Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 My trip to New Zealand, February 2019
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2019 :  14:10:01  Show Profile
My partner Barbara and I are spending February visiting New Zealand, and would be interested to know of any MG or vintage events that might be worth taking in on our trip (not Napier, as we'll not be in the area at that time). We'll spend the first few days around the Bay of Islands, then expect to be in Taupo from 5-9 February. We'll spend the next seven days heading south, then staying at Arrowtown from 16 to 23 (and doing day trips from there). After that we'll be touring back up the west coast towards Auckland for our flight home.

We could consider bringing some parts over, as we have a good baggage allowance, unless SWMBO uses it all up. I could collect from nearby in Fife, otherwise parts would have to be brought to me.

Colin

Crail, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591

Oz34

United Kingdom
2494 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2019 :  17:58:34  Show Profile
Hi Colin, can't be of any help on your request however, you're doing it almost exactly 3 years after Claire and I did. You'll love it!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
395 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2019 :  20:36:23  Show Profile
Ahh so close !. The NZ Pre-56 MG Rally in being hosted in Cromwell in the South Island from 3rd-8th March 2019. Only held every two years.

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
226 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2019 :  21:22:16  Show Profile
Hi Colin,
Hope you are taking your fly rod, one of the principal reasons for going to NZ is to experience some of the finest dry fly fishing in the world at the cost of the licence only.

The food, the wine, the scenery and the innovative friendly inhabitants are pretty well on par with the fly fishing.

They are tough at quarantine so in doubt declare it is the best advice, my fly fishing friend was fined $400 because he had forgotten an apple in his back pack.

Enjoy your holiday
cheers
ross kelly
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2019 :  22:18:22  Show Profile
Hi Colin

Not just MGs but a good thing to look at is the Vintage Car Club website. The VCC is quite unlike anything in the UK.
Each of the branches have club rooms and most hold used spare parts.
I'm near Christchurch if you're at a loose end down here!!!!

http://vcc.org.nz/events-page/
Go to Top of Page

Peter Croft

New Zealand
52 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  08:51:07  Show Profile
Hello Colin,

I think you have got the message. First check what's on, then book your tickets. Napier is amazing and not to be missed, which you are doing!

As you have been informed, the biennial Pre 56 MG Rally is early March, and well worth attending.At this moment I can arrange accommodation for you.

There are no doubt many VCC events but be warned the VCC caters for cars up to 1989 and has developed more into a social club and less of a old car club. The sight of a vintage car can be a rare thing these days.

You are welcome to e mail me and visit. Maybe we can go for a bit of a blast, or a chug in something.

Peter and J3096

Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  10:02:53  Show Profile
Colin, as you haven't actually mentioned it, can I assume that the main reason for your trip to NZ is to pay homage to RA0253 which is kept in the Southward Trust Museum, Paraparauma, near Wellington.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  11:21:45  Show Profile
Hi Folks. Thanks for all the info so far. Tony, that's a shame about the Pre-56 MG rally, but the flights are already booked. Thanks Kevin & Peter for the VCC info. I may be in touch, depending on how the tour goes. Ross, I've visited before, so know about the strict quarantine regs. Sadly, although I once owned a fishing tackle shop, I never mastered the art of fly fishing. I will be visiting Napier, as I love the Art Deco architecture, but I won't be there for the rally, which I believe is very crowded anyway.

Colin, many thanks for that. I had planned to visit Southward, but hadn't realised that it contained an R type. That's a real bonus, and it has moved the Southward visit well up the list of priorities. It now stands to be on the trip south from Taupo, rather on the return trip to Auckland.

Any more ideas gratefully received

Colin

Crail, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

mgmike

New Zealand
39 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2019 :  09:03:45  Show Profile
Hi Colin, if you are in Auckland on Sunday 10 February there is the annual Intermarque Concours d'Elegance held at Ellerslie Racecourse, this is always a great event and the MGCC Auckland branch is planning a good prewar display.
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2019 :  09:12:45  Show Profile
Colin, you have some good info to digest. Southwards has a PA as well.

If you divert to state highway 2 from Auckland and follow signs to Tauranga you will pass our property, M.G. Car Company of New Zealand that has 8 MMM cars to see.

Rotorua is one hour and 20 minutes(traffic permitting) from our property on the way to Taupo.

Bring or buy plenty of sun screen as it only takes 20 minutes to get burnt in February.

Let me know if you have time to visit?

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

Geoff.Broadhead

New Zealand
27 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  06:46:21  Show Profile
Hello Colin,

I suggest you look at the Events pages of the four NZ MGCC Centres in NZ: Auckland,(www.mgclub.org.nz),Wellington (www.mgcarclub.org.nz, Christchurch, (http://www.mgcarclubcanterbury.nz, and Otago (not sure if they have a web site). I suggest you see what they have planned and what fits in around your itinerary.

Regarding the R Type in Southwoods Museum, I completed researching the history of this car with lots of assistance from Bob Milton - the article possibly to appear in the next Triple-M Year Book if Editor approves, but details of the car's history are available via MGCC (Auckland) website: www. mgclub.org.nz/Information/Registers. You can also see what P types we have out here too, as that maybe of interest to you.

We have around 90 Triple-M cars out here but the R Type is the one which (in my opinion) has the most interesting history.

Geoff
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  10:08:13  Show Profile
The history of RA0253 is also fully detailed in The Hawke History of MMM Competition Cars which can be obtained from the MMM Library.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  10:27:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rodb

Colin, you have some good info to digest. Southwards has a PA as well.

If you divert to state highway 2 from Auckland and follow signs to Tauranga you will pass our property, M.G. Car Company of New Zealand that has 8 MMM cars to see.

Rotorua is one hour and 20 minutes(traffic permitting) from our property on the way to Taupo.

Bring or buy plenty of sun screen as it only takes 20 minutes to get burnt in February.

Let me know if you have time to visit?

RodB NZ

9 and 11 years ago we must have passed you several times, at that time the only people I knew and visited were Chris Wheeler in Auckland with his 18/80 and our old friend Irving Black in Tamuka on the South Island. My 18/80 came from NZ in 1989 and I tried to find Sue Naylor the previous owner. We spent 6 weeks there each time, so many wonderful places to see, sights to enjoy and we happened on The Art Deco weekend at Napier, purely by Chance if I can find any 'photos I'll post them. I think I 'photoed every MG that was present in the parade Triple M's T types and SVW, fantastic. If I were younger I'd go again.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2019 :  11:04:11  Show Profile
Once again, thanks to everyone who has responded, and I've noted all the advice. Rod, I've emailed you direct.

Colin

Crail, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000