Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Old PB lightweight trials body
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

adempster

New Zealand
9 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  01:19:49  Show Profile
In January 1995 we purchased a dismantled PA (P898) from the UK that was a box of bits in which no numbers matched. It included a body in cream cracker colour about which I was completely cynical. However on stripping the paint it is a lightweight PB body with sound frame but alloy that demonstrates a fairly hard trials history that had been filled and repainted on two separate occasions. No other colour was evident anywhere. It has never had swept wings and has mounting holes on the near side for an outboard silencer, (one in the front welded). The front steel below the scuttle has welded holes where the underlying wood should have holes (none present) and a right side non standard low hole for the firewall support as was present in trials cars with superchargers. The imprint and holes for a body plate (removed) are present in the rear of the front wood below the scuttle.

Although we have a set of swept wings my intention is to retain the body as is as with alloy wings as a bit of trials history. I would be interested to know if anyone knows of a trials car that had a body replacement prior to 1995 in which the body was discarded and its fate unknown.

Centric

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2018 :  11:59:42  Show Profile
Alex,
This sounds very interesting. I suspect that at least two of the PB Cream Crackers have completely new bodies. Although many P types had thir swept wings thrown away when their owners became serious about trials work I do not know of any that started life with cyccle wings. Perhaps the Summerfield car? Maybe the current owners of the PB Cream Crackers could shed some light on what happened to their original bodies?
You are to be congratulated on preserving this body, you may have a significant piece of MG history.
Good luck with your reseaches,
Alan
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2018 :  13:07:23  Show Profile
Alex, as a matter of interest can you discern a stamped number inside the body tub? These were generally stamped on the top front horizontal timber rail and should be visible from inside the car if you crane your neck upwards.

Here's an example:

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2018 :  13:49:20  Show Profile
Something I should have mentioned in the previous posting:

The number 528 does not denote a chassis number - rather it is the Carbodies body number of this particular body tub! Carbodies made the tubs and numbered them with their id, and the MG Car Co then added their own separate id to the same tub!

In the case of this particular car (PA03$8) the body tub numbers were 528 (Carbodies) and 119 (MG)

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Gusshoneybun

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2018 :  13:53:09  Show Profile
As a matter of interest, PB0528 was supplied new from the factory with cycle wings as a competition car. The car was delivered to the first owner with J2 wings as confirmed by the MG factory sales invoice in February 1936.
quote:
Originally posted by Centric

Alex,
This sounds very interesting. I suspect that at least two of the PB Cream Crackers have completely new bodies. Although many P types had thir swept wings thrown away when their owners became serious about trials work I do not know of any that started life with cyccle wings. Perhaps the Summerfield car? Maybe the current owners of the PB Cream Crackers could shed some light on what happened to their original bodies?
You are to be congratulated on preserving this body, you may have a significant piece of MG history.
Good luck with your reseaches,
Alan

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000