Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Peter Gregory - K3 Reps
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Onno

Netherlands
1020 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  12:15:21  Show Profile
Isn’t making money by building a look a like and buying one because it is cheaper than an original 2 sides of the same coin?

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
751 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  12:20:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Johnston

Ashley,

You say that your Riley Brooklabds Replica is accepted by the Riley Register. Is that ‘accepted’ as a Brooklands, or as a Brooklands Relica, or as a Monaco ‘special’, if I might use Triple-M terminology where the ‘R’ word is not allowed (other than for factory 12/12 Replicas).

Simon J
J3437

I'm not 100% sure but I think Riley built a number of Brooklands Replicas as M.G. built 12/12 replicas.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 03/11/2017 12:20:56
Go to Top of Page

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  12:55:15  Show Profile
Hello Simon,

I have just purchased the Riley and looking at my profile under the new members section of The Riley Register the car is detailed as a 1933 special (Brooklands style) so not a replica and I am not sure without speaking with other members, comitee what their take is.
Three members of the Riley Register paid a visit to the previous owner and examined the car for three hours, for what purpose I am yet to enquire but all the components were found to be correct and period Brooklands, most of which had been supplied by the Farquat family over the duration of putting the car together.
My understanding that any Brooklands (specials, relipcas, copies) however you wish to call them which are currently being built or recent are not accepted by the Riley Register.
All intersting stuff and will pen another script when I have found out the criteria.

Best wishes

Ashley

F0707 J2042 J2625
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5945 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  13:26:57  Show Profile
Many thanks, Ashley. I met Nev Farquhar at a Phoenix Park race meeting in the 1970s and it was from him I got the splendid Speedometer Supply Co. rev counter that graces my J2's dash. So these Riley chaps aren't all bad.

Mind you I'm not sure I'd welcome a three hour inspection of my car, whatever it was!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  14:17:25  Show Profile
Hello Simon.

Neville took me out for a spin in his (genuine) Brooklands Riley one day, (He lived not far from me.) and he managed to frighten me to death obviously trying to impress but perhaps he thought he was on the race track!

Brilliant engineer too.

Chris.

Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
446 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  14:58:13  Show Profile
All this talk of Brooklands Rileys reminds me of the 1928 Brooklands I bought in 1958 as an 18 year old National Serviceman for £75.And it had had a Brooklands history. £200,000 now? Wow. Simon C.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5945 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  16:05:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Westbury

Hello Simon.

Neville took me out for a spin in his (genuine) Brooklands Riley one day, (He lived not far from me.) and he managed to frighten me to death obviously trying to impress but perhaps he thought he was on the race track!

Brilliant engineer too.

Chris,

When I spotted the rather unusual rev counter in Nev's Brooklands I said it was exactly the type that had been fitted to my J2 to which he replied he had a spare one on the shelf at home which he was willing to sell. But he said that as it was in excellent condition he'd have to ask £25! And it was in excellent condition and needed no more than a service before taking up duty nearly forty years later in my J2.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  16:36:48  Show Profile
Here is something else for discussion.

I know that Pursang in Argentina are considering building completely new cars in the style of a K3 M.G. to complement their range of Bugatti and Alfa Romeo replicas, should these cars be regarded as Triple-M cars and should they be accepted by the Triple-M Register if they do get built?

Peter
Go to Top of Page

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  16:49:31  Show Profile
Simon,

Do you have a photo of the rev counter out of interest?

Ashley
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  17:11:32  Show Profile
Peter - after all the upset the pur sang Bugattis have caused with the DVLA and their knock on effects for the rest of the vintage car world, I for one would be surprised if the Triple M Register acknowledged them in any way.

Just my two penne'th....

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  17:34:23  Show Profile
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5945 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  17:41:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ashley

Simon,

Do you have a photo of the rev counter out of interest?

Ashley,

As this thread is moving in a very interesting direction I'll post my rev counter photo in a new thread as it's only a distraction here..

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  18:21:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Green

Here is something else for discussion.

I know that Pursang in Argentina are considering building completely new cars in the style of a K3 M.G. to complement their range of Bugatti and Alfa Romeo replicas, should these cars be regarded as Triple-M cars and should they be accepted by the Triple-M Register if they do get built?

Peter

oi !! Riley thread hijackers....LOL......that's interesting did you know that Pursang have to build every single item down to the last screw...yep....that's right absolutely everything down to the last detail....it something to do with Argentinian law....true
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5945 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  20:05:46  Show Profile
Regarding Peter Green's questions, surely the answer has to be 'no' and 'no'? Regardless of their accuracy, Pursang or Gregory cars built on new frames that are allocated a VIN by DVLA are not Triple-M cars and should not be on the Register. There is, of course a grey area where, for example, someone has a genuine front knuckle which is fitted to one of the aforesaid cars before DVLA registration is sought and, if accepted as a J, P, K or whatever by DVLA, would have a V5C with the factory chassis number. However the current, somewhat inconsistent rules for inclusion of a Triple-M car on the list and being allocated a number (seemingly two separate exercises!) would preclude a car with a new chassis, even with an original front knuckle and a current V5C, being allocated a Register number.

Another consideration is that an accurate copy of a K3, for example, could presumably get FIA HTP papers - see https://www.msauk.org/assets/fiahtpguidelines.pdf - and would be allowed to race at events where HTP was considered acceptable.

Personally, I don't consider these replicas/copies at all offensive. They're no different to things like the Lynx D Types or some of the better Cobra or GT 40 replicas/copies and if you can't afford the real thing, but can afford a replica/copy, then you can have just as much driving pleasure for a lot less money.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  22:10:39  Show Profile
These vehicles from all marques are a world wide issue.

I presented a concept to the FIVA General Assembly in Krakow in 2015 on behalf of the New Zealand Vintage Car Club (Inc.)(NZVCC)

This concept Authentic Reproduction Vehicle (ARV) was voted into the NZVCC as a new class with a resounding majority as New Zealanders have recognized the importance of correctly separating exact copies from the original vehicle fleets.

These vehicles exist and are being built every day, so they need a place to exist from and be correctly documented, and what better place within a section of the Marque Clubs.

As we have seen in the past if not recognized as ARV's they tend to accumulate history mostly of a dubious nature in the attempt to be sold as a genuine car either now or some time in the future, and it may not be in our life time, so the responsibility surely is to correctly classify them now.

In my opinion the Peter Gregory vehicles as ARV's have a place in history and should be documented as such. Also the original vehicle fleet must not be diluted by them.

The flyer presented in Krakow is as below.

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000