Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 R. R. Willis?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  06:57:57  Show Profile
As my moniker may suggest, I have a foot in two camps. Whilst chatting with a pal about some Austin racing history, he made reference to a chap who at some time drove an MG. I said I would ask the knowledgeable folk in this forum if they could shed any light. He asks:

Can anyone assist in my search for information about R. R. Willis. "The Light Car" reports him as competing with a supercharged 747 cc MG at Dancers End in May 1939. He does not appear in the programme of that meeting but that is not unusual; Dancers End was, by all accounts, delightfully informal. I know of Mr Willis as an erstwhile Austin 7 Ulster owner and a client of Williams of Auto Conversions, who built an offset monoposto supercharged Austin 7 for him in 1938. I know that he resided at 66, Burlington Avenue, Kew and that's about it.

Can anyone tell me more?

On his behalf, thanks in advance for any light anyone might shed.

So many dynamos

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  17:43:00  Show Profile
Could this be the same fellow, Hugh?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photographic-Print-Major-Willis-recipient/dp/B073Y9JNM5

And mentioned here:
https://www.haileybury.com/medals/staff.htm

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

Edited by - LewPalmer on 09/03/2018 17:45:49
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2018 :  22:35:38  Show Profile
I think Lew's suggestion is probably too old.

Possibly Reginald Robert Willis, born Jan 10 1905 in Hampton, Middx. Son of a baker. On the 1911 Census in Twickenham. Married Grace Hettie Phaup in Windsor, 1929. Died Richmond 1989.

I've found a couple of other candidates on Ancestry, both of them called Robert Willis. One born Sep 10 1904, death registered in Surrey North 1979 Q4, the other Jun 14 1909, death also registered in Surrey North July 1984. One of them married a Dorothy Davis in Lambeth in 1939 and post-WW2 lived at various South London addresses, the other married a Sylvia Warner in Lambeth in 1949. Without certificates impossible to tell which is which!
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  08:17:13  Show Profile
I was just about to reply saying my pal and I thought Lew's suggestion would have meant the driver would be too old, but thanks Lew.. I wondered whether a s/c 747cc car would mean a C Type? (revealing potential ignorance here...)

Thanks for the sluthing Vitesse - I'll report back to my pal and see if any synapses click into place..

In the meantime, does the possible car identity give any clues?

So many dynamos

Edited by - Orstin on 11/03/2018 08:19:18
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  09:37:17  Show Profile
And we now have an entry for a Mr Willis in the HCA&AC Beechwood Speed Trial, Markyate 25/6/39 in an unidentified 750cc MG... Just if that jogs any memories....

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  11:06:28  Show Profile
By 1939 I fear it can be anything from a C to an R or even a more standard Midget with a 750cc engine installed. The name does not appear in the Hawke History’s index which basically means none of the compilers of the HH have ever come across this Mr Willis in entry lists, results or period magazine reports. Until now anyway ...
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  12:27:05  Show Profile
We are beginning to tease out clues. You never know what tiny little nudges move you onto another track of enquiry which turns up an answer..

Having chatted with my pal this morning, he has decided to pursue Reginald Robert Willis in the first instance - based on at least we have the right Initials. Also the maiden name of his wife, Phaup, which gives further lines or research as is a rarity indeed. Apparently there is a published history of the Phaup family which he is on the track of. The Richmond link may also be a connection to Cambridge Engineering - however tenuous...

Reference to Markyate brought this comment - However, RRW's entry at Markyate is a point I had not considered. This was the second year of this particular event. Entry details for 1938 are harder to come by but 1939 should be ok. Is it possible to confirm that the MG was supercharged? I say it was only because it was entered at Dancers End in the 1100 or up to 850 s/c class. A confirmation would be helpful.

He asks I should say thanks to all for the input...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  12:57:25  Show Profile
Sorry, skipped a whole column when I checked the HH index. Willis is in fact listed.
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  08:10:08  Show Profile
Thanks Cat. Presumably the entries show the Dancers End and Markyate events. Do they show anything else that might add anything to the search for clues?

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000