Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Peter Gregory - K3 Reps
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2017 :  21:18:47  Show Profile
Ian,

Please could you tell me your definition of a Triple-M car, i.e. how would you accurately describe a Triple-M car?

Peter

Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2017 :  21:56:57  Show Profile
Well there seems to be a lot of talking here.... bit like our old codgers meeting at the pub putting the world to rights..... but not much driving going on....
Our cars are our property and you do what you wish with them.......some people will applaud .. some will despise you... but that is life....
As to what your car looks like just take the factory approach..... fit anything, they would, to make a sale.... and if that fell off they would rebody
it for you.....so often saloons were factory converted to open cars and so the business of the MG Car Co continued.
Last Century I was told of an exchange between members of the Triple -M Register after I had come off the track at MGCC Silverstone with the rear axle case broken and the car covered in oil...."If that car were mine I would not do that with it" was the opinion expressed... countered by "It's f*******g good that is not yours as no one would see it do what MG designed it to do".
I don't mind what YOU do with YOUR MG as long as you enjoy it....use it....care for it........
AND if you don't like what the Triple-M Register does/says/etc then I can see a lot of you standing for election to the Register Committee and making your views felt.
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2017 :  22:51:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Foz
...standing for election to the Register Committee and making your views felt.

Tried that, Foz, and gave up after a year

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  07:23:56  Show Profile
Hi Simon,
........only a year ! What no stamina !..... seriously well done on continuing with the Year Book as this illustrates (Ha Ha...) that the Triple-M Register is much more than a list of cars and when you generate a list there will always be problems. Listing our cars is good in many ways but will have flaws as 80+ years, one careful owner... and many who were not...will mean NONE of our cars is original. Again that depends on how you define original..... "Totally Original ....." even got the Abingdon air in the tyres....
Any owner with the Factory File of their car will see that many things got replaced/special fixtures/mods etc as requested by the owner... and none more so than the competition cars some of which needed complete rebuilds within weeks of being built.
List them all with as much info as possible and state source of info if known.... with the usual caveats .......
Well that probably has hijacked this thread good and proper.
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  07:36:33  Show Profile
Out of interest, and talking about non - original attachments. J4129 was fitted with a carbide lighting system, I have the front lamp. two rear lamps and the remains of a generator. Talk about going back in time. Can anyone with early knowledge of these give me an idea where it would have been fitted...and why ? I assume that Brooklands / Trials history must have a part in this. Thanks.

CJD
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  07:41:32  Show Profile
No Foz I think you have added to the real conversation ... car's change in their life but it's at what point we decide to stop their metamorphosis; and it is particular pertinent when you refer to the ex racing car's ... very good point.

Chris Blood D0407 & F0753
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  07:44:31  Show Profile
just add a starting handle and hot tube ignition to the carbide lamps and you will have the complete opposite of the modern trend to head for electric cars....
no it is not April 1st.
Sorry I cannot help with a factual answer but did the car go overseas to somewhere that parts could be difficult.... and batteries were quite expensive...
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  08:03:11  Show Profile
just to pick up on a point Foz made....now sit down this maybe a bit controversial but.....do you see yourselves as owners who have the right to do as you please with your car or are you merely the custodians in possession till it's sold on to the next person (custodian) and should this affect how you rebuild / resurrect a car in your tenure.......(this topic could roll for a bit)
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  08:07:13  Show Profile
Barry , did you want all the bolts&nuts kept that I took off in the rebuild/paint I scraped off the body etc, you should have said. Don't think I bottled the air from the tubes so afraid it's gone. Don't think the paint I used on the chassis /running gear came from a 1930s tin either, so that won't help originality side with the concours points. Despite these failings , I think we rebuilt the car last time quicker than some of these web topics go on and USING it! I'll bring the original /knackered bits I still have to the pub next time I'm down

Edited by - O.Thomas on 10/11/2017 08:31:10
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  08:35:49  Show Profile
Hi Oliver,
yes please, I had wondered where they went....
will add it to the pile of parts in the loft...... along with the bent front axle,stub,wheel,o/s bonnet valence etc from the 1990 "mechanical Failure that put me and the Rat into intensive care. Also the bonnet side and burnt ash when the car had an ignition problem at Angouleme and the Brooklands can exploded and set the car on fire..also a n/s trim panel with scorched leather. Also another wheel and tyre that got "munched" on the Klausen when the Bently put me into a storm drain...still got past him...., also a rear axle case with o/side fitting and spinner after being assaulted by a Riley at a very wet Silverstone, some more body panels and radiator bits and front wing stay tie bar when the Fiat tipped me over at Mugello.....plus another front hub when the thread on the hub broke releasing the wheel and dropping the front onto the backplate when racing in South Africa . plus the bits you have from Angouleme attack by Deemster..... that should be enough to build a rolling chassis. I have the remains of the ENV gearbox when the clutch exploded at Montlhery, several cranks and rods, pistons, valves,cams etc etc and a big bag of broken rev counter drives and cables.. oh also the brake cable I sheared when Patrick G. put me off in a Triple-M race by spinning at Maggots.... areoscreens, headlamps bits, nice bonnet top with reshaped louvers etc.....
only another 35 years or so of use should give me enough to build another "original" C-type.
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  08:55:04  Show Profile
Foz, completely off topic, but you should write a book of your racing exploits
It would be educational and very entertaining
I for one would buy a copies :)

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  09:00:55  Show Profile
Thanks Colin !
would be of use if the pages were of different thicknesses ... would make good gaskets!
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  09:19:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Foz

just add a starting handle and hot tube ignition to the carbide lamps and you will have the complete opposite of the modern trend to head for electric cars....
no it is not April 1st.
Sorry I cannot help with a factual answer but did the car go overseas to somewhere that parts could be difficult.... and batteries were quite expensive...
FOZ

The car did end up in Cyprus, but not until 1984, the J2 prior to that was dismantled in 1964. I was told once that some competition J2s had a carbide system fitted to give extra lighting which was brighter than the standard arrangements. Not sure if for driving lighting or to highlight say the engine bay for repairs etc.

CJD
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  10:06:18  Show Profile
Thank you for the invitation, Peter, to provide my definition a Triple-M car.

The first objective of the Register makes the definition the responsibility of the Register Committee, so that it can maintain a Register of these cars. Unless the Committee plans to abdicate responsibility for this, my definition is irrelevant.

My concern, which is fully articulated through the diverse situations in the postings above, is that no definition or set of Guidelines can satisfactorily determine the provenance of all cars (cars, of course remain undefined, and that is another whole bag of worms) seeking a Triple-M Register number.

I set out earlier a number of possible approaches by the Committee to this situation, and still await any form of a response.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  13:04:21  Show Profile
At the old codgers monthly meeting at the Leather Bottle putting the world to rights, I thought I heard Holmes say to Watson:

"It is quite a three pipe problem, and I beg that you won't speak to me for fifty minutes."

John R
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000