Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 in France
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MH

Germany
199 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2017 :  22:37:33  Show Profile
Known in the register?
https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1349167689.htm?ca=12_s

Regards
Manfred

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3668 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2017 :  10:22:08  Show Profile
It's just possible that this may be J2745, but that's only because of its past association with Jacques Potherat. Our J2 registrar (John Emmett) may know more about the car from his files, but J2745 was certainly in France with a certain M. Gomez when the record was last changed, but that was MANY a year ago!

I have sent a message to the vendor and await more info!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2017 :  11:37:05  Show Profile
In 75 years of The J2 it says no news of J2745 though an active early life. Jacques last J2 was J3716 with a lot of pre war French race history ,a car that was the proverbial barn find. When I saw it at some vscc events a few years ago it looked like it had never been touched since it's pre war days

Edited by - O.Thomas on 26/12/2017 11:39:08
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3041 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2017 :  12:27:12  Show Profile
It probably goes quite well with its Ford Ten engine and an Aquaplane cylinder head.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3668 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2017 :  14:51:55  Show Profile
The seller advises that this car is J2888 - we will follow up for more info!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Blithe Spirit

United Kingdom
184 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2017 :  18:28:28  Show Profile
Hi Sam, your judgement of the "engine transplant" is correct. When I acquired my J3, J3768, in 1983 it still had the Aquaplane engine installed by Mr Keay of Bedford in 1958. I ran it like that for about 6 years and it made a terrific autotest car, competing with modern midgets in regional competition. However, upon winning at MG Silverstone the then triple M committee had a hissing fit and banned me from register events. This spurred me to build up a correct J3 engine over the next couple of years, and I then got to play with VSCC as well as MG people - so I can't complain about their decision.
However, as a significant piece of J2 history, perhaps at least one period Aquaplane Ford conversion should be preserved? Discuss!

regards,
David
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5945 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2017 :  19:06:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blithe Spirit

However, upon winning at MG Silverstone the then triple M committee had a hissing fit and banned me from register events.

If I'm not mistaken, the absence of a correct Triple-M engine has always resulted in a car being excluded from Register events so I think it's a little unfair to accuse the Committee at the time of having 'a hissing fit' and banning you. A car with a Ford engine was never eligible so therefore couldn't be banned.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2017 :  20:50:05  Show Profile
Surely cars with foreign engines were never “excluded from Register events”, but merely from competing for the Register’s trophies?
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5945 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2017 :  21:33:45  Show Profile
You're probably right, Cat, but the point I was making is still the same - you can't be banned if you're not eligible in the first place!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  20:04:51  Show Profile
...but it's the taking part, isn't it?

I would probably feel a little sMuG with my MG engined J2 but nevertheless very happy to be competing with ("beaten by" I think is more correct) turbocharged Subaru-engined J2s if their owners were keen enough to enter.
They don't get the trophies anyway, and if we aren't too snooty they might even feel encouraged to get hold of a genuine engine in due course.
The more the merrier!

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  17:35:51  Show Profile
In his book "Histoires d'automobilistes", Jacques Potherat recalls buying in England then importing in France his first J2, with Ford Ten engine and hydraulic brakes. Registration was OJ 6714, and nickname Napoleon. It was sometime in the 60's. Could it be this car ?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000