Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Peter Gregory - K3 Rep
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  07:38:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ollirichardson

What bits are Original K3 in your view then Russ?

I didn't ask for specifics it was mentioned during the general conversation maybe I should of asked see this is where I need to be a bit sharper I'll put this useful bit of information in my tool box in my quest for a MMM...so what bits are on any K3 Rep? none?.....so the fact that it has a non original new chassis is what makes this PG K3 less than half the price of others ??? and that with other K3 Reps that half the value of the car is the chassis providing it's a K Type chassis so what about the value of a K3 Rep built on an NA Type chassis......it all starts to get messy don't you think

(I may not be a clever man but I know someone who is)

Edited by - Russ Jackson on 18/11/2017 08:08:04
Go to Top of Page

MGB

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  07:43:10  Show Profile
Prehaps the car is bought by someone who does not want to race. Perhaps he just wants to have some fun driving in what in his (or her) opinion is a good looking car. On a nice country road in the summer to some friends or to the local pub. I certainly hope that this is the case.

http://www.dioncre.nl/Algje/index.html
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  08:01:08  Show Profile
No Russ you didn't ask , you stated it had original K3 parts hence Peter Greens reply. It's only half the price because it has no provenance, no stories of its life to tell (well not good ones anyway), would think that's fairly obvious
Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  08:09:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MGB

Prehaps the car is bought by someone who does not want to race. Perhaps he just wants to have some fun driving in what in his (or her) opinion is a good looking car. On a nice country road in the summer to some friends or to the local pub. I certainly hope that this is the case.

http://www.dioncre.nl/Algje/index.html

hopefully.....I'm sure it'll pop up somewhere

Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  08:10:10  Show Profile
99.99% (est!) of the population wouldn't know an Abingdon made K3 from a PG made version. Certainly they would not be able to enter any debate on the relative provenance of one with an original chassis and one with a recovered scrap chassis or the impact on provenance of a replacement engine/gearbox etc. A possible reason for the PG cars existence is simply its fun value and ability to impress the neighbours or even just as a 'crumpet magnet'.

If the world and its wife don't give a monkey's, why spend so much effort, like the Inquisition, in setting up complex rules to define the 'good' and in chasing down and on occasions, expelling heretics. There are now few, if any, pure blood Triple M cars; drawing an arbitrary line makes little sense.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  08:27:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ollirichardson

No Russ you didn't ask , you stated it had original K3 parts hence Peter Greens reply. It's only half the price because it has no provenance, no stories of its life to tell (well not good ones anyway), would think that's fairly obvious

you caught me mid edit Ollie.....I get the original MG Provenance bit but what stories does any K3 Rep have....certainly no racing stories from Brooklands or anywhere else....maybe stories of the old dear who originally bought it as a pillarless saloon to go back and forwards to Harrods to pick up her Fois Grais......anyway I'll leave you lads with it....have a nice weekend

Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  08:30:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Bowers

99.99% (est!) of the population wouldn't know an Abingdon made K3 from a PG made version. Certainly they would not be able to enter any debate on the relative provenance of one with an original chassis and one with a recovered scrap chassis or the impact on provenance of a replacement engine/gearbox etc. A possible reason for the PG cars existence is simply its fun value and ability to impress the neighbours or even just as a 'crumpet magnet'.

If the world and its wife don't give a monkey's, why spend so much effort, like the Inquisition, in setting up complex rules to define the 'good' and in chasing down and on occasions, expelling heretics. There are now few, if any, pure blood Triple M cars; drawing an arbitrary line makes little sense.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772

Well said Ian......"Crumpet magnet"......LOL

Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  12:22:08  Show Profile
I guess Ian, much of the current eras issues are down to value. Whilst I agree there is no way to draw a single arbitrary line how would you value ,....say a 2017 built recreation, an n special or a car with continuos history back to brooklands.

Especially if they all claimed to be the later!

I hope that any car gets used for pure enjoyment ....but most of these issues and debates stem from cars being on the market and putting them in the spot light.

Any buyer surely would want to know what they were buying?

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  12:43:57  Show Profile
That, Mark, is for the market alone to decide; willing buyer, willing seller and caveat emptor are all pertinent parameters.

If the vendor mis-describes, and worse, uses some aspect of the Register's processes as a basis for the provenance, then it falls to the Courts. This has, of course, already happened, in the case of a Bentley or two. The narrative to the Courts decision provides a basis for establishing what are the key determinants. They do not match the Register's Guidelines.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772

Edited by - Ian Bowers on 18/11/2017 12:45:15
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  14:07:43  Show Profile
Guidelines, process and Latin..... I wasn’t thinking of any of that wrongs or rights.

As a buyer I would look to a source of knowledge and history to enable me to make a decision other than the seller. Why not ask the MG Car club??

guess we could just use Wikipedia

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  14:33:58  Show Profile
I heard a notable (senior)member of the MGCC call the Parnell an R type in the scrutineering bay at MG silverstone once, when we were getting it scrutineered. Probably not the best people to be consulted-))
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  14:53:59  Show Profile
I only meant the regsiter is part of the MGCC.

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1026 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  15:39:14  Show Profile
But is the parnell a triple M given the lack of knuckle? ;)

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  16:02:38  Show Profile
Don't even go there onno!-))
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5987 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  16:37:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dolts

As a buyer I would look to a source of knowledge and history to enable me to make a decision other than the seller. Why not ask the MG Car club?

Being a source of knowledge and history is one thing but using that knowledge and history as a basis for purporting to pass judgement on the authenticity of car by allocating it a Register number is another thing altogether. Just look at what happened to NA0356. Come to think of it, what did happen to NA0356?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000