Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Threshold plates
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  13:41:29  Show Profile
This subject has been discussed before for various models, however I have been faced with a question to which I can find no reference.
The question is :- were the plates set into the door sills so that the surface of the plates was level with the aluminium skin of the door sill?
A Triple M colleague Brian Kelly sent me photos of his K Type which bore evidence that “ the body skin mated up to the threshold plate at each end as oppose to the plate being mounted on the skin”
When I came to fit the plates to my ND I noticed that, particularly at the front, the body skin overlapping inside the door stopped at about the same place that the plate would be fitted.. it was difficult to be sure as there have been several layers of paint over the years.
I would be very interested to hear whether any one has any thoughts on the subject?
Thanks
Malcolm

Oz34

United Kingdom
2493 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  15:25:27  Show Profile
Hi Malcolm,

As nobody seems to have put their head above the parapet so far, I'll offer my view. I believe, but it's only my guess, that the plates are laid on top of the skin turn over. Let's face it, MGs were cheap cars and the time taken to let the plate into the skin would not be warranted; stick it on top. It cost less.

Off at a very slight tangent. Can anyone tell me how the threshold plates were attached? Were small screws used or small panel pins. Also, what material were these screws/pins made of? Whatever was used, where would they be positioned? Some seem to have pairs spaced along the plate while others seem to use single fasteners so spaced.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1542 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  15:50:02  Show Profile
Malcolm, Dave,
Does this help ............ looks like small slotted wood screws on a pretty original PB0522:

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1542 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  15:51:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Sutherland

Malcolm, Dave,
Does this help ............ looks like small slotted wood screws on a pretty original PB0522 (I'd use s/s ones):

Bruce. (PB0564)

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2493 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  19:48:53  Show Profile
Thank you Bruce, that certainly looks good to me and I guess it will also answer Malcolm's question?

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  23:43:33  Show Profile
Thank you Bruce and Dave, your comments make sense and I have already trial fitted them on top of the skin on the basis that if it is proved otherwise I can always reset them,. As regards fastening I have been advised that they were fixed with aluminium screws.
I have obtained these of the appropriate size from “tonycharman164@btinternet.com. The size I got was 4x3/4 raised ally Vintage which came with with 2 steel 4x3/4 to be used as a means of cutting the thread.
I must say they look the part.
Will post a phot tomorrow.
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  17:15:14  Show Profile
Photo of my off side threshold plate temporarily fixed. When drilling the holes I did not encounter an aluminium skin.
Has anybody any thoughts on whether the plates were let into the door sill?
Thanks
Malcolm

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  19:10:42  Show Profile
To me Malcolm your trial fitting looks great. I should go the whole way.
Thank you for details of the screws. Ali sounds to be just the right thing and the steel thread cutters an obvious idea once you've got your soft "final use" screws. Thanks also for the link.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  19:31:09  Show Profile
The ones on my J2 were/are secured with panel pins, the same type as used on the body panels in that area. plates are just laid over the edge of the skin. All rather crude really. My plates are 1970s repros (originals are rather ragged & corroded, so were replace d & hung on the wall (for my replica#128526;).
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
369 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2017 :  09:41:07  Show Profile
My N type ones were somewhat different. I have always assumed that they were original...

NA 0279
PA 1294
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2017 :  09:57:14  Show Profile
Mine (PA) were fixed the same way as Jeremy describes and were equally crude!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2017 :  10:34:30  Show Profile
Thanks gents for your comments.
Yours,Andrew, look to be fastened to a polished metal sill. Is this aluminium ans does it just cover the sill. If it is original then it opens up the question further.
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2493 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2017 :  12:24:38  Show Profile
My ancient ones, probably not dissimilar to Jeremy's, were fixed with panel pins, though they were not attached when I bought the car. In that case, I used brass pins for the body panels which wouldn't look very good against the plates. Stainless would be OK but I'm sure would not have been used originally. I know Colin Mac, just get in and drive it!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
369 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2017 :  20:23:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm Bailey

Thanks gents for your comments.
Yours,Andrew, look to be fastened to a polished metal sill. Is this aluminium ans does it just cover the sill. If it is original then it opens up the question further.
Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

Yes, there is a polished aluminium cover over the sill held in with panel pins. As far as I know this is original for this car (3 previous owners and only restored once during the 1970's).

NA 0279
PA 1294
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2017 :  09:17:26  Show Profile
Thank you Dave and Andrew for your comments. As the ND has a K2 body it would be of help if one or two K2 owners could submit photos of their door sills and comment on whether they are on top of or set into the alu skin on the bottom of the door frame.
Thanks in anticipation
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2017 :  11:52:50  Show Profile

Malcolm,
I have taken a look at the threshold plates of my original body from K2001. However it is clear that the aluminium body cladding has been replaced at some time and covers the entire width of the wooden section beneath the door, and the MG plate has been altered and fastened thereto with various screws. I do not feel therefore that a photo would be helpful in this instance.
Powerplus.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000