Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Luggage Rack on a J2
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2017 :  16:26:16  Show Profile
I can't seem to locate the original posting where I disagreed saying it indeed is possible to fit a luggage rack on a J2. So I am starting this as a new thread.
In 1985, I was being transferred from our London office to that in Copenhagen. The J2, having been bought as a collection of rusty parts in 1983, had just been completed. So since my company would not pay to transport a car, we had no choice other than driving it (across northern Europe in late October - read "COLD!!").
Since we had about a 3 week time span before our personal belongings would arrive by moving van, some luggage needed to be carried with us. So a luggage rack was acquired from the late Barry Bone and quickly fitted to the J2.
Happily, the J2 performed flawlessly, but the driver and passenger not so. I will say, the steering was more than a little vague.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

Edited by - LewPalmer on 26/07/2017 16:27:58

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2017 :  16:52:03  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5984 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2017 :  18:37:13  Show Profile
Brave stuff, Lew. The rearward visibility wouldn't have been great!

My solution was to give up on the luggage rack and use a waterproof bag strapped to the spare wheel. One needs to be careful not to overload it, but with another bag that neatly fills the space behind the seat, the amount of stuff we can carry is not at all bad. The waterproof bag proved its worth on the drive from Liverpool to Prescott last week, most of which was in torrential rain. Not a drop of water leaked into the bag. (And the suction wipers worked just fine )

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Greensa

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2017 :  09:05:52  Show Profile
This is the luggage rack fitted to my J2. It was screwed to the top of the rear tub and clamped round the rear cross member. Hinged at the rear to allow access to the petrol tank..not sure if this is 'original' or a bespoke fitting?

SteveG
J2760
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
447 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2017 :  15:22:39  Show Profile
I bought a luggage rack for my J2 from "Sportscar Metalwork" which was said to be for the "P" types. Actually it fitted easily to all the existing points and even the vertical supports where they bend round to meet the chassis coincided with existing holes! With this same car in 1934 my father drove down to southern Germany with a luggage rack (not this one)well laden for the trip.It certainly does restrict rearward vision though! Simon C.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000