Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 J2 Production - the Body Track
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

sam christie

United Kingdom
3041 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2017 :  22:25:18  Show Profile
How do we know the worker is drawing ? Has he just made those two zeroes free hand ? And why is he not looking at what he is doing?

I wonder what the note under the wiper says.

Could it be another head above (silver haired) and another ear? Or is it something else?
Might the darker haired chap have his hands behind him while a white haired chap to his left is doing the work?

I guess only much higher resolution can begin to resolve this.

Can anyone see the V2 rocket site?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 30/12/2017 22:26:48
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
751 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2017 :  22:37:47  Show Profile
are you sure the chap didn't move as the picture was taken?

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3041 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2017 :  22:39:28  Show Profile
And changed his hair colour?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
573 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2017 :  23:17:33  Show Profile
Look at the whole photograph, it is filled with examples of the photographer capturing movement.

Regards James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5944 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2017 :  23:30:28  Show Profile
Looking from a bit further back once more, there are clearly some blurred people, but Sam may have hit on something - there could well be two people here as the visible arm doesn't look as though it belongs to the chap with the dark hair. Mind you, that's no help in working out what the mysterious 'O's are.

Simon J
J3437
P.S. I bet the note on the windscreen says 'In 80 years time, no one will have any idea what this photograph shows'.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 30/12/2017 23:31:39
Go to Top of Page

TCTom

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2017 :  00:32:07  Show Profile
Simon - you are spot on correct about what it says on the windscreen note!

The item with the "_00 is in fact the carpet set for the car. Binding on the edges is kind of crude (makes James C and me feel better about our work!); the writing is on the back side. It was likely done with a wide white chalk marker, as I can see three lines around the zeroes to make one number.
I don't think the worker standing there is making the marks, but rather handling the carpet. It's an interesting place in production sequence to be installing carpet at this station on the body track (what MG called the production lines; the track in the foreground is the chassis track).

Simon, behind this there's a guy working on what looks to be exhaust systems and a stack of silencers/pipes. You could've asked him about your install!

The 2nd J2 behind the 00 car is where bonnets are fitted. You can see the process - the top bonnet panels are fitted first (there's a blurry guy leaning against the car), then the side panels go on.

Did anyone notice all the stuff stored on the upper deck? Sedan bodies towards the back. It's easy to see the offload location for tubs/bodies to be lowered, and the hoist is empty at this point.

Completed chassis can be seen in the back, probably queued to go down the body track.

Front of the picture on the right - there are wooden lockers with J1 and F on the doors. Wonder what goodies were stored in these during the J1/F production days? Wonder what was in them when the photo was taken.

So many interesting things to see . . .

Tom Wilson
Zionsville, IN USA
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5944 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2017 :  01:26:13  Show Profile
Tom,

You've obviously spent far too long over Christmas scrutinising this picture! I suspect your version is of higher resolution than the one we can download from this site. Have you any idea what the 'O O' on the back of the carpet means?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

TCTom

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2017 :  13:39:55  Show Profile
I don't know the secret code to decipher what the 'O O' means. There are 3 or 4 marks - one could be hidden by the sleeve, but it wouldn't be as tall as the others. The '1' on the left is likely a one, or perhaps an alphabet character - L maybe?
That's it! 'LOO' - it's where he had to go!

Tom Wilson
Zionsville, IN USA
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1849 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2017 :  13:53:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sam christie

And changed his hair colour?

Sam

The chap has a large bald patch which makes it white from the back and as he moved his head you see the black of his hair; only one chap and movement captured.

I suggest this was not on purpose but the general level of lighting would not be good by modern standards and the speed of films at the time limited. Together with a relatively small aperture dictated by the need for a good depth of field and lens design limitations this would necessitate a relatively long exposure, thus capturing any movement.

Goodness knows what the "O O" is though!
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2017 :  14:15:04  Show Profile
Being new to MMM, but familiar with other makes of the era, could the 00 markings be for pedal apertures ? The first 0 to me looks a tad twisted in this view, could the two 0s actually be the same size if stretched out and photographed straight on.

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2017 :  14:56:26  Show Profile
Tonneau cutouts to see instruments?

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2017 :  15:04:46  Show Profile
Licensed to kill perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5944 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2017 :  15:12:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mgmog

Tonneau cutouts to see instruments?

The J2 was not offered with a full length tonneau cover (although presumably someone could have ordered one specially).

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2017 :  15:21:38  Show Profile
Sealant for stitching ? Rubber cement?

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2017 :  15:36:03  Show Profile
I think the chap in the white coat standing behind the other man who is doing something to the car could be the same person who is standing on the extreme right in the assembled group photo provided by Dave and is likely to be the shop foreman.

Chris.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000