Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 20 mm galvanized steel conduit
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2018 :  17:17:18  Show Profile
Dear Forum:

Am looking for 1-2 meters of 20 mm flexible galvanized steel conduit.
Is available in 10 meter lengths from electrical factors.
So 10 meters is a lifetime supply.
Any know stockists of short lengths, please.
All the best.

John Bakewell

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2138 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2018 :  18:56:47  Show Profile
Hi John

The original was 7/8th inch dia although is no longer available.However, I have recently bought a reel off 1 inch dia as I needed some for my own restoration projects. I specifically sourced 1 inch as when using with indicator conversion wiring, the loom will pass through the conduit. It is a major squeeze when using the 7/8th inch and possibly too tight for the loom.

I have turned up a pair of brass ferrules for the first length although I am currently in the process of awaiting metal spun ferrules being made to then offer flexible conduit to customers in 21 inch lengths

Happy for you to email me direct at enquiries@vintagemgparts.com

I also have a quantity of two smaller dia sizes of new old stock flexible conduit although less than 7/8th and whichI am happy to sell in lengths and with no ferrel ends.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 17/05/2018 18:59:37
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1543 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2018 :  10:42:26  Show Profile
John,
This company might be helpful: http://www.flexa.de/index.php?pid=4669&lid=3

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2018 :  15:30:20  Show Profile
Bruce and Richard:

Thank-you for your comments.Will follow these up.
Must be a solution to issue.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

mjb

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2018 :  17:30:44  Show Profile
John,
Try Fiennes Restoration Ltd I'm sure they can help you with both the conduit and the brass ferrules. tel. 01367 810438 / www.fiennes.co.uk

Cheers,
Mike

mike bradbury
Go to Top of Page

mjb

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2018 :  17:40:48  Show Profile
John,
Fienees website ,look for electrical and wipers/ chassis wiring/parts LA050 and LA110.

Cheers,
Mike.

mike bradbury
Go to Top of Page

pbryan

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2018 :  09:32:49  Show Profile
Where is the conduit meant to be run between, as I don’t seem to have any on my PA

The state of the wiring is awful and I am thinking of starting again

What would a conduit kit for whole be comprised of? Bore and lengrh

Edited by - pbryan on 22/05/2018 09:35:57
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2018 :  15:04:44  Show Profile
The document here: http://www.triple-mregister.org/uploads/retro/p%20type%20chassis%20details.pdf
should answer the question of where the conduit is run.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2494 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2018 :  15:45:32  Show Profile
Paul, in addition to the drawing Lew has pointed out, there is small bore flexi conduit where the loom comes out of the chassis at the front and passes into the front wing stays and again, where it comes out of the rad tie/headlamp mounting brackets I think you will find it should run in a conduit to the headlamps themselves.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

pbryan

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2018 :  07:45:14  Show Profile
Thanks for the update.

In the PDF, where does the conduit attached to the firewall and starts at the fuse box finish?

Dave, do you know what diameter is used to the headlights? Would you have a picture of the conduit into the headlamp shell?

Is conduit used to get cables from the left hand part of the chassis over to the right hand part of the chassis and which route does it take to get from left to right, is it over the dumbbell?

TIA for all your help

Regards
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2494 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2018 :  19:55:09  Show Profile
Hi Paul,

To take your points in order, the conduit running down the firewall from the fuse box then runs forward inside the chassis rail. This of course then means that that part of the loom going to the back of the car has to double back on itself.

As to diameter required for the headlamps etc, I'm afraid, having not fitted these myself I have no idea; I would suggest choosing the smallest one that the cables will COMFORTABLY pass through. Because of modern requirements like flashers, double dipping headlamps etc, this will be larger than original.

I cannot show close ups of the conduit, but this may help? Apologies for the quality; the resolution was not really good enough for this size!

The loom passes N/S to O/S along the chassis tube immediately behind the brake cross shaft and is merely clipped to that tube. The principal is that conduit is used where the cables are exposed to damage and here they are protected by the undertray.

One of the reasons I did not use any at the two points shown in the photo was that the radius of turn needed was beyond the conduit I could get. I think that supplied by the firm in Germany that Bruce mentioned will go to a suitable radius, but in my case, the hassle of doing it now on my car which is on the road puts me off!

If you choose to use the German stuff I for one would be pleased to hear how you get on. Good luck.

Cheers,

Dave

Go to Top of Page

pbryan

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2018 :  11:04:20  Show Profile
Dave

Thanks for the update, and the pic really helps as well

One last question, cabin side of the firewall, is the cable run in conduit as well? Also how is it suspended and run through the metal body coming down from the scuttle?

Regard
Paul
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000