Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Chassis Number required (4)
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2017 :  21:42:50  Show Profile
Can anyone help identify this car? It could be on a K type or N type chassis.

Peter

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2017 :  21:55:54  Show Profile
KN0332?

Cathelijne
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2017 :  22:14:47  Show Profile
Is the passenger very tall or is the preselector just warming his feet to much -))
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3214 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2017 :  22:23:32  Show Profile
The car is KN0332 in the stewardship of Chris Leydon of Colorado, USA.

Well done, Cat!

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2017 :  23:18:12  Show Profile
Thank you Cat and Lew. I will add the picture to the database/website.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1965 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2017 :  00:03:40  Show Profile
Yes, AER 774!
I bought the remains of this car (a KN) about 1973 from Yorkshire and began a massive project to produce a K3 copy.

The remains which I obtained by exchanging my ‘L’ type consisted only of a chassis frame, front and rear axles and brake parts.There wasn’t anything whatsoever remaining of it’s body, I humbly submit that without my intervention the ‘car’ could well have been lost. As to my motivation? Purely and simply a complete obsession and love of K3s from the time I obtained copies of ‘Maintainig the Breed’ by Thornley and McComb’s Profile Pulication No.15. In the 1960s.

Money never ever came into it as far as I was concerned only that it was a tremendous struggle financially (and technically as there wasn’t as much information available then.) Mike Hawke and dear old Colvin Gunn were very helpful it must be said.

Some of the comments made recently about K3s have been very hurtful to me as I have never destroyed an original car and my sole object was/ is to obtain something as close to the real thing as possible and it has been a long and hard struggle.I can only say that in my experience there must be easier ways to make money as in reality it can be sheer hard graft, much more difficult than say, a J or a P type for obvious reasons.

Regards,

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2017 :  00:11:30  Show Profile
Chris,

Thanks for the information, I will add the salient points to the database.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
728 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2017 :  06:31:04  Show Profile
well said Chris,

Regards,
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

cleydon

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2017 :  00:45:45  Show Profile
Indeed AER 774. I have owned this car for many years and like Chris, I became obsessed and in love with K3s when presented with the original large format copy of Maintaining the Breed in 1965. After finishing engineering school, I started a small restoration company and one of my clients, Gary Schonwald asked that I assist in manufacturing drawings for K3020 for a slab tank body to be made by Weybridge Engineering. This of coarse was the incorrect body for the first boat tail car to be made, however, I always thought KN0332 was fitted with one of the two bodies made from that time. When I purchased the car, I built a new engine using a block I had purchased from Gunter Stamm, an original factory bronze cylinder head (N), large blower, Phoenix crank, etc etc. I disassembled the rest of the car for rebuild and have put around 10K miles rallying it with my Swedish (tall) wife. I also was friends with Colvin Gunn and am most thankful for all the work he pioneered for us early enthusiasts. Although I made my living rebuilding Alfas, Bugatti, Maserati and Miller race cars, my love was always with MG. Like Chris, it is discouraging to witness the haughtiness and arrogance that has seeped into the register for want of "purity." I have lived in a different time which fortune has granted me to live, however, I still exhilarate in climbing 11,000 foot passes in fourth gear and wonder how many others could do the same in a MMM K.

Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1965 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2017 :  11:05:51  Show Profile
Hello Cleydon.

Very good to hear about the car and to see it being used and treasured.

Seems the old girl is in good hands.It broke my heart when I needed to sell her many years ago when I suffered with ill health.

Best regards,

Chris.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000