Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Vehicles of Historic Interest
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2018 :  22:50:38  Show Profile
The Department for Transport have now issued guidelines on the new rules for vehicle testing as they apply in GB and have also clarified the meaning of 'substantial change' in the context of Vehicles of Historic Interest. The Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs have produced an Addendum to their January 2018 Newsletter which explains all this - see http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/members-pages/newsletter-archive/_file/273/fbhvcnews012018addendum-pdf/

Simon J
J3437

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2018 :  23:52:46  Show Profile
Simon,

The link does not work for me, is it correct?

Peter

I have just tried again and the link has worked this time, so it is correct

Edited by - Peter Green on 16/03/2018 00:02:01
Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2018 :  16:38:25  Show Profile
what does this mean in layman terms...does it mean everything stays as it is with the exception of historic cars that have been drastically changed.....how would an L1 to L2 rebody be classed

(I may not be a clever man but I know someone who is)

Edited by - Russ Jackson on 16/03/2018 16:41:22
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2018 :  17:29:32  Show Profile
Why not read it, Russ, rather than ask others to do it for you?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2018 :  10:27:57  Show Profile
What this means for me is that as from 1st May 2018 my 1973 MGB GT V8, being over 40 years old, will not require an MOT provided I declare it a Vehicle of Historic interest.

As Simon notes the full details can be found on the link he has posted.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Tony Dolton

United Kingdom
370 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2018 :  10:31:10  Show Profile
Peter,
I have yr initial problem,can't download the ref.probably'cos I only have a cheap little tablet.
It would indeed be helpful if someone could kindly summarize the facts in a few words for the benefit of those whose cars are classified as historic.
By the way what is the definition of historic with ref to MMM cars.thanks Tony.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2018 :  11:11:46  Show Profile
I really do suggest that folks who have an interest take the trouble to download and read the document. The misunderstanding over the term 'historic' simply underlines this.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2018 :  11:13:12  Show Profile
I like the definition of a vehicle of historic interest -

Section 7 ........ definition of vehicles of historic interest...
‘vehicle of historical interest’ means a vehicle which is considered to be of historical interest....

Impressive.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3339 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2018 :  11:36:32  Show Profile
Particularly for those who cannot download the relevant document, I have added the relevant section to "Document downloads | Technical | Miscellaneous | Roadworthiness Testing"
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2018 :  11:38:53  Show Profile
Sam,

Your selective quoting is unfair as you have omitted the subsequent text which puts the section you have quoted in context, viz
... of historical interest to Great Britain and which
- was manufactured or registered for the first time at least 40 years previously;
- is of a type no longer in production; and
- has been historically preserved or maintained in
its original state and has not undergone substantial changes in the technical characteristics of its main components.’
The exception is the choice of forty, not thirty, years as the time limit for exemption. This is chosen generally to reflect the age that a vehicle requires to be to become entitled to ‘historic’ class Vehicle Excise Duty status.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 17/03/2018 11:39:22
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2018 :  13:31:32  Show Profile
I think the wording "vehicle of historical interest" is instantly confusing.

To most people finding something of 'interest' is a personal matter. One instantly wonders "of historic interest to whom?" To be fair Simon as you point out the authorities go on to give a new definition of the word 'interest'.

I am still reading, so these these instant selective observations may prove naïve but -

A vehicle of historic interest is defined is one which is-

".. of historical interest to Great Britain" What about the rest of the UK?

"- is of a type no longer in production.." so are Morgans are excluded?

" has been historically preserved or maintained in its original state and has not undergone substantial changes in the technical characteristics of its main components.
Where does "has not undergone substantial changes in the technical characteristics of its main components" put an MG with a Phoenix crank and rods, modern oil seals, a Volumex supercharger, electronic ignition and hydraulic brakes?

Fully confessing that I have not fully read (let alone understood) the legislation on superficial reading it seems to contain much which will need to be arbitrated. I have not yet detected who the arbitrators will be or by what qualification. No doubt the lawyers will help decide.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 17/03/2018 13:42:10
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2018 :  13:55:06  Show Profile
Sam,

You really should read the whole document. The issue of substantial change is pretty comprehensively covered.

As to why it only extends to GB, vehicle testing is a devolved matter for Northern Ireland so the legislation only applies to GB. In the absence of a government in Northern Ireland the matter is somewhat in abeyance but as you will know from the recent communication from the Ulster Vintage Car Club a consultation document is due to be issued here shortly.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 17/03/2018 13:58:52
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2018 :  15:27:09  Show Profile
Thanks Simon. The text mentions both the UK and GB giving rise to my confusion but this will no doubt be resolved on re-reading.

Deciphering the legislation is not much fun and perhaps a condensed plain English Triple-M translation would make a much better read.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2018 :  15:52:42  Show Profile
Sam,

The reason for the references to the UK is probably that these are made by FBHVC. The official guidelines, naturally enough, get the terminology correct!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Tony Dolton

United Kingdom
370 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2018 :  16:13:48  Show Profile
As I first thought, all a load of bumf !!
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2018 :  16:17:27  Show Profile
The devil would appear to be in the detail (and whichever bit of the "adminisphere" is interpreting it): To someone who got out of bed the wrong side "has been historically preserved" could rule out anything "restored"......

JH
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000