Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Headlamp spiders
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2017 :  00:48:13  Show Profile
Was referred to the existence of these MG headlamp long range spider bars by a forum member, and that there is a rarer version for 8" headlamp lenses. Shown on a current near complete PA restoration and lower on my PB, the spiders made by the PA owner from donor Lucas arms, plus remade centres, reflectors, and badges. Liked them and got a set for my PB. The look after 50 years is a bit like seeing some-one you know well wearing fashion sunglasses for the first time!
The headlamp lenses already have the slots for these bars. The longer size I know were used on S-V-Ws.
Interested in knowledge on use of these spiders on Triple-Ms, if they were ever fitted by the factory, or offered as an option. Otherwise may have been retro-fitted to some cars?.

Donald McLeod
PB0759

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2017 :  10:17:10  Show Profile
An interesting "aside" to this thread. Bryan Ditchman sent me a couple of pictures recently of the then brand new 1935 Musketeers "Athos" and "Porthos" being shaken down at a Singer Club hill-climb at Rushmere on the 24th August 1935 and both cars had the M.G. badged spider bars, but only on the nearside headlights and not on both. What was that all about? Possibly the Works could only find two of the spider bars in the Parts bin ! And what about "Aramis" ?
Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2017 :  10:21:36  Show Profile
Colin: Something to do with solenoid dipping? Or was that a later modification?

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2017 :  10:56:28  Show Profile
Interesting. The long range spiders I understand when focused correctly, do project a longer straighter beam, so on the nearside should give a longer view of the side of the road. This would be handy for night-time rallies and trials, rather than the 'blinding' effect of spot-lights.
Donald
PB0759
Go to Top of Page

KJ1592

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2017 :  16:25:50  Show Profile
I believe these bars were only ever fitted to SVW models as standard and were never standard equipment on any MMM models. The VA had 8" headlamps and used the smaller length bar and the SA/WA models used 9" lamps with the longer bars.

That said I think they look really nice on MMM models when fitted.

Regards,
Ian.
Go to Top of Page

correlejco

United Kingdom
251 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2017 :  21:42:02  Show Profile
Hi Donald, Ian and others.

I also like the style of these headlamps, which are Lucas Bi-flex 'long range' lights. I'm interested to learn that SVWs were fitted with lights with MG octagons in the centre.

On my NA, which has 9" headlamps, I have the 'standard' Lucas item which does give good long-range lighting, especially with 45/40W tungsten bulbs. And they do look more 'vintage' than the standard ones.

Donald - are your lenses upside down, or are mine? Is the fluting at top or bottom? I have tried both ways and there's no noticeable difference! Perhaps it's a north/south hemisphere issue?

John - 1934 NA0492
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2017 :  22:30:11  Show Profile
Thanks, John
Good to hear they actually do work well, yet to trial mine.
The P Types use the U-flute lens, with the fluting in the middle which goes around the spider boss when fitted it turns out. Same lens as used on the Morris 10 of the same period.
Lenses work fine either way around, if upside down would become an n flute lens I suppose!
Donald
PB0759
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2017 :  06:02:44  Show Profile
Rovers used these as well. The correct oriantation for the flutes is as a ' U ' . All prewar models used the solenoid ' tip and switch ' system, the offside lamp would extinquish and the tipping reflector nearside lamp would tip the beam into the gutter. Later 30s models ( from '39 )had a seperate system called a ' pass lamp ' , both main lamps extinguished when dipped and the pass lamp illuminated. Totally illegal now of course.

CJD
Go to Top of Page

bigtony12461

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2017 :  17:53:42  Show Profile
Excuse my terrible picture, but some spiders have crawled into NA 0795 too.

Tony
NA0795
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000