Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Rotax AT 174 dynamo
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2017 :  09:57:45  Show Profile
In my endeavours to put my car back to its original specification I am looking for a Rotax AT 174 dynamo in any condition, working or not.
If anybody out there has one lying in their workshop I would be delighted to hear from them.
Many thanks
Malcolm

bloodysalmon

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2017 :  10:52:38  Show Profile
you'll be lucky Malcolm, but you may try Chris Wallis ...

Chris Blood D0407 & F0753
Go to Top of Page

KJ1592

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2017 :  16:34:53  Show Profile
Barry Walker had one on his stall at Beaulieu. Not sure if he sold it.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2017 :  12:18:17  Show Profile
I expect you already know Malcolm, that whilst AT174s were fitted to K3s (and other K Types) and Ns and therefore quite reasonably could be assumed to be stronger than the Lucas DDS14, in fact the AT174 has a major disadvantage. The top one third of the casing incorporating the brush gear and top bearing was made of aluminium and therefore had a tendency after long usage to develop cracks. A few years ago a batch of bronze replacements for this part of the casing were available and I was lucky enough to get one from S&V. It would be wise to try and get hold of one of these parts if they are still available.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2017 :  14:43:59  Show Profile
Hello Colin.
Interesting to read that the uppermost section of the AT174 dynamo was made of aluminium because I well remember my first N type way back in 1963 definitely had a bronze section, I am now wondering what the likely explanation would be for that. Any ideas?

Regards,
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2017 :  19:50:27  Show Profile
Thanks for all your comments. I shall follow up on the leads for a Rotax AT 174.
A letter from MG Car Company to the owner of my car in 1947 states "the correct dynamo for the "NA" was the AP174 and the DDS 14 was normally fitted to the 'PA' Type"
The car was is currently fitted with the DDS 14 (presumably the cause of the enquiry to the MG Car Co in 1947) hence my search for an AP 174. I was aware of the aluminium top Colin and your suggestion re the bronze top is well received provided I can source the dynamo itself.
I would be prepared to trade in my current working dynamo which has been adjusted to operate on two brushes.

Thanks again for your responses
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

Jamie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2017 :  20:07:49  Show Profile
My understanding is that the AT 174 brush housings were originally aluminium and found to be too fragile so later ones were bronze. I have an aluminium one in three pieces which indicates that to be the case. I also have two different bronze replacements, one sourced from S&V, the other from Ron Grant. Both look to be much beefier than the original but are clearly different castings. I can post pictures if needed.

Jamie
Go to Top of Page

kjrj

United Kingdom
136 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2017 :  16:35:59  Show Profile
No doubt this Triple-M novice is teaching seasoned experts how to suck eggs, but just to note that the AT174 has a thicker shaft than the DDS14 and therefore needs a different bottom gear.

Regards,

Kevin

Kevin Jones
Letchworth, Herts
NA0950
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2017 :  20:35:58  Show Profile
Thanks for your comments Jamie and Kevin. I always knew I was searching for "hens teeth" and if I found one it was going to cost. It was worth a try.
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2017 :  09:57:54  Show Profile
There are probably quite a lot laying about - all with broken aluminium housings ! Keep trying Malcolm. The larger gears were available through S & V a while back. If there is sufficient interest I wonder whether a new batch of bronze ones might be in order. The trick is likely to be the whereabouts of the mould or moulds from which the most recent batch were made. Mike Allison had these made but he passed the moulds on to someone else, who hasn't yet admitted to having them !

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 18/10/2017 10:03:18
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2017 :  10:24:30  Show Profile
I have the patterns Colin and they have been passed on to Mike D , who is hopefully on the case!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2017 :  16:06:59  Show Profile
Thanks to both of you for your helpful comments.
In order to start the process I do need an AT 174 in need of recovery.
Is there one out there lying neglected at the back of a garage?
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2017 :  11:18:14  Show Profile
Ah so - Ollie. Excellent news.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2138 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2017 :  21:36:43  Show Profile
I have a Rotax AT174 on the shelf which I have recently had professionally rebuilt and is complete with gear. I took this unit off a car I was selling 15 years ago as it was incorrect for the engine.

I know these are fetching 4 figures now and I have turned healthy offers down in the past. Now may be the time to invest funds elsewhere possibly so if any needy enthusiast wishes to make me an offer I cannot refuse on this unit then they can email me privately if they wish

Richard

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 20/10/2017 21:37:58
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2017 :  06:38:21  Show Profile
Rich, I have sent you an email
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2017 :  11:00:34  Show Profile
I am still looking for an AT174.
Is there someone out there that might have one in the back of their garage.
Could be a fundraiser for them just in time for Christmas!
Here’s hoping and thanks for looking.
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000