Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Membership of the Forum and the Register
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3668 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2018 :  22:21:02  Show Profile
The Triple-M Register is part of the MG Car Club and our committee is often asked to explain what 'membership' of the Register means. It is increasingly evident that there is some misunderstanding on the matter!

Frankly we haven't helped ourselves by using the word 'Member' to describe those of us who have registered to join the website discussion forum. The word 'Subscriber' would probably be more appropriate.

With the aim of making things a little clearer, we're going to rename forum Members as 'Subscribers'. If you have registered to make postings to the Forum this change won't make any difference at all to your permitted use of the Forum. You won't have to re-apply and there is no implication that a subscriber will have to pay for this facility - you won't!

But it's easy to see why the whole member 'thing' is confusing to many. It is because of the way the MG Car Club is structured. It goes a bit like this:

1. If you are a member of the MG Car Club you pay an annual sub, and can enjoy all the benefits offered by membership of the Club. The acid test of whether you are a Club member is that members should receive a copy of the monthly Safety Fast! magazine.

2. MG Car Club members who also own a Triple-M car (assuming they have declared that to the Club) are automatically made members of the Club's Triple-M Register.

3. So I hear you ask: 'I'm not a member of the MG Car Club but I have a Triple-M car. Where does that leave me?' Well, the answer is that if you have told us that you have a Triple-M car, we will record your ownership on our listing of cars, assuming the car meets our criteria for inclusion on the listing. That is very important, because we need to record the condition and history of your car. So in that event, although the car is listed on the listing of cars, you as an individual are not a 'member' of the Register. Of course we would encourage you to join the rest of us who are Members of the MG Car Club!

Does this help to explain things? I hope so, but please contact me or a committee member if any of the above needs to be made clearer. Thanks!

Dick Morbey, Register Chairman

Edited by - DickMorbey on 24/04/2018 22:35:20

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5945 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2018 :  22:42:02  Show Profile
Dick,

The Club, i.e. the MG Car Club, doesn't help matters by defining a Register as an association of members owning specified models of vehicle, and then requiring Registers to keep a Register of eligible cars, which, of course, includes cars whose owners are not members of the MGCC and thus are not members of the Register. And that's even before we get to defining 'owning' a car!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2018 :  16:27:14  Show Profile
Simon,

Can you point me to the place where that definition of a Register appears, please. It's not on the current MGCC website Registers page.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3668 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2018 :  17:29:03  Show Profile
Malcolm, I think you'll find that it's in the Club's Articles of Association.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5945 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2018 :  18:03:29  Show Profile
Malcolm,

It's in Article 1 (Interpretation) of the Club's Articles of Association. Article 92 is where it's stated that the Registers shall provide where possible and appropriate 'The maintenance of a Register of eligible cars indicating history and other relevant details'.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 25/04/2018 18:09:16
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3314 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2018 :  18:59:07  Show Profile
Simon
A perfect example of the confusion that this (small change) is attempting to circumvent; Article 92.2 "An advisory service to members .............". I assume the article is referring to members the MGCC?
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5945 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2018 :  19:59:12  Show Profile
Nick,

It's an advisory service to Members, not members, and 'Members' are defined thus:

(The reference to 'member' in Article 78 is in relation to CRB committee members.)

Simon J
J3437
P.S. If you go to the document properties of the pdf file for the Articles of Association you'll find the author credited as one Richard Morbey(Who he? )

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 25/04/2018 20:03:21
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3668 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2018 :  21:50:39  Show Profile
It was a team effort!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5945 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2018 :  22:02:05  Show Profile
Excuses, excuses!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3314 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2018 :  00:34:22  Show Profile
I rest our case!
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1850 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2018 :  10:30:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DickMorbey

It was a team effort!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

I understand the camel was also the result of such an effort, but by a different team.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2018 :  17:13:57  Show Profile
Thanks for the clarification, Gents. It couldn't be more formal, could it?! The problem is that "register" has different meanings, depending on the context.

Dick, is it still the case that members of an affiliated overseas club are also accorded register services as if they are members of the home Club? In the interests of international relations, an edit to your original posting on these lines might help prevent our loyal international members from feeling out in the cold.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3201 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2018 :  18:16:54  Show Profile
That is true, Malcolm. However, even though members of the national register - in our case the North American Triple-M Register, the one thing necessary to complete the process is that the national register needed to become a recognized affiliate of the MGCC and the Triple-M Register. No one here recognized that until Dick Morbey kindly pointed that out to our chairman.

Thanks for the discussion.
Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
751 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2018 :  12:46:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by coracle

quote:
Originally posted by DickMorbey

It was a team effort!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

I understand the camel was also the result of such an effort, but by a different team.

and the giraffe!

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1850 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2018 :  15:36:12  Show Profile
No; the giraffe was the result of a committee!
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3668 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2018 :  21:08:01  Show Profile
I have just stumbled upon Malcolms posting at 26 April and I’m happy to confirm that anybody who is a member of an overseas Club that is affiliated to the MG Car Club is very much regarded as a Member for our purposes. Sorry for the delay in replying.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000