Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Mystery Woman
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5983 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2018 :  12:11:48  Show Profile
John,

Mike's death was a great loss to the Ulster vintage car world as he was a mine of information, not to mention being a nice bloke. But if you had spoken to him about this then I think we may consider that avenue of research closed and there's no point in me trying to see if his notes of his discussions with Hammy's mother are available.

Chris and JohnE,

There is a six week back order time on the dark brown overalls. In the meantime I shall pursue the large MG badge.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2018 :  18:26:27  Show Profile
Thanks Simon, the other possibility is an iron on badge, because CNC sewing machines don't like pockets, much preferring the back to embroider, as the inside of the pocket is not easily reached by the machine arm.
Plenty of badge suppliers there.I will look into it if you like.

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5983 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2018 :  20:21:53  Show Profile
JohnE,

We're rather dragging a John Brinkmann's serious topic off course with our frivolous musings. So I'll drop you a line about this.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2018 :  14:28:21  Show Profile
I'm sorry, John, I have no idea who the lady is! Although I would agree she looks remarkably like this Elizabeth Grace woman Kevin came up with, the Earl of March was not at the 1932 Ulster TT nor was he involved with the Montlhery Midgets any longer, so why would his missus be there?

This pic shows Hammy and his Mum at the 1932 German GP. Assuming Hammy's fiancée did indeed accompany him to most of his races, could it be that she was not yet in the picture in 1932 and therefore is not in these pictures?

Incidentally, Simon, the car on the far left in John's first photograph is indeed C0279 but with C0257's radiator with 78 (the number it carried at the German GP) still showing because Hammy had to reverse his supercharger contraption and to do so needed stuff off C0257. After C0279 crashed in practice, its original radiator (showing no. 30) was fitted to C0257 for Barnes to drive:

(Stan Barnes & C0257 with C0279's radiator)

Another point of interest (well, to me anyway!) is that the bloke working on No. 31/C0253 is indeed Bill 'Jock' Little. In the other thread (http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=6903&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=Oscar,Paterson) you mentioned, I was wondering if I had been mixing up Bill Little with the bloke standing next to Paterson in this picture, but I have now found that that man is one Bill Gibbs:

Another 'incidentally': Gardner writes Patterson (double t) on all his photographs, but Paterson (single t) in his book. I vaguely remember having discussed this before, but can't remember exactly. Did we come to any conclusions as to which one it should be?
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2018 :  15:58:21  Show Profile
On a related matter I posted a pic of someone who could possibly have been Hammy's riding mechanic in the 1933 TT in this closed topic:
http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=7492&SearchTerms=Hamilton

I have now found this picture showing the same boy (far left) and it appears to me that -confirming my initial thoughts- he is simply waiting for an autograph himself and is not one of the autographers:

(Not sure why it shows up on its side ... Could you possibly rectify this, Nick?)

Oh, and while on the topic of autographs, could it be your Lady of Mystery is simply a groupie, John? Looks as if she's after an autograph herself or is she simply holding on to someone else's pad? Or could it be a time keeping sheet of some sort?

Not sure if starting a new thread would have been better, but here we are!
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5983 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2018 :  20:36:21  Show Profile
Cathelijne ,

My local sources tell me that 'Oscar' was J (John).W. Patterson (two t's) who, post War, ran a garage in Ballyhackamore in Belfast. In those days, Ballyhackamore wasn't as fashionable an area as it is today so he called his garage the Knock Motor Co, Knock being a much more salubrious area even though it abutted onto Ballyhackamore. He competed at Craigantlet a couple of times, on one occasion (1937) driving the supercharged PB that won the Limerick Grand Prix. It isn't clear if he owned the car but I seem to recall that he was perhaps listed as the entrant at Limerick.

Re the Hamilton C Type at Ards, I do of course recall the saga of the supercharger inlet manifold but good that you drew attention to it for future reference.

Simon J
J3437
P.S. I wouldn't be convinced that the chap on the extreme left of your 1932 photo is Hammy's 1933 riding mechanic.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 25/09/2018 20:47:05
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2018 :  21:39:19  Show Profile
Huh? I’m not getting your PS, Simon ! Who don’t you think is Hammy’s riding mechanic in what year and in what pic and are you saying I am?
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5983 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2018 :  22:23:19  Show Profile
in your post with the sideways picture you refer to the chap on the extreme left being Hammy's riding mechanic in 1933 and I was just saying that I didn't think it was the same person.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2018 :  14:49:24  Show Profile
Hahahaha, nonononono, that is so not what I was doing! I was referring to him as NOT being Hammy's 1933 mechanic!
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5983 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2018 :  15:21:24  Show Profile
Well then we’re agreed

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2018 :  00:37:00  Show Profile
Thanks for the (new to me) photo, Cat. If the Lady of Mystery is a groupie, she was eminently successful at crashing a very elite party and plopping herself down in the middle of it. She does indeed resemble Lady Elizabeth, although she is able to smile.

Here's a shot of Hammy, apparently affixing the doll at Masaryk. The woman next to him is particularly interested. Mom preferred a different style of hat.

John.
J3752
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3329 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2018 :  16:34:32  Show Profile
Cat
Picture rotated for you.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page