Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Oil pipe /F Type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Adrian Moore

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  20:05:18  Show Profile
I’m looking for the main oil pipe that comes from the sump
Filter

Adrian Moore

PeterL

United Kingdom
1703 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  20:07:30  Show Profile
I have an old original but it was unsatisfactory and Foz equipped me with a new modified one. You might like to contact him but if you really want an original then talk to me.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  22:54:29  Show Profile
Hi Adrian,
about to make one for another F engine so can do 2 !Give me a call.
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  00:29:55  Show Profile
Foz,
Now that you are backing away from the oil pipe business, how about a nice article about how they are made? Maybe a good write-up for the yearbook or bulletin. I have tried numerous times and either get kinks or flat spots from the pipe bender, despite annealing and filling with sand.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  14:45:47  Show Profile
Hi Lew,
Tut Tut ! asking for trade secrets......! if I tell ... no one will take it on from me ! Seriousely,I intend to continue to do oil pipes, stub axles and clutch conversions for a time and a few other things I choose to do but not the big car rebuilds... past crawling under and over... nice warm workshop and a bench.... was even given a set of workshop wine coasters for Christmas.
I am working through the backlog of engines I had promised.... that I enjoy... and still need a few bob in the till to go out on the track with the Rat.
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moore

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  14:48:00  Show Profile
Now sorted
Thank you gentlemen !

Adrian Moore
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  15:01:41  Show Profile
Fair enough.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  15:27:58  Show Profile
No one would understand the vice Barry-))
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  18:37:01  Show Profile
Oliver,
hope you are not referring to the red wine on the coasters being my vice ! but the big metal one with all the jig point markings on it............
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  19:28:47  Show Profile
The big metal one!
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2018 :  22:39:03  Show Profile
Lew, You could try filling with melted lead , when finished bending just reheat and lead comes out , I believe there’s a commercial product that does the same thing.
Barry hope I haven’t given away a trade secret.
Go to Top of Page

Hamish McNinch

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  17:42:49  Show Profile
Lew,

I’m lucky enough to know Barry’s trade secret. So I’m going to share it here and to hell with the consequences....

Barry doesn’t use lead. And Oliver Richardson’s reference to the vice is just a diversion technique.

Barry uses skill. And experimentation. And patience. And practice. So all you need to do is to use same things and you will find that you can make pipes just as good as the ones he makes. If you are willing to put the time and effort in, it won’t take you any longer than it took him - about 40 years should do it.....

#128521;

Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  20:57:22  Show Profile
Now I’m intrigued, when I was an engineering apprentice, one of the jobs was to bend up some difficult pipes similar to the oil pipes mentioned.
As no one is going to be poaching this work , can’t we have the details, otherwise I’ll not get any sleep trying to think how they’re done.
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2018 :  06:39:37  Show Profile
The filling that used to be available was called "Loy" metal....... heard of it but never used it....I understand you melted it probably on a primus stove or nice paraffin blow torch and poured it in..... bent the tube and then put it in boiling water to melt the Loy out....... sounds too easy !
Will keep sand bagging on the real way........but starting to have difficulty following this thread as it is split 2 ways with the one in General Info about F-type engines,
FOZ getting a bit Fuzzy !
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
936 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2018 :  07:37:41  Show Profile
I think the alloy Foz is 'remembering' is Woods Metal, which melts at 70degC (currently around £35 per Kg). It can also be used in investment casting.

There are others, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusible_alloy

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000