Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 C A Paul & Co cars
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2018 :  19:08:36  Show Profile
I must say that I am totally impressed by the knowledge and observational powers of members of this forum. For example, I would never have noticed the footwear of Mr. Paul in the last photo. However, I did notice the presence of the MG "High Speed Service Van" over his right shoulder, supporting Cathelijne's conclusion that it was taken at the MG works.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2018 :  19:38:36  Show Profile
Am I going mad or is the registration of the J1 MV 6694 in the first pic and MV 6699 in the third??? And is it really a J1??? The radiator seems a bit more 'sloped' in the third pic than it does in the first. And the doorline is D or F, not J1, right? Or did the early J1s have D bodies?

Oh, and David Downes, do you have any thoughts on the slipper perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

spatek

United Kingdom
211 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2018 :  20:02:18  Show Profile
I would say MV6694 looks like aJ1 or D but MV6699 is an F1
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2018 :  08:59:24  Show Profile
Thanks so much for that Cat. My thoughts are quite unprintable !
Father Christmas seems to have got lost with my 2019 FIA approved loafers. Gout proof ones cost more but worth it !

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 31/12/2018 09:00:51
Go to Top of Page

rossstephen

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2018 :  09:14:38  Show Profile
What a fantastic momento to have.

I have been looking for a piece of Cyril Paul memorabilia, ideally to link him to my house.

I just missed an interesting photo shown below.

A few years back his Atmos clock was sold by Bonhams. According to the vendor I spoke to, it was presented to him after a Le Mans race.

If anyone comes across Cyril Paul (the racing driver!) memorabilia, please let me know - thanks.

Stephen

S A Ross
Go to Top of Page

Hugh

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  20:27:02  Show Profile
At the entrance to the MG works behind CJ Paul with car 31 is a vertical steel joist with some writing within. It looks like DEAD 6’ 5W = . May be the RSJ is part of a gantry, or gate way to which these instructions apply. Is anyone able to explain, please?

Cat, thank you for the additional information on the three C A Paul pictures.

Hugh
J3091
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
460 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  20:40:29  Show Profile
Dead weight of the ramp into the garage maybe?

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  21:47:23  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  23:47:49  Show Profile
not a weight restriction, just a speed one

Dead Slow
Go to Top of Page

Hugh

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  10:07:21  Show Profile
Thank you, Cat.
Obvious now. Instructions for the High Speed Service Van parked near by, and others.

Hugh
J3091
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3051 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  13:14:37  Show Profile

Sam
Go to Top of Page

rossstephen

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2019 :  16:01:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Vitesse

quote:
Originally posted by rossstephen

Disappointingly, I cannot find evidence that this is the racing driver Cyril Paul's premises in these wonderful photos.
It would appear that they belong to Cyril ALBAN Paul who was a motor trader according to a bankruptcy notice in the London Gazette, 8 November 1938. Adverts also show CA Paul's other premises in London and Manchester.

The racing driver Cyril JOHN Paul, was brought up and lived in my house I discovered from another bankruptcy notice in the London Gazette, 19 February 1932.
I attach a photo of CJ Paul with his MG C type at his ‘garage and engineering works at Finchley for high-class tuning’ in 1932 before working for Brooklands Motor Co in Euston. His trade plates on the vehicle were 161 MO. You can see a MG service van in the background.

Does anyone know where exactly that was in Finchley, London?

S A Ross

The 1930 phone book has an entry for 'Cyril Paul & Cattermole' at Dollis Park, London N3. Phone number Finchley 4051. No building number, so possibly near the Regents Park Road junction? Most of the road called Dollis Park looks like 1930s suburban housing, but there's a modern development called Dollis Mews which might be the site. You might find more clues in an old Kelly's Directory. What appears to be Cyril's home address is in NW9.

I don't think there's any connection between the two. It appears that Cyril Alban Paul was actually born - and died - in St Albans.

Many thanks, with your assistance I believe I have located CJP's "garage and engineering works at Finchley for high-class tuning". Behind Dollis Mews there is an impressive entrance to a further yard which would have had garages/workshop. The circular hole in the brickwork above the entrance arch looks like it was for a clock. The doors carry ornate wrought iron hinge straps. I attach photos I took and an old map showing the "works" at the location. I will add this to my growing CJP booklet!

S A Ross
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2019 :  19:49:23  Show Profile
Lovely! Probably worth investigating further if you can get your hands on a trade directory of the time, which might just clinch it. I've also just checked the historical imagery on Google Earth. The good news is there's a 1945 air photo. The bad news is the building's obscured by a low cloud ...
Go to Top of Page

rossstephen

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2019 :  16:55:39  Show Profile
Good idea - aerial photo from a bit earlier - 1921 appears to show arched top of front elevation to works entrance at the end of the mews

S A Ross
Go to Top of Page

rossstephen

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2019 :  16:07:46  Show Profile
I have finished my booklet about Cyril Paul now. Thanks to all of your for your helpful comments and information. If anyone want a copy I'll email it to you

S A Ross
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000