Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Is P type Reg. No. 3526 still about?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MG3526

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2017 :  19:55:46  Show Profile
My Dad bought this 4 seater P type in 1934 with Reg. No. MG3526. In about 1964 he 'sold' it to my cousin - who eventually sold it on but I know nothing more about what happened to it.
I do have more stuff on it (early tax discs) and pictures. If the car is still going I would love to chat to the current owner.
Does anyone know where it is? Or any info about it?

KLN

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2017 :  20:14:42  Show Profile
Hello Kate

This car is indeed known to the Register! It is chassis number PA0814. Oddly our transcription of the factory records state that the car was originally a 2-seater, not a 4-seater, but your photograph suggests otherwise.

Built 25-4-1934, released for sale on 12 May and first registered 2 days later by Merigold Bros.Ltd of Preston, Lance, the car was first owned by a G.L. Brownson of Milnthorpe, Westmorland. It was originally blue with blue trim.

We know little of the car's subsequent life. The car is now believed to be in France with a M. Prieur, perhaps since 1986, but we have no contact details for him, alas.

The photograph in your posting is most charming and we would like to add it to our database records for the car. Do you know when or where it was taken? The only other document we have is a July 1936 Works receipt for minor adjustments to the engine, fitting a spare competition tyre, reconditioning a road wheel and fitting a new distributor cap. The whole lot came to £1/5/6 (!)

If you have any other records or pictures of the car, we would be very grateful to have copies to add to our files. We aim to keep records of all known surviving Triple-M cars - there are around 4,000 out of the original production of over 11,000 so we are kept rather busy!

My contact details are on the 'Contacts' page of this website.

Regards
Dick Morbey, Register Chairman and sub-registrar for the PA model

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2017 :  20:20:31  Show Profile
Now that is interesting!
There is a current P type with that registration number, but it is a two seater, and did not have the number originally!
Do you have any copies of original documentation showing the chassis number, please.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2017 :  20:34:46  Show Profile
As Mike Dalby has just pointed out, PA0814 originally had a different first registration number - JM1234 in fact, but it was changed to MG3526 at some point. Maybe someone else could not resist JM1234 and insisted on buying it?!

The Main Dealer University Motors bought up the MGxxxx series of Reg numbers and they were readily availble for new cars and probably for transfer to otherwise plated cars, too.

We will need to check the Factory records (held at Abingdon) to find our more - including how a 2-seater came to be a 4-seater car and/or whether your father's car was in fact a quite different one from what I suggested in my first reply!

Any pictures or other details taht you can supply may also help to unravel the mystery....

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2017 :  21:42:42  Show Profile
Kate it's possible, just possible, that the car may in fact be chassis number PA0841. Our records for 0814 contain the reference "T.A. Maguire if it's PA 0841"

It's not unknown for serial numbers to be transposed!

Mr T.A. Maguire of Edgware, Middlesex is recorded as the first owner of PA0841. That car was originally a 4-seater, black with green trim. When I look at the picture you sent perhaps the car is black? Anyway no doubt you'll remember that detail and also whether the surname Maguire has any relevance?

The car was built in April 1934 but not sold until September of that year. Unfortunately we have no record of its registration number.

If it turns out that this is your Dad's former car, sadly there is nor evidence that it survived - nor indeed any information after the references to the first named owner.....

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

MG3526

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2017 :  08:59:49  Show Profile
Hi Dick - yes indeed my dad was T A Maguire! The picture is of my mother - not sure when exactly or where. I do have the original bill of sale and 3 early tax discs. How sad that it is not around anymore. The French 2 seater was probably reregistered using the lovely MG number...
It sat for years in our garage and I would play in it - imagining driving it around. I have other pictures but I think this is the only one in colour - and yes, it was black with green interior. You can certainly add it to your records.
I shall ask my cousin if he recalls what he actually did with the car but from the sounds of it it has gone...

KLN
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2017 :  09:58:06  Show Profile
Dear Kate

Thank you for helping us to untangle the mystery! We'd certainly be grateful to receive copies of the original bill of sale and any documents and info you feel able to share with us. And who knows? The car may still be 'out there' somewhere....

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2017 :  10:35:48  Show Profile
PA0814 also had its Reg No changed from JM1234 to 6263 TU at some stage in its life. - Rich
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2017 :  10:39:33  Show Profile
Thanks Rich. Where did you find that out?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sargeant

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2017 :  19:34:22  Show Profile
JM1234 Currently a blue Alfa. J Morris, Crewe. 6263TU was a replacement number issued when JM1234 was first transferred.Now void.

Tim Sargeant
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000