Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Watergate Bay Speed Hillclimb
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Charlie Cartwright

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2018 :  14:23:07  Show Profile
This was the first closed-road road event under the new road traffic act regulations.
Fantastic 2 days. 90 cars each day . Sadly no MG's. Come on folks it's worth the trip to Cornwall.
See http://www.watergatebayhillclimb.co.uk/inaugural-watergate-bay-speed-hillclimb-a-remarkable-motorsport-success/

Charlie Cartwright

Charlie Cartwright

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2018 :  14:38:51  Show Profile
Here are some pics.

Charlie Cartwright
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5986 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  11:56:38  Show Profile
Charlie,

Great to see that the rest of the UK has finally caught up with us here in Ulster where we've been doing this for over a hundred years! It looks like a terrific location and reminiscent of our Garron Point hill climb with a spectacular sea view, but of course, the driver doesn't get to enjoy it. Here's a well known Triple-M'er on the Ulster Tour a couple of years ago when we included the hill climb route on the Tour.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Cartwright

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  12:18:45  Show Profile
Yes it's great to use the public roads. get a good road surface / tarmac compared with private sites.

Charlie Cartwright
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  14:58:08  Show Profile
Charlie was your last picture of an M.G. going so fast you missed it?

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5986 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  15:20:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Cartwright

Yes it's great to use the public roads. get a good road surface / tarmac compared with private sites.

Over here the roads authority keeps the roads at circuits like Dundrod and hill climbs like Garron Point clear of cat’s eyes (or should that be cats’ eyes?) as you wouldn’t want them in the way, especially when the bikes are hitting 200mph these days.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Cartwright

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  15:25:36  Show Profile
Ah Hi. It was the view from my marshalls post. Not allowed to take photos while the cars are running. The other pics are by the "official photographer ".
It was a huge event for our local small clubs to put on . Wish the MG Car Club would widen their horizons and not just spend our subs on motor racing!!

Charlie Cartwright
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  17:37:06  Show Profile
The MGCC runs a speed championship as well does it not. I think the North West centre runs it. Not sure how they choose their venues. http://www.mgspeed.net/

Does look like a cracking venue but the hill needs to be longer!

How may runs did people get.

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Edited by - Dolts on 20/09/2018 17:39:23
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Cartwright

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  18:28:14  Show Profile
4 runs each car each day. (720 runs in total). Hoping to make it longer next year with a second hairpin .
We made £10,000 donated to charities.

Charlie Cartwright
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  18:38:18  Show Profile
Indeed a great achievement made possible by changes in law enabling this kind of events on road

I don't think there was any prewar cars competing sadly

Originating not far up the road from there I can only agree on the stunning location

I got switched off from the event when I read their requirements for photographers accreditation. In particular the need to recognised Marshalls training. Bizarre they don't demand that at other hillclimbs like Prescott etc. I don't even need that for accreditation at the Nurburgring or LeMans. All a bit over the top and it switched me off completely! :(

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Cartwright

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  19:16:07  Show Profile
They were very nervous about H&S and not offending MSA and all the numerous jobsworths that were everywhere. Never seen so many hi vis' s!!!!

Charlie Cartwright
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  20:17:32  Show Profile
Would be good to see it take place again and then tempt some prewar entrants :)

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  21:30:35  Show Profile
That’s amazing 10k! Brilliant

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2018 :  13:02:41  Show Profile
I decided not to enter (despite living locally) as I don't feel the hill suits a lower-powered car like my standard J2. I know the road very well, only one tight bend and mostly a long steep straightish main bit. Not nearly as good as the excellent Sprint at Portreath airfield the week before, or Castle Hillclimb at Lostwithiel last month.
Everyone on the forum seems very excited about this venue, but I suggest speaking to a spectator or two before waxing lyrical. I've only heard negative reports about it, and I've had quite a few. At a camera club I was visiting last night there were several grumpy people who said they couldn't see anything, and the only reasonable view of the track was obscured by a large group of marshals. The advance publicity videos for the event on TV were mostly, if not entirely, filmed at other venues! I recognise pics from Wiscombe and Tregrehan hillcimbs on the website.
Speaking as a keen MMM hillclimber I would love to be more positive about a venue local to me, but I think caution and realism is needed.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2018 :  16:28:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by briang

I decided not to enter (despite living locally) as I don't feel the hill suits a lower-powered car like my standard J2. I know the road very well, only one tight bend and mostly a long steep straightish main bit. Not nearly as good as the excellent Sprint at Portreath airfield the week before, or Castle Hillclimb at Lostwithiel last month.
Everyone on the forum seems very excited about this venue, but I suggest speaking to a spectator or two before waxing lyrical. I've only heard negative reports about it, and I've had quite a few. At a camera club I was visiting last night there were several grumpy people who said they couldn't see anything, and the only reasonable view of the track was obscured by a large group of marshals. The advance publicity videos for the event on TV were mostly, if not entirely, filmed at other venues! I recognise pics from Wiscombe and Tregrehan hillcimbs on the website.
Speaking as a keen MMM hillclimber I would love to be more positive about a venue local to me, but I think caution and realism is needed.

Brian

That's good feedback Brian, many thanks

Colin Murrell
D0285
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Cartwright

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2018 :  18:28:38  Show Profile
Yes speed hill climbing is not everybody's favourite spectator sport but the people I met on site all seemed very happy with their day.
Quite a few competitors wished they had more power.
Brian, where can we find you some more good horses? Most of mine are knackered.

Charlie Cartwright
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000