Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 m type bench seat.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

john gott

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  18:30:31  Show Profile
Hello,
I am looking for a bench seat. for my M type rebuild, any condition will do as I will have it recovered.
Regards to all
John.

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2019 :  22:02:23  Show Profile
Hi John, there isn't much more to M seats than the covers. Mostly people use foam rubber for the seats and backs. I can give you a pattern for the plywood back.
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2019 :  10:59:41  Show Profile
me too ! could you email me the dimensions please - Rich
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3339 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2019 :  12:16:42  Show Profile
Ian
If you send me a scan of the seat back I will add it to document downloads
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

john.crighton

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2019 :  19:22:04  Show Profile
I also would very much appreciate any information on seats for an M Type. I live in Australia.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2019 :  19:57:43  Show Profile
Hello John and a warm welcome to the Forum. We hope you find it useful as too the many resources that the Register has to offer - including the Library, and the combined knowledge and experience that we have accumulated.

Can you please tell us about the M-type? I cannot see your name recorded in our Register as the owner of an M and we, and especially our M-type registrar Mike Dalby would be grateful of the opportunity to update our records!

Best wishes,
Dick Morbey
Register Secretary
Go to Top of Page

john.crighton

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2019 :  00:07:18  Show Profile
Hi Dick. Thank you for the warm welcome. I am a long time MG owner, restorer, rallyer etc, but this is the first time I have ventured into pre-war. The car is a rolling chassis with rebuilt engine and gearbox. It is a 1931 M Type, chassis 2M 2712, engine 2441, MMM 1221, first reg BG168. I bought the car as an unfinished project last year from a fellow Phantom 1 owner, who bought it from Brian Flowers. I understand Flowers imported the car from the UK. My address is 61 Crest Drive, Currumbin, Qld 4223 Australia. My email is johnhcrighton@hotmail.com. Best regards, John
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3339 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2019 :  12:19:37  Show Profile
Thank you Sam, I obviously failed to properly read the original post. Moved 14/1/2019
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2019 :  13:14:46  Show Profile
I think this shows why owners opt for foam rubber for the seat back....

Ian

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2019 :  13:45:04  Show Profile
And the seat was pneumatic, which poses even more challenges if you want to be original.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2019 :  15:24:56  Show Profile
Malcolm, these people advertise that they make pneumatic seat cushions;
https://www.duratank.com/replacing-classic-car-seat-cushions . Having said that I passed it to a friend and he was unable to contact them.....May be worth a try?

I got mine from Bryan Purves; http://www.bryanpurves.co.uk/ but that was perhaps 10 years ago. Again might be worth a try. They're certainly wonderful to ride on, particularly with our suspension!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2019 :  14:19:20  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips Dave.

The Duratank link is a dead end but they now seem to have merged with or been taken over by www.griffonhoverwork.com though the website no longer mentions vintage car seats. Keep them in mind if you ever need a hovercraft. I have a feeling that this may be the company that supplied Keith Durston's "bladder" a while back.

Bryan Purves is just down the road from me. When the time comes, I'll see what they both say. Now, back to that engine...….

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2019 :  18:24:00  Show Profile
These period pictures show the downside of pneumatic upholstery.

Early -

Late -

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2019 :  21:24:18  Show Profile
Sam, from my experience of air seats, they always looked like that when at their most comfortable. Interesting to see good photos of presumably original carpets. Thanks for the photos.
Ian
Go to Top of Page

john gott

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2019 :  13:44:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blue M

Hi John, there isn't much more to M seats than the covers. Mostly people use foam rubber for the seats and backs. I can give you a pattern for the plywood back.

Go to Top of Page

john gott

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2019 :  13:49:45  Show Profile
Hello Blue M, WOULD YOU please send me the seat back profile for my M type ,that would be really helpful.
Regards John.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000