J Rose (J2820).
Lady Fowke (J2846).
The Nawab of Pataudi (J3143) - the cricketer.
The Hon. A E G Herbert (J3172).
Lady Cotter (J3621).
Vicount Anson (J3736).
The Earl of Warwick (J4024).
The Rt. Hon. The Lord Merthyr (J4226).

Interestingly, MBH noted that whilst the overall survival of J Types is over 40%, for this selection, it is less than half that. Could they be "resting" in the stately homes of the UK?

My own J2s first owner lived at Brimsfield Park in Gloucestershire - a rather large 17th C country pile, I have yet to pluck up the courage to drop by to take a photo of car & house!

JH

Edited by - JMH on 15/04/2017 17:44:24
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2017 :  19:25:02  Show Profile
And let us not forget the first owner of the Airline Coupe PB0334, Prince Chula of Siam, cousin and guardian of Prince Bira, the well known race car driver. Originally, PB0334 was purchased in September of 1935 at University Motors and can be seen below. Happily, that car still exists in Texas, USA and recently re-restored.

[

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2017 :  19:38:28  Show Profile

MG K1 saloon ( K0432) became the property of Lady Caroline Paget, around the date of her 21st birthday. Lady Caroline was the first daughter of the 6th Earl of Anglesey. There is no apparent connection with the family of Hon. Dorothy Paget who lived in Kingston-on-Thames, and was associated with the Blower Bentley Boys.

Powerplus.

Edited by - powerplus on 15/04/2017 19:47:08
Go to Top of Page

panderson

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2017 :  23:28:49  Show Profile
PA1212 was purchased by "A. Clinch, Esq.," High Brooms, Tunbridge Wells, on June 3, 1935. Dealer was Pass & Joyce (London) and agent was University Motors. I am still tracing him, and presume at the time that Esquire could mean a number of things, but it indicated some means and responsibility in vocation? He was 25 and newly married. I suspect he was in the building trades, possibly roofing.

And Lew, the Prince Chula Airline seems to have smaller wheels and some fairly hefty tyres.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2017 :  00:49:46  Show Profile

Philip, 'esquire' in the UK is a title as optional as 'Mister' and available free to anyone who wants to use it. In modern usage it has no meaning but tends to be used in the absence of any qualifications.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Michaelc

Australia
39 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2017 :  12:36:45  Show Profile
My K1 pillarless saloon (K0434) was sold by Sanderson & Holmes, London Road, Derby on 30 June 1934 to a Mr G H Buxton of 'Hazelmere', Horwood Avenue, Derby. I am not sure of his 'station in life', but I do intend to research his history at some stage. On 12 September 1938, the car was sold to T C Bland Esq, Stanwick, Wellingborough. The car was sold to the third owner, Mr W Bold Esq of 11 Spring Hill, Whitwell, North Worksop, Notts on 25 March 1947. He owned the car until 27 August 1954 when he sold it to Peter Roland Henry Trench, 2 Warrender Way, Ruislip, Middlesex.I will try to get information on all of these owners.
Michael
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2017 :  12:54:34  Show Profile
Esq was also useful as a form of address in the days when these things mattered in society. Let's say Mister Clinch's first name was Arthur; as a child he would have been addressed on paper as 'Master Arthur Clinch' and upon becoming 'of age' he would become 'A Clinch, Esq' or 'Arthur Clinch, Esq' in order that there could be no possible confusion between him and his wife, who would have been addressed on paper as 'Mrs Arthur Clinch' - even if her name was actually Mavis. Very easy for a typist to miss off a letter or for poor handwriting to be misread as 'Mr'. She would only formally become 'Mrs Mavis Clinch' if she was widowed.

Debrett's does still suggest its use today: https://www.debretts.com/expertise/forms-of-address/letters-after-the-name/ Especially useful when people have titles like Doctor or Professor or military ranks preceding their initials - if Esq is omitted, they ought to be female!
Go to Top of Page

panderson

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2017 :  18:48:55  Show Profile
Thank you, Richard. Most enlightening. It appears, therefore, that many MG buyers in the 30s had Esq. appended to their name in the records. I was trying to get a sense of how it may have been used at the time; it apparently had no particular meaning or reference to social location.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2017 :  19:01:56  Show Profile
and if you are short of something to do, this will entertain for HOURS:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esquire

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

MG3526

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2017 :  19:46:32  Show Profile
My dad bought a P type MG in 1934. He was a student at UCL in his final year but had won a scholarship/bursary. His father had been a policeman in Shanghai Municipal Police - having come from farming stock in Eire. Not wealthy...but not poor! I would think that Esquire was fairly common after a name - and used instead of Mr.

KLN
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2017 :  21:37:36  Show Profile
My thanks to all who read and contributed to this discussion which I found of great interest as I hope others did as well.
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2017 :  10:44:53  Show Profile
I concede that I am very old and from an entirely different era, but I was originally taught that it was polite to use "Esq" in writing to a male person, and I still do it. Whatever you do, you should never use "Esq" at the end of the name, if you have used "Mr" at the beginning.

Colin B. (Esq)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000