Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 WH5618
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2018 :  18:44:57  Show Profile
Dear All

Out in the F the other day I was stopped by a gentleman who confessed to learning to drive in a P Type.

He sent me this photo and says: Photo of PA from 1962 up on Exmoor taken by my Mum who bravely accompanied me up Porlock Hill. Car is a bit of a mish mash with, along with other aberrations, Dellow wings. Nevertheless I passed my test in it – in Leicester of all places as that was the nearest centre to Loughborough where I was in college at the time.

My copy of the register is not to hand, is the car still with us?

Cheers

P

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2018 :  19:48:07  Show Profile
It's PA0275 of which, alas, there has been no trace from that day to this.

Within the constraints of the GDPR and all that, could you please prevail on the gentleman to contact me with the oaim of obtaining just a little more info?

Thanks!
Dick M
(PA Registrar etc)
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2018 :  19:58:29  Show Profile
John Joynes and I are going over to see him in John's P Type in the near future.

We will glean what we can.

I heard of a dormant P Type in the Axminster area, that was a few years ago, mind...

Best wishes

P
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2018 :  21:48:14  Show Profile
Thanks Peter

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  16:44:05  Show Profile
And another photo...

Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  18:01:07  Show Profile
Now that's a coincidence: for forty years or more I've had a pile of old timber body parts that I bought in Glossop (if I remember correctly) and only this month I've established that they came from PA0275.

The number stamped on the woodwork is 42 which I believe is body number 124/42 which was originally fitted to this car.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  18:56:59  Show Profile
Brian, you are correct about the body numbering. Peter, were you able to glean any more information, narrative or pictures from this former owner. And it would be good to be able to add his name to the recorded history of this car, because we know nowt about its existence since Mr L J Brown of Rainham, Kent in 1934!

If you'd rather not reveal details publicly, would you be able to contact me off line about this?

Thanks
Dick
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  22:10:11  Show Profile
I am planning to see him again at the end of Feb. I don't think there is any problem about divulging but I should ask first.

Brian can you tell us anything more about where the body parts came from, the result of someone rebuilding the car or from a junkyard or... I can feed that back in when I see the old owner.

Cheers

P

Edited by - PeterL on 20/01/2019 22:23:57
Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  13:27:39  Show Profile
Peter,

Just realised that as I replied direct to you no-one else can see what I had to say - a practice that I find irritating so the least I can do is mend my own ways here in case anyone else is interested or can pick up the trail.

As I said in my e-mail, I'm as sure as I can be at this distance in time that the body was bought in Glossop. However, I know from my records that it was definitely in April 1977. Unfortunately, I can't find my diary for 1977 to see if I'd written anything else about the purchase. By the time I saw the body it had been dismantled. The chap I bought the parts from was a MMM enthusiast but wasn't rebuilding PA0275, as far as I could see. I don't know how he came by the body, I'm afraid.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  21:25:40  Show Profile
So... a MMMer in Glossop in 1977... anyone any ideas?

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2021 :  23:15:49  Show Profile
David Newbitt, for he was the previous owner in question, has sent me more info to go with the pictures etc previously forwarded.

Here is what he has written:

"My old MG was acquired at Loughborough in late 1961/early 1962 as a joint purchase with my Hall of Residence room-mate for £65. The previous owner was another of my college mates name of Roger Lawrence whose ’intended’ was putting her foot down in favour of something ‘sensible’! That proved to be a Morris Minor. Roger was a great guy from Leicester who was sponsored by his Leicester employers A. A. Jones and Shipman, precision machine tool manufacturers (especially grinders). The company is now Jones & Shipman Hardinge based near Rugby. Roger sadly is no longer with us.

So I shared ownership amicably enough with my room-mate Henry T Bourne who was studying Civil Engineering while Roger and I were on Aeronautical & Automobile Engineering. Henry was from Chiswick, he worked for Wimpey’s of White City Stadium/Heathrow Airport/Centre Point fame. His mother was Spanish, his father a senior figure in Wimpey Asphalt.

I passed my driving test in the car at Leicester despite the useless brakes (examiners were not enthusiastic about the use of the handbrake lever which generally gave better results!). I blew my first year exams and in a fine display of stupidity turned down the chance to re-sit the offending papers and headed off into the working world. The car had to be sold of course and I instead acquired a Triumph Herald 1200 convertible and a couple of years later a Spitfire MkII.

Henry managed to sell the car for £90 but sadly I don’t know to whom. Whilst we had it, apart from all the usual oil in the dynamo problems from the vertical drive I remember being mightily impressed at buying ‘off the shelf’ a replacement for a burnt out exhaust valve from Associated Engineering in nearby Nottingham.

Kind regards,

David"

So it seems to have gone on for another 15 year before ending its days dismantled and presumably sold off. But what about the chassis? Did it turn into special? But why have we not heard? Was it perhaps crashed? You never know, it might turn up yet.

Incidentally there is a P sans body in Leicester, for sale on eBay. I wonder what the chassis number is? Watch this space...

Cheers

P

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000