Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 The General Data Protection Regulations
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2018 :  10:33:05  Show Profile
Important announcement!

The Triple-M Register committee would like you to know what it doing to meet the requirements of the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), which become effective in the UK and across the EU on 25 May.

This will not be news for those of you who live in the UK, because you have probably already been bombarded by requests from numerous third parties asking you to update your profile with them and in some cases asking you specifically to opt in to receive future communications from them, or remain on their contact lists.

The reason for this is that the GDPR will impose tighter controls on the way in which organisations and others hold and manage what is called 'personal data' of living individuals.

The Triple-M Register is part of the MG Car Club, so we operate under the umbrella of an existing registration the Club has under the present Data Protection Act.

The Register is currently awaiting guidance from the Club as to precisely what our response should be and what changes we need to make to our existing procedures when the GDPR takes effect.

We believe that the Club and our Register can be said to operate under the principle of what is known as 'legitimate interests'. The Club is primarily a not for profit organisation and our purpose - our 'legitimate interests' are to support Club Members and the Register community generally by maintaining a continuous history of Triple-M cars and particularly those that have survived. The cars themselves are not data subjects, but anybody who is identifiable as a current owner of them is a data subject. So too is anybody else whose name is recorded on our register as a former owner.

Once we have received guidance from the main Club the Register will publish a formal statement of our GDPR policy and principles and this will be available at an appropriate juncture on our website and in other publications. It will set out in broad terms what personal data the Register holds, why we hold it, what we do with it and the arrangements we have in place to ensure the security and privacy of that data.

We will also be contacting everyone whom we believe may hold or process personal data relevant to the Register that falls within the ambit of the GDPR, to ascertain the basis on which they do so. The contacts will include:

- Our own committee
- Our Registrars
- Event organisers
- People who hold subscription lists
- Others

The GDPR's aim is, quite rightly, the safeguarding of individuals' rights to have their personal data correctly and securely recorded and the right to privacy where they so wish.

The Register's aim is that we should apply the Regulations responsibly and proportionately and in a way that should not undermine the 'legitimate interests' principle under which we operate.

The GDPR provisions are complex but we believe that, sensibly managed, they could improve the quality of the personal data we hold and this will be to the general benefit of current and future owners of Triple-M cars.

Dick Morbey
Register Chairman

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2018 :  23:45:00  Show Profile
Dick, EU or not, I still find it quite bizarre that, having provided you with a scanned copy of my buff log book I am not, even when password protected, permitted to view this scanning on the web site except in consultation with the committee. Of course I don't need to, having the original and equally, when finally the car passes to another keeper, so will the log book so he or she will not need to but, what is so private about a scanned copy of a document that I provided The Register with in the first place?

I am in wholehearted agreement with the aims of data protection legislation but this is not the first example I have come across where the actual operation seems frankly weird!

Happy days,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2018 :  09:31:23  Show Profile
Hello Dave and thanks for your posting. I understand entirely!

When the committee set about configuring the database we had to decide what to do about documents and other resources that contain the names of individuals who, if they are still living, are 'data subjects'. Photographic copies of logbooks which we hold securely within the database, where they can be viewed by the registrar/s and the administrator, potentially fell into this category and, bizarre though it may sound, we decided that such documents should not be AUTOMATICALLY viewable by others, including current owners.

However we are and always will be happy to review and discuss with the current owner any information about a car that we hold in our records.

I'm sure you can understand that when setting up procedures like this it's difficult to cater for every possible eventuality, so if we have erred on the side of caution I hope people can understand that. But the door is always open for a conversation anyway!

Hope this helps.

(Edited to correct a typo)

Edited by - DickMorbey on 24/05/2018 09:32:09
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5998 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2018 :  09:39:34  Show Profile
If access to the data that is held electronically in the data base is so tightly controlled, what exactly is the point of the exercise?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2018 :  10:08:26  Show Profile
Stolen from another forum

A – “Do you know of a good GDPR consultant?”
B – “Yes!”
A – “Great. Can I have his email address?”
B – “No”

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
447 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2020 :  18:32:27  Show Profile
I always thought that for most people this GDPR business is just a d**** nuisance in many instances.It doesn't seem to stop unwanted phone calls and emails. It used to be so useful when car clubs were able to print off membership booklets like those I still have for the VSCC, Vintage Austin register and so on. If people don't want to be contacted by fellow club members they can say so. Simon C.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2020 :  10:44:49  Show Profile
I think Simon that, like so many of these regulations brought in to "protect" us all, and brought in in good faith, they do nothing whatsoever to stop the nasty people, they merely make life more difficult for the rest of us. Think car number plates; money laundering etc.

Frustrated Dave
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2020 :  15:31:19  Show Profile
You got rid of the "Boys from Brussels", Now go back and do your own thing. That was the point, wasn't it?

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000