Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Drop arms
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2017 :  18:23:57  Show Profile
There was a post recently on which I would like to comment but can't find it. It contained a picture of a drop arm. Can someone please help.

Maurice.

Nick Feakes

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2017 :  19:25:14  Show Profile
Maurice
I searched on "Drop arm" and it returned several posts. Try the search function (remember to select "archived") and see if you can fin the post.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2017 :  20:14:52  Show Profile
The comment I want to make is regarding the flash marks from the forging process. The picture clearly showed the lateral grooves where the forging flash was cut off. These are stress raisers and need to be ground off leaving only longitudinal marks particularly where the tapered arm meets the clamped end. My concern stems from having a drop arm break with what was a classic fatigue fracture at that point, luckily at only walking pace just a few minutes after having been travelling considerably faster. So my recommendation to anyone who has a drop arm like this is get grinding and then crack test it.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2017 :  07:49:58  Show Profile
My (industrial metallurgist trained) expectation is that the original drop arms would have been hot forged, but it would be surprising if any flash along the length of the forging had not been removed as a subsequent stage. This would suggest that the offending arms were replacements and not adequately finished. It would be interesting to see a close up image of the fracture face, if you can post it.

In passing the arms on J3 3772 have been surface ground and polished at some time in the past. Is this a common finding?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000