Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 BRU Registration number for PB 0685
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2017 :  17:19:42  Show Profile
Guys

I am progressing with the build of PB 0685 as a hillclimb car. DVLA have allocated an age related plate of VXS 544 but I am aware this is not the original.

The car was built on 7 January 1936 (from factory records) and registered in Bournemouth by Knott Bros Ltd who sold it to a Miss M U Paul on 26 March 1036 (from MGCC records).

I have visited Dorset History Centre where the records show that Knott Brothers registrations for the first 3 months of 1936 totaled 12 vehicles (including 4 Terraplanes) of which 2 were MG's. (So i'm happy I have the correct set of records.)

The two MG's are BRU 284 registered on 18 February 1936 and BRU 678 registered on 24 March 1936. As ever there is nothing in the records to link a registration to a chassis number.

Does anybody out there have any information on the use of these registrations to perhaps eliminate one or the other. Or anything else that might help fill in the trail?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton

Peter Scully

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2017 :  11:20:38  Show Profile
Tim

Have you tried the Kithead Trust (www.kitheadtrust.org.uk)? They hold many of the paper licencing records for vehicles registered up to about 1948, although there are some gaps. For £10 per registration number they will search their records and may be able to determine which number, if any, matches to your chassis number. For a further £30 they will provide two certified copies of the records which should be sufficient for the DVLA to reissue the original number.

I have just used their services myself and await the DVLA response to my request for the correct registration number to be allocated to my car.

Good luck,

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  08:51:54  Show Profile
Guys

I have been advised off Forum that in the 1993 Triple-M Register list PB0685 was owned by George May. Is this gentlemen known to anybody or are there any known contact details. I have searched the computerised members list but cannot find his name, he may of course used a nickname.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2494 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  09:47:39  Show Profile
I think I'm right Tim that George lived in Spithurst near Lewes in Sussex. He's probably long gone, but it might be a starting point.

Good luck,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  10:25:48  Show Profile
Dear Tim and Forum:

DVLA database search revealed BRU 284 not known.
BRU 678 on a Ford and orange.
So, as long as you are happy with BRU 284 the option is clear.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  10:56:55  Show Profile
Dave is correct. George May lived in Barcombe or Spithurst near Lewes and I am fairly sure that he passed away some years ago. He was a good friend of one of our M.G. friends who lives in Burgess Hill, Brian Rhead and who is thankfully still around. I will contact Brian and report back in a few days time.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 11/05/2017 10:59:19
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  13:00:49  Show Profile
Colin

Thanks for that, I will await with interest.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  13:42:54  Show Profile
Peter, who did you contact to sign section five of the V765, the declaration from the Vehicle Owners Club, is there somebody in the Brighton area who could inspect my J2353, I have the Kithead Trust information necessary to validate. Thanks

CJD
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  14:45:29  Show Profile
John

You say "the option is clear", but I am not. I have nothing definitive to link the registration to the chassis number which is what I understand DVLA will need to agree to allocate the number. Or am I being naive?

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  20:01:56  Show Profile
No Tim, the option is not clear at all. In fact you do not have options per se, the DVLA do not just allocate a previously issued reg number unless the evidence is overwhelming, which in your case, is currently sadly lacking.

The BRU 678 reg number is actually on a 1936 Ford model 18 convertible, whether from 1st issue, i do not know, but all the Bournemouth C.B.C., which was then in Hampshire, BRU followed by numerals 1 - 999 plates were issued between Jan and April 1936.

True, BRU 284 does not appear on any searches i've done, which it should if taxed or on SORN. But it wo'nt if either voided or on retention.

Regards - Sean.
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  21:20:43  Show Profile
Hi,

Can I ask - if there was overwhelming evidence that BRU678 did actually belong to Tim's PB, would the DVLA then take it off the Ford and allocate it to the PB?

Regards
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

sas

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  22:07:33  Show Profile
In short Paul, not in a Million years, it simply will never happen, even if the evidence was overwhelming.

What is worth remembering is the registration number on any UK registered vehicle, irrespective of it's age or perceived value, is never, under any circumstances, owned by any individual or company. The DVLA have full claim to ALL numbers and the reg number and display of is fully controlled by them. A number can even be withdrawn in special circumstances, usually if fraud is proven, but that is very rare.
So, if you purchase a reg number, at any price, you NEVER own it, but you do have the right to use it, display it, transfer it and sell it, except for non transferable plates, most of which are age related issued by DVLA.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2017 :  11:23:56  Show Profile
Tim. I have been in touch with Brian Rhead who lives in Burgess Hill and knew George May well. Apparently George moved to Italy some years ago and whilst Brian thinks that her could have moved back to the U.K.(possibly to Essex,) he is no longer in touch and has no contact information. He thinks that your PB might have been just a rolling chassis and he has no recollection of the Reg Number BRU 284.
Sorry that this doesn't really get you any further forward,- unless you know anyone in Essex who might be able to do a search.

I see from past printed Registers that PB0685 was shown as being in George's ownership up to 2001, whilst all subsequent entries are in M J Lister's name.

Best wishes,

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 19/05/2017 11:26:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000