Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Oh dear oh dear
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  04:29:59  Show Profile
Really, Hector???

https://youtu.be/j0tcSTKKhqg

Edited by - KevinA on 10/01/2019 04:30:41

Westbury

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  08:55:14  Show Profile

Thanks, Kevin.

What an absolute disgrace to the MG name, it’s history and heritage !

Chris
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  10:31:02  Show Profile
Ah but didn't Hector come to a sticky end because he put on a fallen hero's armour?

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

creamcracker

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2019 :  23:04:02  Show Profile
For your delectation!!!

https://www.cartoq.com/mg-hector-tata-harrier/

Keith

Edited by - creamcracker on 11/01/2019 23:08:10
Go to Top of Page

Ray White

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2019 :  22:12:49  Show Profile
I thought it was named after Hector.

Perhaps it's a dog?

[url=https://postimages.org/][/url]

R. White
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2019 :  02:28:44  Show Profile
That ranks along side Edsel in my opinion. What other lead-balloon names can you think of?
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2019 :  08:51:04  Show Profile
Apparently Rolls Royce almost launched a Silver Mist, until it was pointed out that "mist" means "dung" in German. Imagine telling your German friends that you drive a RR Silver Sh!t

Colin

Crail, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

chapelfarmer

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2019 :  10:44:14  Show Profile
Yes - Toyota struggled with the MR2 in France. If you have french you will know that the pronunciation (phonetically-ish: Em Err Duh) is strikingly similar, especially when said fast, to the pronunciation of a popular french word whose meaning is very like that of the Silver version RR failed to bewitch the Germans with. Another favourite is the NIssan Cedric - most Tokyo taxis were Cedrics the last time I was there.
Re Hector himself (qua product) - the Riley world distinguishes 'Coventry Rileys' from others. Maybe it's time for 'Abingdon MGs'?

john
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1850 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2019 :  11:43:12  Show Profile
Now we know why a Ford Ka SI was absent from the line up.
Go to Top of Page

Ray White

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2019 :  12:04:41  Show Profile
I would be interested in knowing how much the MG brand name is actually worth now. ?

R. White
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
397 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2019 :  13:10:43  Show Profile
I am sure there have been many times in the past when similar mumblings have been heard abut the fate of the MG name, or brand as we are wont to call it these days. The debate following the shut down of the factory comes immediately to mind but similar comments were surely heard in the fifties when BMC and latterly BLMH came about. The big one, and arguably the most important, or the start of the rot, depending on your viewpoint, came in 1936. I certainly clearly remember wishing in 1990 that the MG name could be confined to the nostgic memories of the past when things were always better than today and can't help but wish that had come about then so that we were not now in the position of wondering whether MG really exists any more.
Yours in sadness. Ian Thomson.

Edited by - i.thomson on 15/01/2019 13:14:42
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2019 :  13:32:06  Show Profile

John (chapel farmer ) and Ian, well said, both ! So it’s ‘Abingdon MGs ‘ from now on !

The present crop of so called MGs is the reason why I won’t display an MG badge anywhere except on my Abingdon Cars, I just don’t want to be associated with them. Very, very sad indeed that it’s come to this.

Chris

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1127 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2019 :  17:49:31  Show Profile
I have a different view on this...(Apart from the name Hector which is ridiculous!)

I have grown up with M.G. as have so many of us. The history of the Abingdon era is what I m passionate about for sure but I actually quite like seeing the M.G. Badge still living. Brands change....who would have thought you could drive a SUV 4*4 Rolls Royce or Jaguar SUV built in china and Brazil....

It might not be our cup of tea or have anything to do with our cars. But I cant help be excited that there is another generation, another crop of car fans getting excited about the M.G. name. I m actually quite impressed how the guys in India are using the heritage and the history to make the brand relevant. The fact is its different, its not the Abingdon era.

Who knows, old hector might be not bad after all. My kids aged 12 and 11, didn't say " Dad isn't Hector a disgrace". They excitedly brought me over a magazine about the new M.G.s to show me and ask me, " Dad there is a new M.G. are you going to get one?"

Why is that a bad thing! Maybe these new things, allow us to provide a relevant if not tenuous link back to our glory days and the wonderful stories we have to tell.

Anyway just another view....

Mark

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
751 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2019 :  17:59:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Westbury

................. So it’s ‘Abingdon MGs ‘ from now on !

Chris

Chris

I have had several M.G.s three of which I revere the most, 2 1929 Mk 1 18/80's and now in my dotage a 1929 M.G. M type. These were built at Edmund Road, Oxford not at Abingdon, neither was my MGF/TF which was built at Longbridge. Please don't leave me out.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1020 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2019 :  20:24:36  Show Profile
Well said Mark

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts