Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P type luggage rack
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  10:06:40  Show Profile
I am considering buying an 'over the fuel tank' type luggage rack for my PB. However, I'm not sure if it would interfere with use of the PB style filler cap when luggage is loaded.
Has anyone experience of use on a PB?

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  11:12:12  Show Profile
Terry,

Another option is the folding rack that Paul Ireland used to (may still?) make. See http://ttypes.org/ttt2/ta-tb-tc-two-seater-pa-pb-and-na-luggage-racks

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  11:15:33  Show Profile
Hi Terry, we have one for the PB, although I think a custom job. I ll send over a pick on Friday when back. Don't remember it getting in the way of fuel cap.

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Edited by - Dolts on 08/03/2018 11:16:48
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  12:11:00  Show Profile
Thanks for you suggestion Simon, I'll follow that up. I am also considering a big waterproof bag attached to the spare wheel similar to the one you have posted previously.

Mark, I look forward to seeing your pic in due course.

Regards, Terry.
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  07:58:33  Show Profile
Terry not sure how much these help. The rack attaches to the body on the tank strap bolts. Raised so it clears the filler cap, so it can be accessed. Clearly a bag would need to be moved to fill up though!
Side mount bars that run down to chassis.

Not been on for a while!! If I can find a pic of it in action I will send!

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  09:20:14  Show Profile
I have one of metal Mickey‘s luggage racks and the petrol cap Is a flip up Bonora type - not quite the same as the PB though.

I have no problem flipping the lid up to get fuel in.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  09:26:37  Show Profile
Thanks, Mark.
Your pic shows you have a PA dog bone filler cap, however, my question related to the use of a PB flip-top type of cap. I would guess the dog bone requires less vertical clearance than the flip-top.
Regards, Terry.
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  09:38:07  Show Profile
Dick, we must have been posting at the same time, and I have just seen your response. Whilst the flip-top PB cap is not quite the same as what you have they must be very close I would think, so that sorts out my dilema, thanks.
Apart from blocking scuttle mounted rear view mirror use when loaded have you experienced any other downsides?
Regards, Terry.
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  09:47:42  Show Profile
Never had any issues with it, running with hood up and down no probs. We had this on the car when we did the Three Castles Rally, over 4 days, back in 2007. Must say I don't think we even noticed it!!

I run with near and offside side mirrors, that I added for racing. (not very period but they work even with hood, stolen from a VW camper van!). Great all round visibility. I don't really use the centre mirror much as i tend to block the view!

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Edited by - Dolts on 09/03/2018 09:57:42
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  10:23:33  Show Profile
Terry - rather like Mark I find the centre mirror pretty ineffective and rely on side mirrors.

Never experienced any difficulty from the use of a luggage rack - in fact it has other uses as you can fix a LED light array onto it to ward off encroaching vehicles!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1546 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  13:56:10  Show Profile
Terry,
Along the lines of the Paul Ireland rear-of-the-spare-wheel rack, have a look at the late Paul Duncombe's rack on his s/c PA - a good solution:

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  14:38:47  Show Profile
One issue surely with racks like Paul's is that you potentially have quite a lot weight some distance aft of the axle which may not do handling much good? Particularly his rather smart trunk arrangement.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  15:31:56  Show Profile
Good for wheelie's

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  17:31:05  Show Profile
Yes, a high luggage rack can block rearward vision!

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Tony Dolton

United Kingdom
370 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  22:40:49  Show Profile
When I acquired the luggage rack shown on Mark's PB I was told it was made for a TA.
Could be nonsense so not much help.it requires 2" long brackets to attach it to the rear of the bodywork.Tony
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  23:49:25  Show Profile
Wasn't nonsense , was me that loaned it to you and it was off my TC. Was fitted when my Dad bought the car in the early 60s . I took it off when I rebuilt the car .
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000