Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M-Type listed for sale on Hemmings
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

racerdan

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2017 :  21:03:54  Show Profile
Here's a link to a car for sale that is purported to be a special bodied M-Type that was raced by The Earl of March. I find no information in the Register relative to this car. An accompanying picture shows a side-valve engine with what appears to be a "modern" alloy intake.

The Link... https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/mg/m/1965759.html?refer=blog

Dan

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2017 :  09:35:59  Show Profile
I don't think the seller is claiming it to be the ex-March car:
quote:
The image was taken during the JCC Members Day on July 5, 1930 in which No. 20 was entered and driven by C.E. Wood. The other MG No. 27 pictured is driven by the Earl of March.

Number 20 is MG442.

Seems a ridiculous price, particularly as it now has a side valve engine, supposedly race-prepared. Would anyone tuning an M-type substitute a side valve engine for an OHC one?

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2017 :  10:08:48  Show Profile
Ummmm..... nah!
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2017 :  11:06:36  Show Profile
The Registration number MG 442 is noted in the Register's data but there is no reference to a chassis number.

The car looks to have been messed about - look at all those holes in the top of the chassis rail etc etc. Also there are too many zeros in the asking price!

One for our M expert Mike Dalby.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

racerdan

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2017 :  16:56:54  Show Profile
Thank you, Colin. I stand corrected . Dazed by the numbers, I suppose. Also note that the windscreen on the archive photo is a proper M-Type split screen and the one on the advertised car is flat. (supporting the re-body claim) The reference to hydraulic brakes fitted in 1931 when the re-body and side-valve "race prepped" engine fitted raises questions. Can anyone identify the engine? Except for the water inlet placement, looks somewhat like a late 40s Morris Minor. How 'bout those hydraulic brakes? (31? hmmmm)

Dan Lanier
J2 3333
J2 3488
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
698 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2017 :  10:00:14  Show Profile
Dan,
The engine looks as though it is a Morris 8 Series 2 from the photos I have been able to find on Google Images. If so it would have been difficult to have fitted it in 1931!
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2017 :  12:38:57  Show Profile
From what I have read, the side valve Morris engine version was released in 1931 for the SV minor up until that the minor had a SOHC driven by a vertically mounted dynamo! The front and rear wheels are different so presumably the rear axle is from a different Morris car. Well worth the $1250.00 asking price
Nick
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
698 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2017 :  19:06:18  Show Profile
Nick,
The original SV Minor engine you refer to had the distributor in the same place as our Triple M engines. The picture of the the engine in this car has the distributor mounted on top of the head on the other side of the engine. That is what made me believe it is Morris 8 and therefore couldn't have been fitted in 1931 as it hadn't been made by then. You are right to say that the Minor originally had the dynamo mounted vertically at the front driving the overhead camshaft. It was, as I understand it, this Minor engine that spawned the whole generation of Triple M engines.
Keith

Edited by - Keith Durston on 19/07/2017 19:08:54
Go to Top of Page

wallism

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2017 :  19:26:34  Show Profile
I've just removed an early Morris side valve engine from my M Type and put the correct one back in. This engine looks nothing like the one now sitting on my garage floor. (manifold, dizzy, water outlet, even the number of head studs). I wonder what that's worth now if I "race prepped" it

Mark Wallis 1930 M-Type DV5170
Go to Top of Page

NeilS

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2017 :  08:38:20  Show Profile
Looks like Morris eight series 1 to me so no earlier than 1934.

Neil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000