Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Peter Gregory - K3 Rep
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  16:46:12  Show Profile
Onno,

Yes, the Parnell MG is covered under Section 3.1.4 of the present Register Guidelines.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1027 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  17:34:29  Show Profile
Peter I was just teasing given the recent discussions hence the ;)

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  18:15:40  Show Profile
Maybe the works should have built indestructible crash proof knuckles made of rubber!

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

NeilF

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  19:37:05  Show Profile
A very nice K3 Replica - yes I think that description is valid as the car does not meet the criteria for inclusion in the MMM Register - is advertised for sale. The car does though meet the DVLA requirements for use on the road. Even before the ink is dry on the auction catalogue this forum is bombarded with e-mail comments on the authenticity of this car some of which are very negative. This car was built by a well reputed restorer / supplier who sadly is no longer here to reply but I am sure he helped a lot of members keep their cars on the road. After 10 pages the forum moderator brought a close to that discussion.

Within hours of the auction closing it has all started off again. I am not aware that the new owner has been named or if he has approached the MGCC / MMM Register but the contributors are keen to voice their opinions as to what he can or cannot do with the car. I think that is grossly unfair as the MGCC is proud that it offers the hand of friendship to all - if he follows this forum maybe he will go his own way without us and we will be deprived of the chance to see a fine example of Peter Gregory's expertise at MGLive and other events in the future.

I have recently returned to MMM ownership after many years away and this is my first post. My car is a PA bitza mongrel and there are probably members who will find that unacceptable but my enjoyment is driving the car not polishing its heritage.

Neil
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  19:48:19  Show Profile
Just becaus cars are not on the register does not mean they are not welcome with us.
R Type recreation for example.

Plus others with huge history but no recognisable Chasis number.

Let’s all enjoy!

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  20:04:16  Show Profile
Hello Neil

Welcome to the Forum and well done on returning to ownership of a Triple - M car.

I am pleased to note you plan to enjoy the PA, I hope you will let our PA Registrar
Dick Morbey have details.

George
Secretary
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  20:29:27  Show Profile
Hello Neil.

As one West Country Boy to another, PROPER JOB !!

Regards,

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
226 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  22:09:36  Show Profile
Hi All,

"A possible reason for the PG cars existence is simply its fun value and ability to impress the neighbours or even just as a 'crumpet magnet'."

I would certainly agree that my MG NB Special (ex PGs workshop) certainly ticks the fun value, impress the neighbours certainly not at 5am going on a EMR, "crumpet magnet" not around my neighbourhood. If you want a crumpet catcher can't go past a red E Type Coupe.

The essence for me in all the MGs I have owned has been that they are or were very small capacity cars that were driven like hell and at times beat the big end of town. The reality is most prewar race cars were taken from the factory, raced, rebuilt, raced, engine destroyed, back to factory, new engine, new body etc.

Some of the MGs I have previously owned L0638 & J3763 all ended up as chassis only (with correct number) at some stage in their life. The fact that they are now usable cars with replacement bodies etc does this detract from their history, probably so but what race cars are still ex factory after 80 years? The only MG that I have owned that was near to ex factory was the KD tourer. (still a tourer before everyone jumps up and down)

MGs and Rileys have always been cars that enthusiasts have used to build racing special for many years, the fact that Peter Gregory decided to build specials as a business based on the K3 design, where is the problem? The same fuss does not seem to be generated for J4, C, NE or R type specials. Certainly other "Enthusiasts are making this into an art form with J4s.

For me the problems occur when the line is blurred by the dishonestly of misrepresenting the facts, calling a car something it is not. It should be the original factory chassis designation followed by "Special" if radically altered from the factory specifications for that model.

If car with and original chassis has been fitted with a "foreign" engine or similar it should be a "Special". What's the fun claiming I have have the fastest MG TC when powered by a Rover V8, hardly competition.

A new chassis with no number or fabricated numbers should not be accepted by the register.

A new chassis with an original stamped knuckle should also be clearly noted on the register as "New Chassis".

The enjoyment for me when running the NB Special at hill climbs and sprint meeting is the thrill in what a small six cylinder car can do and the surprise on a few competitors faces when it beats the times of their MGBs

cheers
ross kelly

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2017 :  23:23:44  Show Profile
The trouble is, Ross, that what you've described is pretty much how the Register operates - see the guidelines here http://www.triple-mregister.org/registerlogin.asp But in addition, to be allocated a Register number the car must have an 'original' Triple-M chassis which is defined as being 'an original unaltered chassis in the form in which it left the M.G. Works at the time and place of its original manufacture and including its original front dumb iron (knuckle)'. This rules out a cut and shut chassis, a parallelled N Type chassis and even, I would argue, a chassis which has been repaired using any new components whatsoever. So where originally, the Register number was really just a way of keeping count, it has now become a badge of authenticity to be granted, and withdrawn, on the basis of this definition. So a car can be on the Register, but not be granted a Register number.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 18/11/2017 23:25:01
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2017 :  21:18:58  Show Profile
"A new chassis with no number or fabricated numbers should not be accepted by the register."

It never is that simple Ross.

I have see this situation in other Marques before, make it "OUT" and inventive owners or builders will acquire dubious history from some where even many years later so they are "IN".

But if the register accept them for what they are as "ARV" (see other locked thread) and they are in the system and in their own category, and will eventually set their own market pricing.

"A new chassis with an original stamped knuckle should also be clearly noted on the register as "New Chassis". "

Only one small part makes a huge difference? its called cloning in New Zealand.

Yes the new chassis is a significant repair, the rest of the car is all brand new also, so we have a genuine M.G. because of one original knuckle?

What if I had the patterns to cast knuckles as original and I had the factory style letter punches. I would never provide one but when I sell out one day who knows what a new owner would do?

All these copy cars are better carefully listed separately by the register as "ARV" than left out side the register. They exist and will not go away so why not accept them for what they are, ARV's not M.G.'s?

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2017 :  14:00:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NeilF

A very nice K3 Replica - yes I think that description is valid as the car does not meet the criteria for inclusion in the MMM Register - is advertised for sale. The car does though meet the DVLA requirements for use on the road. Even before the ink is dry on the auction catalogue this forum is bombarded with e-mail comments on the authenticity of this car some of which are very negative. This car was built by a well reputed restorer / supplier who sadly is no longer here to reply but I am sure he helped a lot of members keep their cars on the road. After 10 pages the forum moderator brought a close to that discussion.

Within hours of the auction closing it has all started off again. I am not aware that the new owner has been named or if he has approached the MGCC / MMM Register but the contributors are keen to voice their opinions as to what he can or cannot do with the car. I think that is grossly unfair as the MGCC is proud that it offers the hand of friendship to all - if he follows this forum maybe he will go his own way without us and we will be deprived of the chance to see a fine example of Peter Gregory's expertise at MGLive and other events in the future.

I have recently returned to MMM ownership after many years away and this is my first post. My car is a PA bitza mongrel and there are probably members who will find that unacceptable but my enjoyment is driving the car not polishing its heritage.

Neil

it's a very nice K3 Rep...regardless....I hope he drives the Axles off it.....

(I may not be a clever man but I know someone who is)
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2017 :  10:07:47  Show Profile
Hello all.

With regards to earlier comments on this post about the possible decline in the sales of our cars in the current market thus affecting values; I note that the
‘K3’ Replica which has been recently advertised by Barry Walker for £220,000 has now been sold. Of course we do not know the actual selling price.

Chris
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000