Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 The small unheated garage
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

PeterN

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  18:30:52  Show Profile
I am a martyr to the cause in the winter. Always tripping over my own feet, and testing just how cold you can get and still concentrate. Still it can't be that bad, the hedgehogs are still turning up outside the garage door for their nightly feed. I thought they would have been hibernating by now. I envy you chaps with space and heat......and music???

Peter
1930 M type MG 748
2M/1506

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  20:11:04  Show Profile
Get a calor gas heater - cheap to run and useful for drying painted bits as well.

David
J 3355
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  21:45:35  Show Profile
I.must.be.lucky.I.have.a.centally.heated.four.car.garage.yet.mycomputer.keyboard.won't.space.mmmmmm

CJD
Go to Top of Page

PeterN

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  22:06:37  Show Profile
A cross you have to bear

Peter
1930 M type MG 748
2M/1506
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1027 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  22:11:37  Show Profile
Instaling a wood burner was the best thing I did to my workshop.
-5 outside and I still get it 18-20 degrees.
Now only a heated tool box because the spanners take e bit longer to warm up ;)

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

TCTom

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  23:57:09  Show Profile
Guess I'm a wimp here in Indiana USA. Crystal clear skies on a chilly 0deg C day. Went for a TC drive with my brother in law. Man it felt colder than it should.
My cave is almost complete. 1,600 sq feet workspace underneath my garage and driveway with bright LED lights, heating, air con, dehumidifier, bathroom, large restaurant sink, new rotary screw air compressor, music and TV by the large glass doors and windows. It will be the place I spend the bulk of my time the next several years.
I'm too faint hearted for cold floors and dim lighting anymore. Been there, done that.
I admire those of you that can still do it!

Tom Wilson
Zionsville, IN USA
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  10:49:22  Show Profile
Tom, you've made me realise how easy it could be to hate someone I've never even met .

Chris, I recently destroyed the keyboard on my laptop (yes, coffee!), and found I could buy a replacement online for about £10, and it took five minutes to change. This.trick.must.be.driving.you.nuts!

BTW, a general note: it would make it easier to reply personally to a post if everyone incorporated their first name (or preferred nickname/epithet) in a profile signature block. This saves us having to look you up in the members' list. This obviously doesn't apply if you use your real name as your forum user name.

Cheers,

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2017 :  10:32:51  Show Profile
As I only need to heat myself (and my dog) up in the area where I'm
working I have a new LED heater hanging from the ceiling above me. Cost me £250 including a sparky to fit it but well worth it. Also a little fan heater to warm my hands up but they use a lot of juice to run.
I laid cheap, hard wearing carpet on the floor which so I'm not standing on cold concrete and it just makes it feel cosy and means I hoover more often to keep it looking good :-)

Regards James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2017 :  14:58:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by David R

Get a calor gas heater - cheap to run and useful for drying painted bits as well.

David
J 3355

The only trouble with these is that they burn up all the oxygen in the air and when I had one it gave me a dreadful sore throat.
That was a long time ago, so maybe they are a bit better these days.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 14/11/2017 14:59:21
Go to Top of Page

Tim Phelps

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2017 :  14:59:59  Show Profile
Fully agree with James on the carpet - makes all the difference as a lot of cold can come up through the floor. A few years ago the office where I worked was being refurbished and i took (with permission) about 100 second-hand office grade carpet tiles - fantastic! But any carpet helps reduce the cold, and also soaks up the odd bit of oil
Go to Top of Page

correlejco

United Kingdom
251 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2017 :  17:23:59  Show Profile
Soaks up the oil? Surely not! Never heard of a prewar car that drops oil.

John - 1934 NA0492
Go to Top of Page

correlejco

United Kingdom
251 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2017 :  17:41:57  Show Profile
As well as Cooperman's oxygen starvation, there's another issue with burning Calor (or any butane / propane) gas in a confined space.
2 C4H10 + 13 O2 --> 10 H2O + 8 CO2
So 2 molecules of butane uses 13 molecules of oxygen and produces 8 of carbon dioxide and 10 of water (which condenses on anything as soon as it's cold).
Recipe for headaches and corrosion.

John - 1934 NA0492
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2017 :  18:27:22  Show Profile
When we were drawing up the plans for our house I cunningly arranged for the garage to be directly below the drawing room, or the ‘good’ room, if you will, with the result that the bigger the room, the bigger the garage. It’s not enormous, but bigger than it might otherwise have been. No heating or carpet, though, those are for sissies (be said enviously)

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2017 :  21:31:51  Show Profile
A chap on the VSCC forum says that a carpet is the last thing to have in your garage as it acts as a wick and residual oil and petrol need the slightest spark and whoosh up it goes. Use a duck board instead if your feet are cold.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2017 :  21:49:47  Show Profile
Mine is a workshop solely for trimming and never has any cars in it so apologies if I've led anyone astray. However, most classic car folk I know aren't that interested in this modern idea of health & safety :-)

Regards James Collingburn

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 14/11/2017 21:51:26
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2017 :  08:28:36  Show Profile
I keep my toolbox on small table next to the garage c/h radiator, keeps my scanners warm.on the floor I use small metre size pieces of waste cardboard from packaging, and replace frequently.

CJD
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000