Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 J2 gearbox input shaft washers
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blueberry

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2018 :  17:24:10  Show Profile
I am looking for a pair of the shaped washers that go on the gearbox input shaft one each side of the input shaft bearing. These washers are referred to and illustrated in G. Howell’s book “A Practical Guide to the Restoration of the J Type. If anyone has a pair they wish to sell, that would be wonderful. I would also be prepared to make a pair of washers if someone could supply the correct dimensions of the washers including the thickness of the metal.

I do hope you are able to help.

Chris

CJHILL

kimber

United Kingdom
1525 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2018 :  18:43:39  Show Profile
It sounds as though you mean the hardened washers with a chamfered bore either side of the needle roller bearings. If so, there is only one to the rear of the needle roller which is recessed into the back of the input shaft. It is peculiar in that there isn't one in front of it.

Or, have I misunderstood which washers you are referring to?

Edited by - kimber on 13/09/2018 18:45:00
Go to Top of Page

Blueberry

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2018 :  19:17:01  Show Profile
I have the five spacers to which you refer. It is the two washers either side of the input shaft bearing, a the one on the gearbox side of bearing is concave and could be an oil thrower, the other one is flat. From the picture in the book they are about 2” Dia. and 0.050” thick.

Chris

CJHILL
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1525 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2018 :  20:01:57  Show Profile
Aha! Those washers! I haven't got any to hand I'm afraid but doubtless someone will have spares or be able to give you measurements.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3040 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2018 :  09:40:37  Show Profile

Are you thinking about part numbers 28 and 29?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 14/09/2018 10:21:51
Go to Top of Page

Blueberry

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2018 :  17:15:58  Show Profile
Yes those are the two washers I need, so much easier when you have a numbered drawing.

Many thanks Sam for clarifying the exact parts required, just need to find s pair now.

Chris

CJHILL
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3040 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  14:45:40  Show Profile
Detail from Morris Minor four speed -

In the absence of a better answer I hope these pictures help.

And the least accurate measurement which is roughly 2.5 to 3mm.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Blueberry

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  15:42:11  Show Profile
Hi Sam, thank you so much for the dimensions, I can work with these in the absence of the actual washers.

Chris

CJHILL
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
861 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2018 :  09:45:00  Show Profile
In the exploded diagram posted by Sam the layshaft is shown with plain bearings not Hyatt . Does anybody know which gearbox types used plain bearing layshafts ? Geoff
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3040 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2018 :  11:36:54  Show Profile
The plain bearings were fitted to the earliest versions (Sanction 50) of this gearbox. The plain bearings last really well.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
861 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2018 :  15:58:12  Show Profile
Thanks Sam ,I take it then that no MMM car was originally fitted with plain bearings as sanction 50 is an early hornet saloon ? The reason that I ask is that I now have a gearbox with L type bellhousing, MMM rear housing [vertical speedo drive]both with the larger diameter register holes for the plain bearings [which it has] .The casing of the box has no sanction number stamping at all.Geoff
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5942 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2018 :  18:39:30  Show Profile
Sam,

Do you have the legends that go with your two drawings? I ask because in the one for the Morris Minor four speed there are seemingly two dished oil thrower washers - part number variously P76, P134 and P53 - and in the first (and last) drawing there seems to be only one, namely part number 29. (I'm assuming that in the latter drawing part number 28 is the locking nut and part number 27 is the lock wire.)

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3040 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2018 :  00:39:37  Show Profile

Wolseley -

I do not believe I have the four speed Minor legend.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 24/09/2018 00:42:12
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5942 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2018 :  07:53:38  Show Profile
Interesting, Sam, as number 28 is clearly different to 29 yet in the four speed. Inor box the oil throwers are the same, i.e. they have the same part number. Is that a drawing of the three speed box?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3040 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2018 :  09:52:22  Show Profile
The drawings above show four speed Wolseley Hornet gearboxes.

It is likely the exploded diagrams created with the first version of the Wolseley four speed gearbox were only updated as Wolseley felt absolutely necessary. Clearly the Hyatt bearings needed to be added.

The Hornet three speed (below) and the OHC Minor parts lists show a driven plate with a cone shaped centre but very few people have ever seen one like this and as far as I can see the illustrations were never updated.

I believe the Minor four speed diagram shows the oil throwers correctly because it was a fresh and updated drawing. Here the oil throwers have the same number.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 25/09/2018 10:14:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000