Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Malcolm Campbell Steering Wheel
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dan F

USA
834 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2018 :  21:25:51  Show Profile
I am looking for a Malcolm Campbell steering wheel...Does anyone have one to sell or know of anyone reproducing them ???
thanks
Dan

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2018 :  06:53:04  Show Profile
You could try Willie McKenzie at Austin Reproduction Parts. he makes all sorts of steering wheels...

hth...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2018 :  09:21:54  Show Profile
Dan

Is this what you are after? (it was described to me as Malcolm Campbell style)

Made for me by
MYRTLE LIMITED,
Unit 95 The Oaks,
Manston Business Park,
Ramsgate,
Kent, CT12 5FD
U.K.
Tel: 44 (0)1843 844962
myrtleprod@aol.com

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2018 :  21:54:56  Show Profile

Hello, Dan.

Just noticed one for sale, now on EBay. Listed as ‘ Vintage MG 17” steering wheel ‘ I don’t know whether you can access this. I am not involved, just trying to be helpful !

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Dan F

USA
834 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2018 :  23:59:04  Show Profile
Thanks guys. Orstin - will check with Willie. Tim the one I am referring to would have a larger and thicker boss in the center - I think. Ive only seen one in pictures.
Chris , thanks for the lead. I sent you an email,
Best and thanks to all,
Dan
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  05:19:07  Show Profile
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232920430916

Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  08:44:46  Show Profile
Dan

Understood. The boss used to make the wheel in the picture was the boss from the damaged 3 spoke wheel that came with the pile of parts I bought to build the car from. At least we knew that would fit the steering shaft.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  09:37:20  Show Profile

Kevin,

Thanks for helping there, hope Dan picks this up. I wasn’t sure how to send the link.

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Dan F

USA
834 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  13:45:03  Show Profile
Guys:
thanks for all the help and efforts. That's a great wheel and a possibility but the one I was referring to has a larger boss in the middle and appears (from memory) to measure 5-6" wide with the MG logo in the middle and a circular pattern of rivets (?) around the outside of the boss.
I'll see if I can find a picture.
As always, thanks
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  14:40:30  Show Profile
Hi Tim,
I am also looking for a Malcolm (Duncan) Campbell steering wheel.
Mine will need to have a longer “neck” to clear my knuckles from the dashlamps.
Could you take a photo from the side so that I could see the length of neck
Many thanks,
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

Dan F

USA
834 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  17:09:24  Show Profile
I’ve been meaning to chime in . Thanks for all the help overvthe last few weeks with my requests . I was incorrect and the Malcolm wheel shown was what I needed. I was unable to bid on the eBay wheel because of an eBay issue with shipping to the USA . Seller really tried but couldn’t get help from eBay to sort through .
Anyway , bottom line is I am still looking for one .
Best and thanks
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  17:31:52  Show Profile
Hi Dan,
I have sent you an em off line

Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  18:30:01  Show Profile
Malcolm

Will do. The car is not here at the moment but will be back tomorrow evening and I will endeavour to do a photo then.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  18:34:56  Show Profile
Malcolm

Just found this one with the wheel off the car. Does this help?

As noted above this was my boss from an old wheel which I therefore knew fitted the steering shaft and was used to build the wheel around it.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  19:15:00  Show Profile
Hi Tim,
Thanks for this. I have an old boss which looks similar. The measurement from the rear of the boss to the middle of the nut is 30mm. Could you measure please measure the distance of the one in the photo.
Thanks
Malcolm
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2138 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2018 :  14:06:21  Show Profile
Malcolm, I may be able to help. I have a salonette column on one of my cars and with a two seater body I have always knocked my knuckles on the dash lamps if I did not feed the wheel. Salonettes had shorter columns of course.

To overcome the problem, the column tube can be removed and the shaft cut, sleeved and extended. Alternatively, an extended boss can be made. I have just made the pattern and almost finish machined the first casting (just have to clear my tool shelving to swing the slotting head round into position on the Bridgeport for the keyway slotting). I have added 1 5/8ths inch in length to an otherwise identical boss profile and it has worked a treat giving the appearance of a factory original finish production boss, if there were ever to be such a thing!

Centre boss has the domed (J4 / salonette ) MG crested centre molded off an original MG boss.

I am able to run more off if necessary. I plan to fit another one also to a Bluemels Malcolm Campbell steering wheel for the next project. If you think this approach may be helpful to you then feel free to drop me an email direct although I am rather flat out at the moment with a busy machining itinerary on other batch runs at the moment, so if you think I can help, let me know on timescales.

I would post a photo although this MMM website seems to not cater very well for Mac users.

Regards

Rich
Email; enquiries@vintagemgparts.com

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 19/09/2018 14:09:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page