Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Two door hinges
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  14:17:00  Show Profile
Having acquired two good condition door hinges from a fellow Triple M’er (photo attached) I am looking for another pair to enable me to replace the existing hinges which are much the worse for wear.
The sizes required are 92mm by 39mm.
Thank you for looking.
Malcolm

paul55

Luxembourg
728 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  16:16:41  Show Profile
Malcolm, if its the pin that's worn making the hinge all loose, can't you just screw the worn hinges to a piece of wood with the pin holes aligned, then drill through with a slightly larger hole. Then get a couple of new pins made to suit? But I guess that it depends how bad they are worn to start with though for this to work. Just an idea.
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  18:57:57  Show Profile
Thanks Paul, for your suggestion. Unfortunately the wear on my present hinges is on the edges of the knuckle. They are very worn requiring several washers to be inserted to take up the slack. They work but don’t look pretty.
I am hoping that someone has a pair in the bottom of a storage drawer?
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2483 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  19:38:18  Show Profile
Malcolm an unopened S&V set. Catalogue says not available for NA/NB but doesn't mention ND. If you look carefully you will see you have to drill & countersink and cut to length, and of course have plated. In my rather old price list £84; yours for £50 plus carriage.

Alternatively, Wheatley & Morgan in The Restoration of Vintage & Thoroughbred Cars, suggest as does Paul and then "If the knuckles are worn they can be filed flat then built up with pieces of sheet brass, brazed in position, and then all the knuckles filed for a perfect fit".

Cheers,

Dave

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  22:24:46  Show Profile
Hi Dave,
I’ll pass on the offer of your new hinges but will look further into having the best two of my existing hinges rebuilt with brass brazing. That is unless anyone else has a couple good ones spare.
Thanks for your input Dave
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
345 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2018 :  08:20:11  Show Profile
Malcolm
I have these in my spares boxes, the black pair are very near the size you are looking for, reasonably tight. Send me an email to verrill1(ar)aol(dot)com

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2018 :  09:40:15  Show Profile
Email sent Richard, many thanks
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom