Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Where is Sutton Village.
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
698 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2018 :  10:01:34  Show Profile
Colin,
I have just rediscovered this photo on the Prewar Minor Network website. It has the following caption:
"UD 3166 is a 1929 MG Midget purchased new by a Mr. Michael Collier. The car and driver are seen here on Ranmore Common, near Dorking, Surrey while taking part in the 1930 running of the Junior Car Club’s ‘Half Day Trial’. The event was held during the afternoon of Saturday March 8th and was not without controversy. The Light Car (14th March 1930) reported that police were called as thoroughfares were blocked by queuing competitors resulting in a number of crews receiving official police cautions for causing an obstruction. According to the Triple M Register the car survives and is currently resident in the USA. (A Getty/Brunell image 624162834)"
It would appear to be another M type on the same rally as PN5022. I thought it might aid your research.
Keith

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2018 :  11:04:54  Show Profile
Hello Keith, the car is 2M0357 - current whereabouts n/k It was our cover picture for the 2015 Yearbook when driven by Michael Collier

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2018 :  11:15:21  Show Profile
Collier got a 1st

First-Class Awards :—R. L. Burnett (Riley), P. B. C. King (Salmson), H. C. Jacobs (Austin), A. L. Baker (Salmson), W. J. Howard (Bayliss Thomas), H. Metchim (Austin), S. F. Seyfried (Riley), H. C. Hunter (K.C. Austin), L. G. Bain (Aston Martin), E. A. Denton (M.G. Midget), A. P. Squire (Riley), G. Roberts (Riley), A. Issigonis (Austin), M. Collier (M.G. Midget), F. A. Thatcher (Triumph), H. W. Wells (Triumph), G. H. Goodson (M.G. Midget), R. Peaty (Singer), J. A. Lloyd (Standard),W. A. L. Cook (Austin), R. C. Player (Riley), W. K. Silk (Austin), A. H. Oxenford (Standard), L. A. Brook (Riley), K. S. Jarvis (Riley), S. A. Burnham (Salmson), D. E. M. Douglas Morris (Triumph), C. G. H. Dunham (M.G. Midget), Miss L. M. Roper (A.C.), G. E. Taylor (M.G. Midget), E. W. McNamara (Standard), Miss P. McOstrich (Alvis), J. Dick-Cleland (Austin), Mrs. M. Vaughan (Standard), R. S. Latham Boote (Lagonda), L, E. Drabble (Amilear), D. G. Evans (Chrysler), H. S. Stevens (Chrysler), J. R.. Laing (M.G. Six), D. Monro (Lagonda), F. H. Grain (Ford), B. G. Marriott (Morris-Oxford), S. R. Mitchell (Vauxhall), L. Baynes (Austin), G. F. Randall (Lagonda), A. S. Crowther (M.G. Six), M. H. Seymour (Humber), C. R. Salter (M.G. Six), ' Tim " Dexter (M.G.), H. S. Davidson (A.C.), G. W. Olive (Standard), G. M. Giles (Bugatti).

Second-Class Awards :—L. M. Oliver (Tracta), N. Johnson Ferguson (Salmson), H. P. A. Peaty (Riley), B. P. H. Jones (Talbot), S. D. Marr (Tracta), C. W. D. Chinery (Riley), T. H. Wisdom (Frazer Nash), C. Dugdale (Lea Francis), A. J. Reese (Tracta), Digby King (Talbot), J. Harvey (Alvis), R.. P. J. Morley (A.C.), Miss I. E. Ilasluck (A.C.), R.. H. Corbett (Ballot), L. R.. Woods (Morris-Oxford), C. Woolnough (Vauxhall).

No Awards :—W. L. Booty (Riley), II. P. Arkell (Vauxhall), G. E. Templer (Talbot), A. A. Pollard (A.C.).

Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2018 :  14:40:01  Show Profile
Dear Colin and Forum:

The Sutton hamlet photo of car appears in the Golden Age of British Motoring.
This is a wonderful book full of Bill Brunell photos.
The people, houses , period details and Cars!.

One point that has not been covered is the car registration.
The first part is not clear.
Not sure if one or two letters. ??
The numbers 6745 are fairly clear.

Maybe this small piece of the puzzle will help.
Or mean something to somebody.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2018 :  10:16:45  Show Profile
Thanks Keith, Kevin A and John B. I have come across a surprising number of photographs - all purporting to be taken on the JCC Half Day Trial in 1930, although I have a certain amount of doubt about some of them. In one, the car is parked next to what looks like a Bedfordshire County Council boundary post, whereas the 1930 Half Day trial went nowhere near Bedordshire. Another features an M Type on a hill captioned as being Hurtwood Hill, but my present information suggests that no such hill was used on the 1930 Half Day Trial. Ho, hum. I agree with you John, that the Roy Bacon Book is a marvellous record of motoring life as it was in a previous era. Unfortunately the credibility of the book is marred by some awful captioning, much of which is patently incorrect. Some years ago, a VSCC member listed about 80 foul-ups in this book, and I could have added a few more as well. The photographs are from the W J Brunell collection held by the Motoring Photographic Library at Beaulieu, and I have never been able to decide whether the captioning errors were due to the late Mr Brunell's record keeping or whether the National Motor Museum were the culprits. I am certainly "on the case" and it looks to me that when I have flogged the horse as far as I can go, it might end up as an article for a future MMM Bulletin.

In the meantime, any other thoughts and comments would be welcome.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2018 :  23:07:58  Show Profile
Hi Colin. Has your research found much on the three MG six's plus the unnamed Dexter car?

Kevin

Edited by - KevinA on 20/07/2018 23:08:33
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2018 :  10:34:06  Show Profile
Not yet Kevin. But I hope it will in due course. I will certainly include any information I come across on the "behemoths", even though they don't have the correct camshaft drive.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2018 :  19:37:34  Show Profile
I have found that A S Crowther purchased new Mk 1 chassis no 6606 reg no GC2302 eng no JC10624, the entry is not dated but the car is described as a Jarvis Coupe. It was supplied by Henleys Ltd of Euston Road.
There are no Salters or Laings listed although I did find a Lang but his initial was C not JR.
John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 23/07/2018 19:39:53
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2018 :  20:30:02  Show Profile
Thanks John. O-to-A gives Salter's car as WL7196.

....and as for "behemoths" with the wrong drive. Don't get me started, just don't!

;-)

Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2018 :  20:38:00  Show Profile
OK Colin. I forgive your comment enough to point something out. Although PN5022 is shown as number 23 in two photos, they are (to my mind) unlikely to be the same event. The font on the competition numbers is quite different in each shot.

If you then compare these with the shot of UD3166 I would happily say that the plate in the Getty image matches nicely, even down to the second number in the windscreen.

It is the Sutton village shot which is the odd one

Kevin

Edited by - KevinA on 23/07/2018 20:48:53
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2018 :  08:17:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KevinA

Thanks John. O-to-A gives Salter's car as WL7196.................

WL 7196 is alive and well and is in the care of the President of the club.

Edited to add - Robin Salter is listed as the first owner and had the car from 1929 to 1964. He lived in Bognor Regis.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 24/07/2018 08:21:00
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2018 :  15:06:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KevinA

Thanks John. O-to-A gives Salter's car as WL7196.

Kevin where in O-to-A did you find that? My info was from Early M.G.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2018 :  00:17:11  Show Profile
Hi John

Page 650, the section compiled by David Hutchison. This section is an excellent starting point but not 100% correct- for example several of the entries for 18/80s are actually 14hp cars so a degree of caution may be needed

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2018 :  06:42:14  Show Profile
Thanks Kevin, I also notice that on the previous page J R Laing is mentioned but not his car.
I'm surprised that David has some errors, he is usually very exact.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2018 :  09:46:50  Show Profile
Yes John but things do move on as more information is discovered over time. As I said it is an excellent starting point so no criticism is intended.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000