Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 A Small Spring Job
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2017 :  00:55:51  Show Profile
Have been working on the new leaf springs purchased from one of our suppliers.

The springs came in different appearance from original. The leaves were cut off square as opposed to chamfered and there were no stamps as were original to the springs fitted new.

So, arranged to have a machine shop chamfer the spring ends and engrave the similar to original information onto the leaves. In addition had the roller clips radiuses done to look similar to original.

Next will be polish and paint and use Slip Plate graphite paint between all the leaves.

Best,

Brian W Sullivan

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2017 :  06:58:41  Show Profile
Wow- such dedication. I'm not sure I would go to those lengths but I take my hat off to you!

Pardon my ignorance here but do all the original MMM springs carry such engraving? If nothing else it seems like a potential fracture causing "hotspot" or is it OK being on the end of the spring rather than the middle?

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3051 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2017 :  10:29:05  Show Profile
Brian, is there not a danger that in future these brand new springs will one day be mistaken for originals? Would ' NOV 2017' not have been more candid than 'APR 1933'? Perhaps the genuine modern makers name (or no name) would also help avoid confusion for posterity?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

creamcracker

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2017 :  17:34:04  Show Profile
Whilst I admire the dedication to 'originality' I firmly believe that anything dated which is reproduced/replicated should be clearly marked as such, for just the reasons as stated by Sam. All it needs is an 'R' or the current date in brackets after the original.
Just my personal views. Keith
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2017 :  21:16:39  Show Profile
Hello Gents,

Sam & Keith, Thought this through beforehand. I note; We place mirrors, lamps (Marked Lucas), windscreens etched with mark, etc. onto our cars all reproduced to a high level. The springs are different in construction to original as the fastening bolts are round head and the leaves are of different thickness than original as well. Dating is a point I agree with & I do not wish to deceive now or in the future. So as suggested I will place a "R" mark onto them so they will not be deceptive to any in future or now.

To answer Kevin, original marks were stamped into the leaf while hot. I did not want to do this as would damage the temper. The recess of the engraving is indeed very light and has been sanded on top. The letters are sharply defined as opposed to original which is pressed into the molten metal as well. The location of the mark does not in any way rub or abrade the other spring surfaces. I thought others may also have done this in past to replicate as nearly as possible the makers marks.

Very Best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

creamcracker

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2017 :  07:17:41  Show Profile
Wow Brian- how refreshing to see your positive response to my suggestion on something that some people would take as a direct criticism or an accusation of wrong doing. There are many parts that get replaced over the years on our cars, but where dated should be able to be taken as the original date of manufacture or a replacement.
We are but custodians of these creations of Cecil Kimber and I believe that it behoves us to respect their provenance.
Best wishes, Keith

Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2017 :  17:25:47  Show Profile
Keith,

I understood the comments here to be in a spirit helpfulness. Further, I think it best to treat others as I would like to be treated. Kind words turn away wrath, I certainly don't have all the answers this is why I ask those of you in the club.

There are wonderful people & experience here in this club. A treasure of rich heritage, fine workmanship, care and guidance available at no cost, if only one asks.

I'm attempting to do as others, what is best for the car as it's caretaker.

Kind Regards,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2017 :  19:28:01  Show Profile
Well said Brian!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
497 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2017 :  02:28:00  Show Profile
Brian, I'm anxious to see your car at a near future NAMMMR event. Further, I plan on crawling under your car - my back allowing of course..... - to make sure that "R" is on every leaf !!!

Enjoy the process and don't be too long till you make it to one of our events!!

Tommm on the bright sunny southern shores of Lake Erie
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2017 :  08:00:49  Show Profile
Hello Tom,

An " R " has indeed been stamped on every leaf now,

From the rainy shores of the Pacific Northwest.

best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2017 :  17:15:56  Show Profile
Brian. In connection with your posting of the 17th November, as Dick says "Well said ". Your "true colours come shining through. They are beautiful - like a rainbow" as the song says.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2017 :  16:57:28  Show Profile
Dear Collin,

What I have said are but simple true words...

What others have done and continue here in this club speak far better than I.

One long time club member I know, for no personal gain, has taken on the heavy burden of listing and selling the parts of his dear friend's extensive MMM parts estate. He has provided his widow great help in time of need. What more can one say.

The True, Great & Best shining of a Triple M member.

Surely, these pages could be filled with the wonderful caring actions of those in this club.

A Deep Well of knowledge, Skill & Help in time of need...in action

Truly a fantastic place this club is.

Best wishes to All, and thank you to all who have and continue to help.

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
759 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2017 :  22:27:14  Show Profile
Hi Brian,
great job on the springs... should have done that with the replacement leaves in some of my springs before i`got tipped upside down at Angouleme.........sad to hear that some of your nice Californian vinyards got burned the other month... Simi Valley turns out some good juice !
cheers..
FOZ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000