Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 The small unheated garage
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2017 :  09:55:25  Show Profile
Hello all.
I have to have carpets, rightly or wrongly. The fact that they are there tends to help to overcome that awful tendency when very cold,to opt out of going out to the garage at all. Same goes for my workshop although I also use duckboards by the machines.

After years of ‘roughing it ‘ I think at my time of life I deserve some kind of ‘luxury’ although having said that I still haven’t organised a suitable form of heating, any more suggestions? (I wouldn’t use Calor gas for the reasons already stated.)

Chris

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3226 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2017 :  10:19:22  Show Profile
I am lucky in that I have a 4 car garage one space of which I am using as my machine shop for working on the 1/3 scale traction engine I am building by way of a change from the five Triple-M cars I have rebuilt (I have owned 3 PAs, 2 PBs, NB and current L2).

I have no heating apart from the usual small fan type, and on the floor I have used ecotile interlocking tiles which are expensive but very good, hard wearing and they insulate the cold and dusty concrete floor. Screwfix stock them.

I have been receiving unsolicited pictures from site called carguygarage - some of the set ups, and contents, are awesome!

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 15/11/2017 10:21:05
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2017 :  10:41:51  Show Profile
Interesting that George as apart from the MGs , I am also building a model ‘ Victoria ‘ steam engine and a model petrol four-stroke engine.

I can never understand people who are ‘bored’ and ‘haven’t anything to do’.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
460 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2017 :  10:56:54  Show Profile
Proper foot wear is a life saver when you work outside all year round, mucking out animals on concrete or working in the garage, a type of muck boot I use is Grubs frostline with thermal socks, other brand like Muck are ok to drive in as they are quite thin on sole. I am like George, with 3 double garage and cardboard on the floor in awe of Car Guy Garages, but the cars housed in them are often Canyoneros not dainty Pre War.

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2017 :  11:13:58  Show Profile
I'm tucked up in my heated, sealed, floored, tv'd and musically equipped 'man-cave' for the day today
(Nick, I've tried, but dont seem to be able to get them in the correct orientation!)

Chris Blood D0407 & F0753
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2017 :  12:23:27  Show Profile
Are you also a bat Chris?

Regards James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2017 :  13:01:29  Show Profile
Chris
I am unable to get into the server at the moment, I will correct the pictures as soon as I am able.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1870 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2017 :  14:30:58  Show Profile

There you go.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2017 :  15:43:37  Show Profile
Your footwear should be Safety Shoes with a steel sole (to stop nails, screws or other bits of metal penetrating your feet) and steel toe caps to save your tootsies from damage should you drop something.
I actually do wear safety shoes as I have shoes, rigger's boots and wellingtons that all conform left over from the days when I did a proper job, but I don't wear a hard hat, a hi-vis jacket or tabard. Mind you my wife says that it might help her finding me among all the old bits of rust (actually they are really essential spares)
The Elf and Safety police will be round, you have been warned.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 15/11/2017 15:44:46
Go to Top of Page

FrankAshleymgm

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2017 :  17:51:54  Show Profile
We have a large steel framed concrete garage, notorious for cold in winter, and for horrendous condensation as soon as the temperature goes up a couple of degrees. The solution was to add wooden batons to the steel frame of both the walls and roof, to support a 4mm plywood face with domestic loft insulation in between.
A decent dehumidifier and a time controlled oil filled radiator ensures that the garage is never damp and the temperature has never dropped below 40F even in the coldest of our winters. A fan heater soon brings the ambient temperature up to a comfortable level.

I use some carpet in the standing area, but have so far stayed away from putting it under the cars for the potential fire risk reasons although as I use drip trays under engine, gearbox and rear axle, the risk is probably minimal.

Frank

Frank Ashley
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2017 :  21:14:39  Show Profile
Chris
I turned them right side up before I saw Nigel had done it for you. If they still look upside down you will need to clear your cache.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2017 :  22:37:49  Show Profile
In terms of clothing I am confident that the most common is an anorak

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2017 :  23:06:25  Show Profile
Hello Robin.

Perhaps we are all anoraks !!

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2017 :  10:52:31  Show Profile
I think that was Robin's point, but he was just too polite to be more specific.

Colin B.

Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2017 :  11:48:35  Show Profile
Thanks Colin.

I have been known to be a little slow on the uptake from time to time and it was rather late !!

Chris.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000