Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PL8120
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

malcolm jones

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2019 :  21:11:33  Show Profile
Hi,
I've just received a birthday card ('Im not getting older honest), based on a Bill Brunell photo of
an MG reg PL8120 on the 1931 London/Barnstable Trial. I have the book The Golden Age Of British Motoring which has a print of the original, but does anyone know where the photo was taken, details of the car, has it survived etc?
Thanks
Malcolm

M. G. Jones

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2019 :  22:02:27  Show Profile
Malcolm,

The Register has no record of the car surviving.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2019 :  22:15:54  Show Profile
Malcolm

Certainly there's no record of the car surviving, but our Register database does have several pics of what appears to be this car taken at events in period. The captions include reference to these events:
- 1931 London Barnstaple trial
- 1932 Gloucestershire Trial
- 1932 Abingdon Abingdon Trial
- N.W.L.M.C. Gloucester trial 12 December 1931
- "MG M type of GE Taylor taking part in a motoring trial, c1930s. Artist: Bill Brunell.MG M 1931 847 cc. Vehicle Reg. No. PL8120. Event Entry No: 33. Driver: Taylor, G.E. Possibly a Jarvis body. Place: Unidentified Trial. Date:. (Photo by National Motor Museum/Heritage Images/Getty Images)"

Could you perhaps post a pic of the card you've received?

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  11:13:29  Show Profile
The lovely action shot of PL8120 in the 1932 London-Barnstaple Trial shows the car approaching the start of a section called Yealscombe on Exmoor. The car is a Jarvis bodied M Type driven by J R Temple who I think was John Thornley's boss in the Service Department at Abingdon at the time and shortly was promoted to Manager of the Competitions Department. Yealscombe caused a lot of problems on the trial due to the depth of water in the ford on the approach to the hill, followed by a very steep slippery and stony hill reputed to be 1 in 3.5. John Temple was one of only a few who cleaned the section and for his efforts he won the Surbiton Cup and Special Silver Award for best overall performance in the trial.

If any of you wish to visit the hill, it is about a mile from the village of Exford on the Edgcott Road and on entering Yealscombe, you take a left turn leading to the ford where you can park. For wimps the river is crossed by a footbridge and immediately there is a very stiff climb up to a level area beside the building which can be seen on the right. This is now a holiday or week-end cottage called "Liddicleeve". The hill proper starts just to the right of the cottage and is paved with stone slabs and rocks. When several of us first visited the hill about eight years ago a very high stone step had been created at the foot of the section to deter the 4x4 enthusiasts. It certainly deterred us from making an attempt. I went back to the hill a couple of years ago and the step had been taken down and the hill looks very inviting but the status of the section has now been downgraded to that of a "Restricted Byway" which effectively bars the use of all motorised traffic. The marshal in the photograph is running up the steep approach track having made sure that Mr Temple had crossed the deep ford safely, and when he got his breath back, he would give the signal to the driver to start his climb of the hill. The hill is about 200 yards long, with many rocky outcrops and eventually meets the tarmac lane at Yealscombe Farm.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 12/01/2019 11:19:26
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  17:13:26  Show Profile
In my blurb (above) I have just noticed that I referred to the 1932 London-Barnstaple Trial. This must have been a "should have gone to Specsaver's moment", and I meant to type 1931. The rest of what I said is more or less accurate, I think.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3051 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2019 :  12:07:57  Show Profile

Is this the picture?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 13/01/2019 12:09:16
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2019 :  12:29:45  Show Profile
In addition to the picture that Sam has posted, we also have these recorded on the Register's database (all rights acknowledged)

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2019 :  14:51:19  Show Profile
Great photos Dick
Thankyou

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

malcolm jones

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2019 :  17:41:05  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the interest and information. Dick, attached are 2 images- the card (green pebble.co.uk); the 'original' from The Golden Age Of British Motoring. Also is attached illustration from The Magic Of MG showing Jarvis bodied M type. Colin- thanks for the information, we must have driven near to the hill when we crossed Exmoor on the way to Clovelly. Next time in the area, we would like to explore the route of the trial.

M. G. Jones
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000