Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA Airline
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  08:24:52  Show Profile
Simon. It would be nice to have a copy of that photo when you find it . Costs reimbursed, of course.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5984 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  10:22:28  Show Profile
Ray,

Happy to do so. The chap who owned it is doing a series of articles on his motoring life for our Ulster Vintage Car Club Newssheet which I edit and I expect the next instalment will cover his Belfast years. I'll be sure to send you that as well.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  10:27:22  Show Profile
I can go two better than Ray's story of buying an Airline. In 1956 when I was looking for my first MMM car, I looked at an Airline PA which was for sale in a dealer's showroom in Hove, priced at £75. It certainly looked nice but I didn't buy it as I found it claustrophobic and it smelt damp from the leaking roof lights. Then a few years later I was offered an NA Airline plus a Pillarless KN Saloon for a total price of £80 for the pair. In my usual "think positive" mode, I came up with about 10 good reasons why I should not buy the two cars, and not one compelling reason for doing so. I am pleased to say that both cars ended up in very good hands.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3226 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  10:52:12  Show Profile
Jack - thanks for posting the picture of your PB Airline - the car looks pristine.

Like many of us old codgers I used S H Richardson & Sons,Moore Lane, Staines, to source spares for the PA I had also bought off them for £75.

I recall there was at least one Airline in amongst the many cars scattered about the site, one was probably beyond repair?

Happy days!

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 12/11/2018 10:54:06
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  11:01:26  Show Profile
Simon , that would be great , thanks.

Colin, So many missed opportunities in years gone by .
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  11:31:18  Show Profile
Ray. That sounds a bit like my love-life !

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

John Mee

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  13:57:41  Show Profile
Wayne Cairni’s PA can be viewed on Utube. I have to say it looks pretty good.
I initially thought black and orange would look awful , but I have to say I like it. I think it suits the car, quite Art Deco.

John Mee
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3051 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  14:22:08  Show Profile
On youtube does Wayne Cairni say the PB was the six cylinder version?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  14:57:14  Show Profile
Here is the link to the youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePuC2MwqudE

I actually think the Black/Burnt orange paintjob looks quite striking and is down to personal tsate but it's not terrible but it's so close to red he could have gone Red or Maroon. The interior on the other hand looks awful and i would tell him that to his face. I only really saw the door but that tells you everything you need to know. Very modern colour, flat and boring, looks so cheap, tacky and out of place, it's an insult to the car, not a compliment. I'm sure it's leather but may aswell be vinyl as no character. I've used nicer vinyls than that.

Regards James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  16:22:27  Show Profile
Ray and Simon,

Here is a photo of BDV 402 in relatively current times.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  16:55:32  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Colin Butchers

Ray. That sounds a bit like my love-life !

It's never too late Colin ;-)

Regards James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3208 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  18:11:25  Show Profile
George,
Was this the one you fancied???

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

Edited by - LewPalmer on 12/11/2018 18:11:58
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  19:34:06  Show Profile
Lew . Thanks for posting the picture of BDV 402. I remember seeing it on your Airline Register a few years ago.
It does , of course , look quite different to when l owned it and used it almost daily. The sliding roof was just plain , no windows at all but it did work OK. The headlights were made by Zeiss and had glass reflectors . The fronts were hinged at the side , being released by pressing together the buttons on the opposite side . They were beautiful . I often wonder what happened to them. Never seen a pair like them since.
Happy memories !.
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2018 :  20:59:26  Show Profile
"Interesting" headlamp lenses!

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5984 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2018 :  11:37:08  Show Profile
Here is what a previous owner of BDV 402, Michael Marshall, has to say:

I am writing to pass on as much as I can remember of my much loved 1936 PB Airline Coupé I ran in Belfast 1955-58 and Bolton, England 1958-60. I dimly recall that its reg. no. BDV 402 was of Devon origin.

When acquired in 1955 the only items missing was the MG flap on the starting handle tunnel which I never replaced, and the handle of the windscreen opener. It was very sound, being then only 19 years old, but somewhat tired and its dullish all-black paintwork did not do it justice. That was the first thing I changed by painting its upper works and wings Oxford blue and the side panels Cambridge blue using Valspar. This absolutely transformed its appearance – see first attachment. I repainted it In England it in dark and very pale grey, which I never thought looked as well as in Oxford and Cambridge blue and did not go with its very comfortable blue hide seats - see second and third attachments.. It looked so well that a sporting car dealer in Belfast offered a swap with his 1923 Brescia Bugatti – an offer I refused as being painted yellow, and having little bodywork other than an oval petrol tank behind the seats, also no hood, it would be no use for my extramural activities since no father would allow his daughter to be seen in it.

The only changes I made were the addition of a fold-up prop to keep the mixture control partly ‘rich’ until warmed up, and what I considered an artistically curved replacement handle for the windscreen opener. The knob of this arm was a cleaned-up flint fixing bolt from a 1759 flintlock that pistol that was too badly corroded for restoration.

Its Carl Zeiss of Jena headlamps were of very high quality; their parabolic mirrors were of glass with a little heater at the bottom to prevent misting up and they swung open sideways around vertical hinges.

The car went very well and would easily attain 70mph. although out of respect for its age I seldom exceeded 60mph – nor needed to in pre-motorway days..

The vertical dynamo was always kept oily by leakage from the overhead camshaft drive, but this never caused a problem.

The only mechanical problems came to light in England: a cracked valve seated, repaired with an insert and a loose cylinder sleeve, both done very nicely by Burtonwood Engineering in Cheshire.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000