Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Code breakers wanted!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  14:40:39  Show Profile
Anyone able to decypher what it says on the back? I can get as far as 'A. Rogers' and '20.9.47' obviously, but what is that other word???

Many thanks!
Cath

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  16:03:53  Show Profile
Cath and Forum:

Don't know about code breaking; but a puzzle/quiz.

A.Rogers driver no leads. tried mmm search and Google.
RC 1895 DVLA no help.
Guy Griffths was a well known car photographer and has a web site.
The website is basic and wants to use Firefox-Why?-Ugh .
As for venue no clue or spelling.
Possibly a email to Guy Griffths web site.?
Maybe racing crowd can push this one along.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  16:09:06  Show Profile
Hi Cat

The word looks like Neston to me or could it be Western - short for Weston-Super-Mare where I seem to recall there was a sprint course?

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  16:19:36  Show Profile
Cat, George and Forum:

George is correct racing did take place at Weston, Weston Super Mare.
Beach from 1913 and Speed trials on parade.1948 to 1992
Dates are correct ish.
Local knowledge would help.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  16:42:30  Show Profile
Doesn't look like its on a beach.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  16:44:30  Show Profile
I think Southsea M.C autumn speed trials, Merston, Sussex. Other MGs competing were G . Coles in J2749 , K . Couper in J4004 and Harry Lester in an L type. Coles winning 850cc unsupercharged sports and 3rd in up to 1100cc unsupercharged sports.

Edited by - O.Thomas on 02/10/2017 16:51:50
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  18:53:01  Show Profile
NA0309.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
345 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  19:06:06  Show Profile
Looked like Neston to me, Easton Neston being the seat of Lord Hesketh but I can't find any reference to motor racing in '47.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  19:36:28  Show Profile
And yes Ollie is right with the date for Southsea M C Speed Trials - they were held on 20/09/47. Either that's an M & an R in there, or the guy had hic-ups?

JH
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  20:03:14  Show Profile
The car is NA0309 - it does not appear to have survived.

The picture has been posted before when I posted it on the file for the car. I will now add the date/location.

George
Registrar F/L/N types
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  16:32:10  Show Profile
Thanks, Oliver, trust you to come up with the correct answer. Karl Wiessmann has since shown me a picture of the actual entry list confirming things further, if that were ever needed.

George, I think you may be a tad confused re. having posted the picture on the forum before; I recently bought the original and uploaded it onto the database yesterday. There were no other photographs of the car in the database when I first checked.

Back in 2012 I was looking for more info on A.P.O. Rogers, one time owner of C0265, whom I found in period entry lists as either A., A.P.O. or B. Rogers. Jay Hall told me the following:

Albert P.O. Rogers was known as 'Bert', the usual UK diminutive of Albert (also Herbert or 'Al' in the USA). See Doug Nye's Cooper history; "Bert raced M.G.s from 1930 ..."
Rogers raced Cooper-Bristol & Tojeiro-Bristol in the 1950s and was killed racing at Goodwood in 1956.
He ended up owning the SUN-PAT peanutbutter spread firm and got ticked off by Boddy in Motor Sport for painting Sun-Pat Special on his car in the '50s.

I am taking the liberty of assuming the bloke driving NA0309 is the same as the own who owned C0265.

Cheers
Cat

Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  15:29:15  Show Profile
As Ollie says, the venue is definitely Merston. This was a wartime auxiliary airfield situated just a few miles south of Chichester and like Westhampnett (later becoming Goodwood motor circuit) was a satellite unit attached to Tangmere. Throughout the war years these fighter stations were incredibly busy, and were home to many different fighter squadrons, including in the case of Merston the 307th fighter squadron of the 31st American Group of the 8th Air Force, and then later by the 402 (Winnipeg Bear) and 416 (City of Oshawa) squadrons of the Canadian Digby Group. By May 1945 they had all moved on and the airfield changed from intense activity back to grazing land for local farmers. There was very little in the way of permanent concrete structures or runways, and it is now difficult to believe that anything remotely exciting took place there. In September 1947 the Southsea Motor Club held a sprint meeting there over a half mile section of the perimeter road, and whilst the event was very well supported it was not repeated in subsequent years.

Colin b.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000