Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Morris Minor manufacturing film - 1929
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2017 :  22:30:10  Show Profile
Not sure if the existence of this film online is generally known.

21 minutes showing everything from casting the OHC cylinder blocks to vehicle dispatch from Cowley. Silent, but with subtitles, although everything is self-explanatory.

Very good footage of the engine manufacture, assembly and chassis stamping, riveting, etc.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-morris-minor-manufacture-1929-online

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2017 :  00:41:41  Show Profile
Unfortunately, they will not allow playing of the video outside the UK.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2017 :  01:24:19  Show Profile
That's right Lew. I am in Seattle, as I think you know, but I downloaded a program called My Expat Network which enables me to watch it. In fact I can watch all the British TV channels with it too!

https://www.my-expat-network.com/

It is not free - about $72 a year, but it works faultlessly and can be installed in mere moments.

Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2017 :  11:21:49  Show Profile
OMG what a hoot! That factory is a Health and Safety nightmare.

quote:
The famous chassis erecting line at Cowley - the finest in Europe.

Two blokes, two rails, a spanner and a cigarette!

And, let's paint the chassis after we've fitted everything except the body!

Very entertaining.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3051 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2017 :  12:37:18  Show Profile
Talk about Dark Satanic Mills.

It is dreadful to think of the squalid and dangerous conditions these men worked in and how their health must have been destroyed. They are dressed in rags and work frenetically but not very efficiently. I find the film both fascinating and upsetting. 'A hoot' - Colin are you sure?.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2017 :  14:35:56  Show Profile
As a sixteen year old, in about 1958, I lived in Enfield and I went to a Technical School. We were taken on visits to various engineering companies one of which was the Ford factory at Dagenham. It didn't look much different to that film, we came home filthy dirty. But when I visited Rolls Royce at Goodwood recently, I know its only an assembly plant, but you could have eaten your dinner off the floor. Also what that film doesn't show is the noise, really deafening whereas RR was so quite that if a technician (I think that was what they were called) dropped a spanner you could here the tinkle as it landed on the floor.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 22/09/2017 14:37:41
Go to Top of Page

Eric Taylor

France
156 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2017 :  15:31:51  Show Profile
Here’s a film we foreigners can watch.
Not about M.G.s but still fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRsYIiUxZeQ

Eric Taylor
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
345 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2017 :  16:53:13  Show Profile
Fascinating viewing, what strikes me is the grim and all the guys look so old, I wonder what the average age of the work force was?

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
503 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2017 :  09:51:09  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

I also remember the Ford factory at Dagenham and in particularly the block moulding dept, I think they were moulding e93 blocks and it was exactly the same as the Morris set up except that the section was circular so each man had his own cubicle.

As I lived in Stratford as a boy most youngsters were destined to work at the Railway Yards at Temple Mills now part of the Olympic site or Ford,Briggs Motor Bodies and the Docks.

After seeing the Morris film and remembering the conditions I saw, I am wondering how I managed to avoid those "Dark Satanic Mills".

"I have just remembered" National Service for 2 years!!

Thank you Ian for posting such an interesting film and reminding us of how lucky most of us are are these days.

Russ
MG TD/PB

Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2017 :  10:16:23  Show Profile
Ah, Eric, that takes me back. I "spotted" Princess Arthur of Connaught as a teenager in Glasgow Central Station. One of the great Stanier Pacifics

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2017 :  10:38:24  Show Profile
What was the production rate? -Rich
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2017 :  10:56:09  Show Profile
This series of films not only shows the working conditions, both in terms of protection for the workers and the lack of handling equipment (and gloves for heaven sakes), but also the various 'classes' of workers.

A look at the work clothes, from tatty, tieless labourers to the trilby hatted, tie and suit wearing foreman, through the craftsmen in jackets and ties, says a great deal about knowing ones place.

I worked in both foundries and car body shops in the late 50's and 60's, where things had changed, but not much. Physical protection was not much better, but lifting devices were more prevalent.

Health and Safety legislation has worked wonders; the niggles are nothing by comparison with the improvements.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2017 :  16:37:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by davies

What was the production rate? -Rich

Richard,

From the original production records, it looks like the initial production rate in late 1928 was about 20 cars a day - a mix of fabric saloons and tourers. The film concentrates on fabric saloon body construction because the tourer bodies were built by Morris in Coventry and arrived at Cowley by lorry. Some of the shots in the film show tourers, as well as the parallel production line making larger Morris vehicles.

The overall production rate for 34,599 OHC Minors from October 1928 to June 1931 works out at around 32.5 cars a day if one allows for the three week summer breaks which were used to transition to the new seasons' models. Production included tourers, fabric saloons, steel saloons, Semi-sports 2-seaters, vans and chassis bound for either UK coachbuilders of export for local bodying in the Colonies, chiefly Australia.

Incidentally, I thought I'd try to obtain a copy of the film. The website BFIPlayer is that of the British Film Institute's national film archive. Their website explains, "We regret that we’re unable to respond to requests for bespoke DVD copies and copyright restrictions prevent us from selling copies." I'll try anyway as I'm not sure that Morris Motors still hold the copyright after 88 years.

Edited by - Ian Grace on 23/09/2017 16:46:32
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2017 :  17:18:04  Show Profile
Some production stills;

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: