Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J4213 returning home to New Zealand
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

NZ_monty

New Zealand
61 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2017 :  07:46:06  Show Profile
Hi,

Just under two years ago after about 20 years of searching I finally tracked down the J2 my Mother owned back in 1966, and though an amazing turn of luck I have just been able to buy it back! Believe it or not it left NZ in 1985 and ended up on San Juan Island off the coast of the USA, and I’ve literally just landed back home after a fantastic adventure over to the island to get her ready to travel.

I’m still rather jet lagged and it's all a bit surreal but I now have a long and nervous wait while she makes her way back, via LA and then a ship to NZ. Just thrilled to finally own a J2 and my mother’s at that!

Amazingly the car has travelled less than 20 miles since leaving NZ and will need some work to get her up and running and road legal here, but overall it’s in amazing condition.

I’ve been asked to write the fully story down and but wanted to share my little victory. I’ll send all the relevant details to the registrar in due course, sleep is high on the agenda now!

Fingers and toes crossed she arrives safe and sound.

Cheers,
Daniel

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2017 :  08:10:14  Show Profile
Welcome home! I heard the story a couple of days ago from M & K when they visited. Good luck with the restoration.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
395 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2017 :  08:44:25  Show Profile
Well done.

Great to see another Pre War MG going to NZ.

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2017 :  09:34:12  Show Profile
Awesome story Daniel! My Father used to own my TF and my Mothers TA is still around.

Dare I ask; what is under the blue cover?

Cheers,
Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2017 :  09:56:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Magilton

Dare I ask; what is under the blue cover?

Cheers,
Matthew.

just what I was going to ask.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2017 :  10:24:40  Show Profile
A TA or TB Tickford at a guess?
Go to Top of Page

NZ_monty

New Zealand
61 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2017 :  17:37:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KevinA

Welcome home! I heard the story a couple of days ago from M & K when they visited. Good luck with the restoration.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, yes looking forward to catching up with Mick when I
can and he's back up this way.
Go to Top of Page

NZ_monty

New Zealand
61 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2017 :  17:40:37  Show Profile
The car under the cover is a stunning TC - not run for some time, but we managed to coax it back in to life for the owner while we were there.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Croft

New Zealand
52 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  09:22:41  Show Profile
Well done Daniel,

I have been watching with interest.

I too am very pleased to see another OHC car return to NZ as we have certainly been raided over the years.

I hope that you are on the road soon and will attend the next Pre56 MG Rally which is in Central Otago early 2019.

Peter and J 3096
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  23:10:39  Show Profile
Hi Peter

Who knows, maybe my 18/80 will be on the road by then too.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

NZ_monty

New Zealand
61 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2018 :  19:10:38  Show Profile
Well, after 31 years away from New Zealand and 50 years since it was last in family ownership and a painful 3 month wait, J4213 is now safely tucking up in it's new home! Rather an excting day, and my son was quick to try it out for size.

Lots to do, and saldy I'm on a promise to sort the ZB first (haha yeah right) hopefully she'll be running again soon.

Do need to order a counterbalanced crank tho...

Edited by - NZ_monty on 27/01/2018 19:20:39
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2018 :  22:32:25  Show Profile
Excellent. Looks like 2 (3 including the photographer) very happy people.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2018 :  22:46:40  Show Profile
Hello Monty,

Living Near to San Juan island and the chain known as the San Juan's I gives hope that Triple M cars are here in the area to be found.
These islands nearly caused a war between US and Brittan before Canada was on it's own. A Pig Died I believe and so was known as the "Pig War". The Queen sent her troops and did the US president. Fortunately cooler heads prevailed in the end. The two encampments still exist and are set aside. The beautiful English Camp. and the stark American Camp both occupied by troops long ago...

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3226 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2018 :  12:29:02  Show Profile
The car looks very original and good enough to use as is?

It has obviously joined a very MG orientated family with that Z type, what looks like an MGB GT under a cover and a B roadster outside.

George
L2023

Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2018 :  14:41:13  Show Profile
Well I'll be damned. I live just across the water from San Juan island, a true paradise that we visit often either by driving or by floatplane. I never knew there was a J2 there!

Whereabouts on the island was it?

Congratulations - a lovely story!
Go to Top of Page

NZ_monty

New Zealand
61 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2018 :  18:13:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sullivan

Hello Monty,

Living Near to San Juan island and the chain known as the San Juan's I gives hope that Triple M cars are here in the area to be found.
These islands nearly caused a war between US and Brittan before Canada was on it's own. A Pig Died I believe and so was known as the "Pig War". The Queen sent her troops and did the US president. Fortunately cooler heads prevailed in the end. The two encampments still exist and are set aside. The beautiful English Camp. and the stark American Camp both occupied by troops long ago...

Brian W Sullivan

Thanks Brian, yes we did manage a days tour of the Island and saw the camp areas. I did wonder if there had been fighting there but that's really interesting.

quote:
Originally posted by George Eagle
The car looks very original and good enough to use as is?

It has obviously joined a very MG orientated family with that Z type, what looks like an MGB GT under a cover and a B roadster outside.

George
L2023

Hi George, Yes I was surprised and happy with how good the car is, the chrome has suffered a bit in places but a good portion is cleaning up nicely. The rest of the body is really good. The engine hasn't run for 30 odd years, still has the wire crank, and some work have been done on the head. So I think the sensible move will be a strip, inspect and rebuild with a new crank to be safe.

Haha, yes my MG collection has become, well, a little carried away! You are correct my first MG a BGT is lurking under the cover.

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Grace
Well I'll be damned. I live just across the water from San Juan island, a true paradise that we visit often either by driving or by floatplane. I never knew there was a J2 there!

Whereabouts on the island was it?

Congratulations - a lovely story!

Thanks Ian, you're not wrong, it's a wonderful place and I hope to return with my family soon. I wanted to get a float plane ride in (I fly a DH Chipmunk here in NZ) but sadly time was against me. If it wasn't for this little car I would never have known the island ever existed.

It was in Mitchell Bay, a neat spot and we were kindly treated to boat trip up to Roche Harbor harbor, so great to get out of the water too.

Edited by - NZ_monty on 30/01/2018 18:19:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000