Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Steering wheel boss
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pots

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2017 :  14:43:48  Show Profile
Having exited the car quicker than originally planned, I have managed to break the centre boss on my steering wheel.

Does anyone have a centre boss (or damaged/old wheel including the boss) for a 16" Bluemells 4 spoke wheel that would fit a Bishop Cam (ie. key not taper) column ? The OD of the boss is 2.5".

I believe the wheel is the same as fitted to some L types......

Pots

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2017 :  15:57:57  Show Profile
Try Willie Mackenzie at Austin Seven Reproduction Parts - he makes these wheels

Go to Top of Page

Ian lawrence

New Zealand
105 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2017 :  06:01:48  Show Profile
Hi Pots.
I have sent you an email that I can possibly have my Son make one for you as he did for me ?
Please advise Cheers Ian PA 1327

Ian L
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2017 :  17:23:59  Show Profile
Ii had the same problem with the original steering wheel boss on my P type, I made a steel one while, I waited the 3 months to have one made.

Would you like to borrow it?

Regards
Keith

Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2017 :  17:59:50  Show Profile
There is a MMM steering wheel now listed buy it now on ebay. has the boss and all..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Steering-Wheel-Prewar-MG-needs-Restoration-/192187023200?hash=item2cbf3d3f60:g:prwAAOSwR29ZGKJZ

Kindly

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2017 :  19:08:38  Show Profile
That is, of course, the three spoke variation, rather than the more rare four spoke variety.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2017 :  22:33:49  Show Profile
Indeed, a three spoke wheel.

Still learning our cars. I have to admit I did not note that Duncan's wheel was four spoke. Well perhaps someone needs a three spoke wheel. I do like the four spoke better as the three spoke does seem quite flimsy on my car! I also note the "Barn Find " PA has a three spoke wheel, so I'm in good company.

Good Luck on the new four spoke boss.

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2017 :  09:20:19  Show Profile
As I said earlier I'm sure Willie Mackenzie can help - he does 4 spoke wheels with both sizes of parallel shaft (3/4" & 7/8")...
He'd probably rivet it on for you - he's a very helpful chap

Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2017 :  09:30:04  Show Profile
He hasn't got any at the moment(only 3 spoke ones),I spoke to him before Duncan put the ad on. The other reason for the ad was to hope to find a nice original one to match the patina on the rest of the wheel.
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2017 :  10:48:52  Show Profile
They're not too difficult to make if you have access to a lathe. I've just made a new aluminium one for my 18/80 which looks the same as your photo. I cut the keyway on the lathe too. Still needs some finishing and riveting but looks much better than the broken original which wasn't aluminium but just a brittle bit of monkey metal

The patina might be the problem for you though. My problem is how to restore the black covering on the spokes which has broken away in big places. The rim is good enough to keep and retain its patina

Edited by - KevinA on 18/05/2017 10:55:16
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2017 :  11:47:16  Show Profile
Kevin
Interested in how to repair a steering wheel coating as I suspect a number of cars need to have done including mine.
On the basis that the plastic is original and is celluloid, it can be repaired as I have just read. It needs to be welded and filled with powdered celluloid. Table tennis balls and traditional guitar picks are a source of celluloid. Maybe graphite for colouring?
... that I have worked with so far but here is what I have learned;
- To chemical weld celluloid there are 3 chemicals that can be used;
- acetone
- MEK (methyl ethyl ketone)
- THF (Tetrahydrofuran)
Wonder if anyone has tried this repair?
Donald
PB0759

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2017 :  15:11:10  Show Profile
To cover the spokes, I have also been known to use large shrink-wrap tubing.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2017 :  19:04:34  Show Profile
Hi Donald

Welding celluloid- I never considered that option but it sounds like a good plan. Where did you read about that?
Perhaps another source of the powder could be other less repairable wheels.

Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2017 :  19:55:46  Show Profile
Hi Kevin
Found on web search, under celluloid welding. The site link is as follows, from a group who make and fix old type pens. Old fountain pen bodies too were made from celluloid, hobbyists still make them. Some of these were brilliant multi-coloured works of art.
https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/163-Celluloid-crack-repair
One of the advantages of the old plastics used on our cars including bakelite I have found, unlike many new plastics, is that they can be repaired. Done well, the repair can be almost invisible.
Leading on from this, another thought, wouldn't it be great to have a new item for the Triple-M shop, the 'Cecil Kimber' MG fountain pen, made in reddish brown celluloid, gold embossed MG logo, and of course, using green ink. I'd buy one.
Donald
PB0759
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2017 :  19:57:48  Show Profile
Another option for spoke treatment would be to powder coat. Using one of the modern polyester coatings.
This material is plastic as opposed to the ceramic type. Very flexible and hard.

Best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2017 :  10:19:42  Show Profile
Well I think my plan A is to restore the original spokes by welding the celluloid. At least I'll still have the option of powder coat if I can't convince it all to work for me. I have a sacrificial wheel (of unknown make but right period) to provide the celluloid so I'll keep it well photographed and documented as to how I get on. In the meantime if anyone has any suggestions I'd be delighted to hear

Edited by - KevinA on 19/05/2017 10:20:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000