Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 R Type
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KJ1592

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  13:11:01  Show Profile
This photo was posted on the Shelsley Walsh Facebook page a few weeks ago. May be a well know photograph, I’m not sure.

Chris Bucknell

Australia
107 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2019 :  09:50:48  Show Profile
Yeah interesting. Gerhard or Karl which car? Not RA0259 as to my knowledge it did not race at Shelsley. Single cam but don't recall seeing twin exhaust pipe one. It that someone's coat lying on the front as I can't tell what is going on at the bottom of the left front wheel.
Go to Top of Page

Berthold

Switzerland
51 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2019 :  23:13:43  Show Profile
RA0260 ?

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bucknell

Yeah interesting. Gerhard or Karl which car? Not RA0259 as to my knowledge it did not race at Shelsley. Single cam but don't recall seeing twin exhaust pipe one. It that someone's coat lying on the front as I can't tell what is going on at the bottom of the left front wheel.

Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  18:16:32  Show Profile
A photograph I have not seen before but by a process of elimination I think it is RA 0260 in the ownership of George Symonds when he competed at Shelsley Walsh in September 1938 when it is recorded in the excellent Hawke history of Triple-M competition cars as DNF (Did not finish) Perhaps the reason for an open bonnet or even maybe should be a DNS (Did not start) looking at the location of the car.

Many R Types Chris were tried with twin exhaust pipes at various times

Bob
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  21:55:06  Show Profile
Defiantly a head scratcher....

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Wiessmann

Germany
86 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  10:06:13  Show Profile
Hi all,

Yes, it is RA0260, and it may well be at Shelsley on 10 September '38, though the entry number is not visible.
The attached picture shows the car four months before at Shelsley on 28 May '38.

Bob, thanks for the note on the History Book. However, just in this case I have to admit that George Symonds' listing as non-finisher (DNF) will have to be corrected in the next issue. In fact, Symonds performed quite well in this hill climb, coming first in Class 1 in the eliminating morning runs (48.14s, 47.55s) and fourth in Final in the afternoon (46.45s, 46.23s), beating Sir Clive Edwards who came fifth in RA0258, the other R-type in that event.

Regards, Karl
Go to Top of Page

Enfield Allday

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2019 :  15:40:52  Show Profile
Chris Bucknall remarks on the twin pipe exhaust system on G.Symonds R-type, twin pipes were fitted to McEvoy DOHC conversion cylinder heads. RA0259 was fitted with a McEvoy finned inter-cooler between the blower and the head, I wonder how effective it was.
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2019 :  18:18:41  Show Profile
Jay I don't think the inter-cooler fitted to RA0259 by McEvoy was very successful as it was never progressed. He was correct in trying to reduce the inlet charge temperature and thus reduce the loss in charge density. As a general rule when compressing air it's temperature rises such that for every 150 degrees F its density reduces equivalent to a 2psi boost loss. An R type with an engine and supercharger at maximum boost inlet charge temperatures are in the region of 350 - 400 F assuming component efficiencies are as new.
Significant recovery of temperature that was relying on air as a cooling medium is of course subject to that air temperature and speed of car, both variables.
Having said that it does show that this attempt by McEvoy in 1936 to explore inter-cooling indicates his forward thinking when now many of us are driving every day cars many fitted with inter-coolers probably of which the owners are not aware of.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5987 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2019 :  20:06:50  Show Profile
The intercooler on RA0259 was discussed at some length on this thread back in 2010 - http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3201&SearchTerms=Baird,limerick

As the photo of RA0259 referred to is no longer visible on that thread here it is again, compete with intercooler.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000